The Corroboree
C_T

Scale...

A contaminated cutting has started to infest my collection...

Am getting sick of just scraping it off, because that will do nothing but make it come back later.

Can someone make me a solution to spay? I dunno, something that may help? I will happily pay for time/material and postage.

Any other suggestions welcome, but i am new to this, and have alot of money invested in my collection. I don't want scale to go through to them all...

white oil bro. kmart.

The problem is... brushing the scale off it just falls into the pots... i want to re-use these with other new ones... but i don't want it infecting others and spreading.

Oil will remove it from the skin, but what will actually kill the parasite or wtf it is? I want it gone forever, its an enclosed balcony 4 stories high... Nothing gets in except cacti i buy.

I want it gone forever, not scrape it off or have to continually oil them every few weeks... Is that possible?

Edit: I had previously read the scale thread, but its still up in the air about what will harm, what works, and how to approach it best.

Some i have are 4 feet tall and thicker than your hand, i can't wash these with warm water etc, it would be a mission... and the peruvianus are so spiney how could you scrape the skin? Nearly impossible. Wondering if anyone has made any breakthroughs.

Edited by C_T

dude. do some research.

once u have scraped the scale of..it dies.there is a lifecycle. as a juvenile the scale can crawl about(very hard to see with naked eye). when mature (the scale you see on your plant) thats how it stays. if the scale is removed in any way, the insect dies.

white oil suffocates the insect that lives under the 'scale'.

great book any gardener should have is 'what garden pest or disease is that?' by judy mcmaugh. gives u organic and chemical controls.

u will never be rid of scale forever. instead seek to control it.

Ok thats the info i was after, thanks heaps incognito.

Your a champ :D

Edit: how on earth would this scale get from 1 pot to the other... crawl? Maybe oil around the pot rims will stop the spread?

Edited by C_T

refer to my post earlier.

dude dont get all monk over some scale.

depending on how bad the infestation is you should quarantine the main offender away from your healthy non infested plants...that's rule number one.

Then you can simply be vigilant with that plant and give it it's course of treatment, I used descale, it's a little expensive at 12bucks a box but really works well.

If you are worried the scale are dropping into the soil etc, just place a cardboard ring around the base of the plant that sits inside the rim of the pot.

most importantly though is to isolate that plant away from the others, if it has infected the others then that's just really not thinking it through and you have taught yourself a lesson.

descale, isolate, treat, nurture, fertilize and smile....remember a plant living in it's optimal healthy conditions is more readily able to resist pests, and other plant ailments.

the infected has long passed... i'm still feeling the aftermath

Thought that got it under control, but then saw my 10 inch seedling with scale spots and argggg!

Edited by C_T

try some confidor, spray over the plant then soak some into the soil.and maybe add some hort oil

Edited by spudamore

u just have to break the cycle.

regular brushing WILL control scale, without the need for chems.

For any here who have had bad experiences with white oil on cacti, this might be of interest.

I had scale, mealies, thrips and white fly break out almost simultaneously in a dense group of indoor cacti and brugs whilst I was absent for a short stretch. Having watched my brugs drop all their leaves on a previous white oiling, I decided to try a pyrethrum spray with a teaspoon's worth of baby shampoo in about two litres, to get through the hydrophobic protections of the various bugs.

Twentyfour hours later - no scale, no mealies, no thrips and no white fly.

Sweet!

The buggers do come back occasionally, but a quick squirt sees them off for a satisfactory period.

u just have to break the cycle.

regular brushing WILL control scale, without the need for chems.

yeah i don't get why people don't just get the old trusty toothbrush out? has always worked for me

Had the same problem CT, I just used some pyrethrum spray and a toothbrush. Can take a while if you let it spread through your collection like I did but it does solve the problem. The scale does start to come back but if you keep on it its not a big job. Don't forget to wear PPE.

WoodDragon's solution sounds interesting I shall try that one out.

