The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Magistrate assigns essay on drug dangers

SOURCE

A Sydney magistrate has given a man charged over possession of ecstasy a written assignment to escape a conviction.

John Daiken has pleaded guilty to possessing two ecstasy tablets at Maroubra on Sydney's eastern beaches in September.

The 24-year-old faced Waverley Local Court this morning where the Magistrate Lee Gilmour told his lawyer she wanted a written assignment from him.

The lawyer looked surprised and turned to his client to make sure he understood the magistrate's request.

The Magistrate told him to come back to court with a paper on ecstasy - what is in it, what its effects are and how much it costs the community.

She lectured him at length and told him not to use google or cut and paste from websites.

The court heard that Daiken has a clean record and the magistrate says she will decide if it stays that way when she reads his assignment.

^^^LOL, like literally laughing out loud. wtf?

Would be good to see a proper essay highlighting it's positive and negative effects and the cost to the community of a hypocritical drug policy where only the status quo inebriants/medications are condoned irrespective of their real life effects, merely the repeatable hypnotic suggestions of what they are, citing the dangers of tobacco/alcohol and prescription meds and the real life consequences of those respective drugs versus the drugs that get demonised by the hypnotised public.

Further attention should be drawn to human models of behaviour as dictated by social/political/business conventions and how this itself may be a source of 'the problem' rather than the convenient scapegoat which people turn to to alleviate and sometimes, to an extent to fix the problem.

The final point should be that it is the dynamics of subordination/rebellion which may actually provoke a rebellious intoxication to the extents of overdose of illegal drugs and the sanctioning of alcohol which may create the same effect in the more loyal law-abiding puppets. So to some extent the judge (or the position she holds) can be held accountable for the motivations of the free-will of people.

"If consequences dictate my course of action; it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught

If consequences dictate my course of action I should, I should play god and just shoot you myself!"

Then Maynard needs to appear and scream "Shoot you in your fucking head!"

Maybe courts can be a good arbiter of right/wrong for the laymen that need such an authority for ethical decision making. For people with pride in their own moral/ethical judgments and their own free-will the whole facade seems quaint; a remnant of the dark ages. If one is to highlight the inconsistencies of the ideal of justice with the imperfect realities of personal judgments and prejudices and crash down the whole facade of a perfect self contained system which can account for all human activity and their deliverance to justice, the judges whole foundation of their persona and reason for being is attacked so in their defensiveness they prove to you their validity of being with an even harsher penalty (which of course highlights the personal nature and fallibility of the law system)... With that in mind, the essay should be whatever the fuck this dumb bitch wants to read.

[edit]

^^^

That last section seemed a bit holier than thou, it's not that my moral decision making is infallible, it's just that I'm in control. I honestly believe that if we all took control that a harmonious anarchy could prevail (sure they're head in the clouds ideals but so is the legal system). There will be violence and turmoil, such as that carried out by criminals which pay a percentage to the police who 'manage' them at the moment.

A system culled of the legal jargon and semantic shit fights in the court with their words as their rackets and your fate as the tennis ball, where even simple issues of right/wrong can be heightened to such an abstracted level of vague uncertainty so that black is portrayed as white, where justice is a matter of the most bestest (yet within the standards set) word usage and not much else. (ooh i forgot the money of course)

It's just a big money making scam, stay within set confines which cost you money which we the lizards tax, otherwise we'll have to tax you some more and mark you with a record that you are no longer the good citizen... UNLESS you brainwash yourself into believing what we believe.. why? cuz they told us to and we believed them.

...goddammit they be demanding.

:wave-finger:

Edited by The Dude

If I received a question like the one set out by the magistrate I would be a little confused. I wonder how many words he gets to use. I reckon I could whack up a 3000 worder in a day on that subject and still not have half the story told.

Also as the nature of critical thinking is being able to see opposing points, does this leave the bro able to show the pro's and con's? Can he reference experimental studies? Or does this essay need to be anti-mdma? And for that matter, asking whats in x is a weird question to start with...

I'm a bit stupid in this area but if you got busted with some xtacy pills don't they just get counted as being mdma? or are they tested for all the different chems in them and you are charged with the varying constituents in them?

But yay, I'd rather write an essay than go to goal! Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. Educate the magistrates lol

^^^LOL, like literally laughing out loud. wtf?

Would be good to see a proper essay highlighting it's positive and negative effects and the cost to the community of a hypocritical drug policy where only the status quo inebriants/medications are condoned irrespective of their real life effects...

