Evil Genius

Movies that changed your life

Baraka

Communion

American history X

Colours

Alien

Garden state

Transformers...the effects and sound is just mind blowing.

Apocalypto is still my all time fav.

Fear And Loathing - Never before had a movie made me want to take drugs as badly as this did.

I always thought this film failed to get the message through.... or is it the hordes of stoned viewers that fail to get it... I know I did not notice the message and the dark overtone the first time i watched...

Edited by mutant

I always thought this film failed to get the message through.... or is it the hordes of stoned viewers that fail to get it... I know I didn't not notice the message and the dark overtone the first time i watched...

First Exposure, really drunk thinking woah these guys are trippers and drugs are cool.

2nd impression coming down off acid, woah there's bats in his glasses and everything has a trippy fish eye lense effect and the eye candy with the wallpaper crawling everywhere and the lizard people and the eel lady.. all very cool, oh woah! Lucy is a metaphor, Nixon, sacrifice, tripping off of people's suffering and death (adrenachrome, according to myth, can only be obtained from the adrenal gland of a living person, ie: human sacrifice). Wanna try some pure scag? shoot it straight into your eyeballs! middleclass america avoiding the real issues and even turning hostile when confronted with it.

GONZO

I hate to say this, but this place

is getting to me. I think I'm

getting The Fear.

DUKE

Nonsense. We came here to find the

American Dream, and now we're right

in the vortex you want to quit.

You must realize that we've found

the Main Nerve.

GONZO

That's what gives me The Fear.

DUKE

Look over there. Two women fucking

a Polar Bear.

Fucking love this movie! It is all shits and giggles and then gets dark and heavy, reminds me of a mescaline trip becuase as hectic as it gets you're still laughing your ass off by the end of it.

Maybe that experience is essential to 'get it', seemed to help me. Yet most watchers are stoners.

mmm one more little dialogue that me likey...

DUKE

Don't take any guff from those

swine. Remember, if you have any

trouble you can always send a

telegram to the Right People.

GONZO

Yeah... Explaining my Position.

Some asshole wrote a poem about

that once...

GONZO pauses.

GONZO

Probably good advice, if you have

shit for brains.

GONZO boarding plane, turns around and does Nixon pose. [funny fucker]

DUKE (V/O)

There he goes -- one of God's own

prototypes -- a high powered mutant

of some kind never even considered

for mass production. Too weird to

live and too rare to die.

DUKE

Look over there. Two women fucking

a Polar Bear.

Gonzo: "Don't tell me those things... Not now!"

waking life and princess mononoke and how could I forget they live!

Edited by josho

I think the title of this thread has put me off posting a little, as I don't know how many movies have actually changed my life. There are definitely, however, a lot of movies that I have really, really enjoyed. I'll name a few, and try to get a bit of a cross section across genres.

Life as a House - Great film. Entertaining and moving. Somewhat similar atmosphere to American Beauty IMO

Time Bandits - Wacky comedy by Terry Gilliam. Seems like a kids film, but definitely a lot there for adults

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - Best western ever IMO

The Lady Vanishes - Great example of early Hitchcock

The Terminator - No explanation required

The Star Wars Trilogy - As above

Edward Scissorhands - Burton, Elfman, Depp. Amazing and moving fantasy

It's a Wonderful Life - Very cheesy, but somehow brings me to tears every time I watch it

The Court Jester - No explanation

Those are just a few that come to mind. There are a lot of great films out there.

The Big Lebowski was a good one! :lol: It changed my life in that whenever somebody says "dude" i assume they're talking to me... - kinda silly.

O Brother Where art thou - both under and overrated movie, i freaking love it! No Country for Old Men... What can I say? I love those Jewish brothers!