I've had bad experiences with white oil and cactus myself. I was told a plant in direct sun sprayed with white oil burns but the cacti I sprayed were in a shed and they went soft and turned into a puddle of ooze. Never again!

might wanna check your roots for mealy just in case too it seems scale likes to follow, and its a real headfuck going through a whole collection too try and get rid of them. scale isnt so much of a problem, white oil yes and or can even just use a toothbrush and soap if your super lazy. Ants harvest scale so keep that in mind also as you might have to deal with the ants, i have a mandarine tree that the ants love putting scale on :rolleyes:

if your gonna do treatments on a hot day do it in the shade or wait till the evening, same with putting sulphur powder on cuts

Ok thanks all for the good replys :)

im still having this problem... i'm cleaning it off by hand but its scarring the cacti and its returning worse every time.

I've been told NOT to put that white oil on, it'll end up with black bits all over my cacti...

SUUUUUURELY THERE'S a better solution! Please help, this is way over 1500 bucks worth of cacti!!!

im seriously desperate, quarantine didn't work

Edited by C_T

descale, isolate, treat, nurture, fertilize and smile....remember a plant living in it's optimal healthy conditions is more readily able to resist pests, and other plant ailments.

Yep, the main offender wasn't healthy and i destroyed it to hopefully be the ultimate quarantine.

Then another one, they have started to pick on.

Its on atleast 6 of mine, if not 12. But they are attacking 1 thats randomly in the middle fiercely... I think because its not as healthy, there's a smaller one just behind it in absolute perfect condition, surrounded by infected ones :(

Bit more light and ventilation (lol, thats my cure for everything) Kepp at em man, like incog mentioned you will never be fully rid of them. The males can fly apparently when mature, I THINK.

Some ppl have mentioned that white oil has killed or scarred their plants but i have never had a problem with it. White oil (homemade) and a toothbrush works wonders, you gotta do it at least once a week until they are gone or so reduced in numbers that it doesnt bother you. I have a few lil ornamentals here covered in scale but they dont spread to other plants and hence i dont have a problem with it. A bit of scale here and there is no drama, its when ya get so many they are killing the plant and turning it into one huge white scar you gotta take measures. If they are continually coming back then im guessin you have you plants situated under a tree, plenty of shade and reasonably cool.

yeah they MUST be flying, its a balcony with no outside interference.

Not alot of wind, would a fan help... There's no way microscopic pests are walking that far!!! from one side to another, and selecting which one they want to stay on and which to keep walking, they are flying for sure!

Thanks for the reply PD. I'll get a few more tooth brushes... got 1 more week off work so will try to fully tackle it before i go back... Theres alot of them and to hand scrub every one of them is going to take days!

Thats why i was after an easier solution :P too good to be true huh. No such thing as easy.

Cheers mate.

i guess if they were outside, natural predators would keep them at bay...

yeah white oil is the shit, but spraying as an aerosol too close to your plants may freeze them so hold aways away, but scale die and thats good .... some cacti i have had scale on would have been impossible to toothbrush them off ,like Mammallaria

it really makes me wanna setup my 400 watt hps system for them, but i swear some neighbor will think i'm growing weed and a random day at 6am the door will be busted in...

it really makes me wanna setup my 400 watt hps system for them, but i swear some neighbor will think i'm growing weed and a random day at 6am the door will be busted in...

A couple of fishtank grow flouros would make all the difference.

Most of the cactus I have seen with scale have been suffering from water stress.

solution..

Bigger pot filled right to the top

Less organic material in the mix (not "no organic material" just less)

Clay/Crusher Dust/pulverised scoria/bauxite to increase the water retention of the mix

get the pH right (7-8) to increase the disease resistance of the plant

including scoria or crusher dust in the mix will ensure that the pH stays where it should

be for the long haul.

If I can add my 2¢

Try brushing with a old toothbrush and use a water hose to spray them off

I wouldn't use any oil based insecticides as it'll damage the plant

Best to move the infected out of the way and work them over once the first week

twice the second and a follow up on the third.

The key is to interrupt their life cycle with keeping the hatchling "crawlers" from maturing

while removing the adults

Infections can be spread via infected plants direct contact or via insect transport.

They can be controlled if the host plant is well taken care of :)