Careful, who knows what could happen to humans if laws started making sense :P

I love how the liver killer paracetamol can be purchased in any amount by anyone, and is advertised on television as a means of overcoming a night of intoxication of the other great liver killer, alcohol.

fair call. the guy is lucky he had such an open-minded magistrate.

hopefully he learns something!

Such as the lesson that other people can attempt to force one what to think by an abuse of power? A fine lesson indeed :D

If his conviction [and clean record] is to be based on her opinion of his essay he needs to think hard about what she wants of his essay, does she want to be challenged with the facts because she is open minded, or does she want him to concede defeat to the great arbiter of justice that is the state? Does she want to enact some judge judy-esque chastising of this kid like a schoolkid having to write lines on the blackboard? She most likely implied quite strongly what she wants of his essay by what she spoke of his offence and what the law states and stern looks of disappointment in his direction.

If she wanted a research paper to determine his fate does she want an honest paper? And what do the facts have to do with following the law? He should write a balanced research paper and then at the end include that he still believes he is wrong for breaking the law and getting caught, but that the law is also wrong (if he believes that) and then that's not what the question is about, it was about mdma facts, but what has that to do with following the fucking law! like nazis and fascists want us to, so what the fuck is the point of this paper? Is it for me to vent, or to find things out for myself, or to educate you or to just smile and nod and agree with you and go to all those anti-drug propaganda style websites to regurgitate the tripe you want to hear?

If his fate is decided by his own words... are they going to be his own words? I really do not think she is open minded and this is cruel and unusual punishment, having this person write an essay to her specifications, most likely having to go against his own beliefs and state otherwise to the truth of the matter... shit reminds me of plea bargains and the bs illusion of truth and justice in the legal system in general.

I had a judge give me a 500 word essay on the use of pot about 20 yrs ago :blush:

i wish i had have kept a copy

all im seeing is instead of magistrate fining or incarcerating she is getting him to reasearch the drug he was busted for. Maybee he will be ablt to make better informed decisions regarding the drug with his newly aquired knowledge???

pills are shit!

pills are shit!

yeah, powder rules.

seriously though geezer, as long as the pill is what it claims to be, MDMA seems to be one ov the safest & most fun drugs available.

all im seeing is instead of magistrate fining or incarcerating she is getting him to reasearch the drug he was busted for. Maybee he will be ablt to make better informed decisions regarding the drug with his newly aquired knowledge???

pills are shit!

"The Magistrate told him to come back to court with a paper on ecstasy - what is in it, what its effects are and how much it costs the community."

"The court heard that Daiken has a clean record and the magistrate says she will decide if it stays that way when she reads his assignment."

That is the leading response with this 'open-minded' magistrate. He could of course change the question to 'and how much it costs the community due to its illegality, and what benefits legalisation would bring'.

She's asking a loaded question from a position of power, wanting nothing more than a response the reinforces her own belief, the dominant discourse, as is the way of those who like to use power to dominate others. Without the threat of force(incarceration and/or fine as you mentioned) the response could actually be an honest one, even if it was something like 'Ecstacy is MDMA but can be mixed with shit, it makes me feel great, full of love and energetic and I dance all night long. If I don't take 5-HTP with it though I get a really bad comedown. Not sure what it costs the community, but it usually costs me $25 a pill. I find it a much safer and more enjoyable experience to drinking myself stupid like most of my friends do'. A perfectly acceptable(albeit limited) response to her question.

no, the magistrate wants the assignment to read the way she thinks.

Which means you could not get away with saying anything positive about mdma.

SOURCE

The Magistrate told him to come back to court with a paper on ecstasy - what is in it, what its effects are and how much it costs the community.

She lectured him at length and told him not to use google or cut and paste from websites.

I would use the opportunity to address many points if it were my essay. She said to not use Google or cut and paste web pages. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to use another search engine like Yahoo etc, whats to say he can't pull up web pages with appropriate data, reading, understanding, putting it into your own words via a word processor. I would put forward an extremely neutral essay leaving my main emphasis on street drug purity, controlled environment trials and the pro's and cons of the drug.

This guy has an ideal opportunity to possibly educate the exact type of persons we are trying to get to listen to facts and reality. I'm hoping the guy has a half a brain & is smart enough to use the loop holes the magistrate has left and gathers the "right" data and not just write some bollocks a friend tells him or something.

Drugs are illegal. Doesn't matter how good it is, in the magistrates eyes its wrong!

End of story. Question the validity of its illegality and the magistrate will throw the book at you, making an example.

[edit] more angry rambles [edit]

Edited by The Dude