12 Monkeys (+ anything by Terry Gilliam, havn't seen time bandits yet, The Fisherking was good)

Donnie Darko

I like movies that throw in metafiction, when they are self aware in their world that it is fictitious, as this bridges the gap of fantasy/reality and it appears a collaborative co-creation of this reality. A Vicarious reverse causality manifestation that only exists because you're there to observe it... ooooh! Funny Games was disturbing in this way, and thought provoking like a Charles Manson lecture whilst on acid... A disturbing reflection. This movie, like Silence of the Lambs and others shows high society as extremely educated and technically savvy, whilst being pathological and lacking empathy, although having a very good understanding of human drama... lizard scum :P

Edited by The Dude

Anything by the Coen brothers and Terry Gilliam, especially Brazil.

Ghost in the shell series, Akira, Naked Lunch, District 9, Magnolia, Final Fantasy: Avent Children, Total Recall, Aliens Series, The Goonies, The City Of Lost Children, Blade Runner, Planet Terror, Dawn Of The Dead, Amelie, Silent Hill, Tank Girl, Shaolin Temple, Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, Ninja Scroll, El Topo, The Holy Mountain, The Emarald Forest, The Abyss, Dogma are some I can think of now.

• Like 1

Anything by the Coen brothers and Terry Gilliam, especially Brazil.

How the hell did i forget to mention Brazil! = Amazing movie. Got this Orwellian vibe, with some mythopoetic fantasy thrown in. Anyone stuck in this god forsaken system full of bureaucrats and self serving lizards will love it!

Didn't think I would, but I love Amelie, sucker for that movie. The music is dope!

The Fountain is worth watching at least once!

Kevin Smith is a dialogue genius, just like Tarantino... but then my favourite dialogues are in The Big Lebowski.

Mall Rats made it cool to be a slacker that has well articulated opinions on non issues like the distribution of the food court in the mall. Dogma is genius

Watchmen is a great recent movie. It takes a real world scenario and creates an alternate history or fantasy... that is an uncanny depiction of our reality in mythological terms. Instead of referencing their own fictitious being it almost screams that our reality is fictitious... hmmm lets fuck this duality schism right off... there is no fiction!

I need to get into comics but whats the point now? when i was younger, yea. Comics, it seems are bloody awesome at being a mythopoetic mirror to reality, so many more artists so it is much more immediate and dynamic than the moovies.

Edited by The Dude

In the way of graphics novels, anything by Alan Moore is great.. The watchmen obviously.

If you liked the movie then the book will blow your mind. This one comes highly recommended.

It raises the question of morality in regards to a vigilantly and the right to enforce it upon others.

It also depicts society's reactions to the events in the book very well too.

The last mimzy / Howls moving castle / Spirited away .....all kids movies but pretty cool

I saw a movie on SBS really late at night in JAN/FEB 09. I really hope someone saw it and knows what it was called so i can find a copy.

The movie is centered around a Spanish soldier during the Cortez's Invasion. He has gotten in with a local amazon shaman and his tribe. He learns through the shaman that the gold Cortez is after is not really the bright metal gold we all know. For really cortez wants to find the way the shamans talk to the gods (ayahuasca). My memory is very fuzzy and i missed the start but it was a way cool DMT movie. The end scene where the soldier battles Cortez wrapped in massive serpents is the best graphical representation of DMT i have ever seen. The movie is all in spanish can anyone else remember seeing it????

Sounds freaking crazy!

I like this motiff of evil lizards looking for gold.. what sort of gold? :lol:

AVATAR IN 3D!!!!! That movie was awsome. Make sure you go see the 3D version ;)

Slybacon I'm sure you're talking about "Renegade/Blueberry" but your take on it is way off beam.

Saw "Memento" again recently. What a great film. I always forget about it but it's in my top ten fur shur.

I saw a movie on SBS really late at night in JAN/FEB 09. I really hope someone saw it and knows what it was called so i can find a copy.

The movie is centered around a Spanish soldier during the Cortez's Invasion. He has gotten in with a local amazon shaman and his tribe. He learns through the shaman that the gold Cortez is after is not really the bright metal gold we all know. For really cortez wants to find the way the shamans talk to the gods (ayahuasca). My memory is very fuzzy and i missed the start but it was a way cool DMT movie. The end scene where the soldier battles Cortez wrapped in massive serpents is the best graphical representation of DMT i have ever seen. The movie is all in spanish can anyone else remember seeing it????

Yep renegade or blueberry...this is quite a well known movie...the first time I watched it I was actually impressed by the way the film was shot.

Not enough neon colours in the ayahuasca scene for my liking, but it's always going to be hard to interpret such visions through film, if it was easy then I'm sure some of the DMT spaces we have been in would actually scare the pants of the general viewer...for example..

A paisley 50's retro arm chair, that have a vagina for it's seat, swirling robotic tentacle arms coming out the arm rests... that came towards me then connected to my head at 3 various points, then a huge red slimy tongue that came out of the vagina and began to lick and feel my face as if it was a blind person trying to see what I looked like. The three little people doing some frantic shit at the bottom of my peripheral image, then the chair picking me up and placing me on a bench in a shopping precinct..I realise I am in a strip mall in the US, enough of that it's time to look at insanely beautiful geometrical grids that light up as neon pulsing what evers...an aliens head comes up from the centre on a pedestal, it stares at me with no emotion, another frisk of my skull by some long tendrils, the alien turns side on, Buddha, temples, imagery I know but can't explain, a tunnel opens up and some sort of insect runs down it. beautiful green neon staircase changes to red, the Mayan pyramids switching rocks and turning into anything with consummate ease, native american motifs and rug patterns everywhere.

yeah that movie rocks blueberry/ renegade ,

Probably tends to be the flicks I saw as a kid.

Labyrinth

E.T

Flight of the Navigator (don't laugh, it was pretty impressive back then)

Return of the Jedi

Yep renegade or blueberry...this is quite a well known movie...the first time I watched it I was actually impressed by the way the film was shot.

Not enough neon colours in the ayahuasca scene for my liking, but it's always going to be hard to interpret such visions through film, if it was easy then I'm sure some of the DMT spaces we have been in would actually scare the pants of the general viewer...for example..

Thank you so much for that. Really wanted to know what it was as i didn't catch all of it the first time and probably didn't get it properly

. Checked the link below and from memory that looks like it.

As for colours in DMT, I find the further i go the more black/grey/white it gets. My most deepest reaches of my mind have been the least bright and fantastic and more complete experiences. I'm not left as wondering about weird elfs , sony logos or shapeless beings playing with my mind. In these less colorful realms i feel the presence of the divine more. I have never done aya but I'm assuming its like an extended small dose of dmt. 5-meo-dmt i have heard is not colorful at all. From what I've read is much harder to use then NN but definately bigger rewards if you can learn to use properly.

Off the topic but Tryptamine Palace is an awesome book for anyone wanting to try and explain the realms they have visited.

Edited by Slybacon

just got that renegade movie, still seeding if anyone else gets it. Blueberry.2004.DVDRip.XviD.iNT-TLF is the one your looking for.

Botony of Desire was fricken awesome!!!

thanks for the heads up guy's, would have never found these otherwise.

Full Metal Jacket would be up there for me.

I bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you.

haha, love FMJ gerbil :)

Anyone mention Inglourious basterds yet? Tarantino is the king of dialogue

Saw "Memento" again recently. What a great film. I always forget about it but it's in my top ten fur shur.

yeah mate, I have only seen once, and I remember that by the time the film ended I wanted to watch over again to really see what's the score. GReat film. Still only seen it once!

Lots of great movies mentioned, cool tastes :)

Edited by mutant

The Matrix - lets all find the true reality!

Rocky - great feel good movie.

Pulp Fiction - can watch it over and over again.

The Life of Brian - so many good one liners!

Happy Gilmore - laugh your head off.

Many more but these come to mind.