The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rogdog

National Police Certificate (aus)

I was going to bump my Busted in Adelaide thread, but it's full of chat and not much content.

I recieved my National Police Certificate, and despite my not getting a conviction for the growing more than the proscribed ammount of plants charge, the charge still shows up on my NPC. Lesson to all, if you really cant have this kind of charge on your record, get your lawyers to make sure the charge is dropped totally ie; never appears in a courtroom

Spent conviction is probably something to look into.

Legal Aid has an application package.

Spent conviction is probably something to look into.

Legal Aid has an application package.

I wish I could stay out of trouble for five years regarding spent conviction! In SA at least, legal aid is only if you are facing prison time.(or a special catagory that white males dont fit into)

So, if someone was to plead guilty to a charge but have "no conviction recorded", it's still likely to be on a certificate? Permanent?

Edited by Alchemica

So, if someone was to plead guilty to a charge but have "no conviction recorded", it's still likely to be on a certificate? Permanent?

Absolutely..that's what I am saying. If you plead guilty, and even not get a conviction, it will still show up on your police clearance papers

[edit] not sure about the five year spent conviction business, I've never managed to stay out of trouble that long ;)

Edited by rogdog

How specific is the wording rogdog?

ie do they go into details eg x plants or is it just say "drug possession"

How specific is the wording rogdog?

ie do they go into details eg x plants or is it just say "drug possession"

The certificate lists all offenses by date. No details apart from the charge and outcome and fines

The certificate says what court I went to, the date, the offense, outcome, result, and an AP number

My offense was: 'Cultivate more than presribed number of Cannabis plants', outcome is 'without conviction', result is 'fined $500'. As writen on the certificate, there for young and old to read for the rest of my life.

I am really pissed off to have this charge on my record for ever...sure I did the wrong thing, but it was all contained on my own property. Such is life?

Edited by rogdog

I wish I could stay out of trouble for five years regarding spent conviction! In SA at least, legal aid is only if you are facing prison time.(or a special catagory that white males dont fit into)

Im pretty sure however not 100% as we are in different states that there is something called a spent conviction kit. You certainly would not be alone in being pissed off in paying $60+ bucks on a police clearance that more incriminates rather than clears you.

I had a very minor fine $200 for a simple and very trivial offense 13 years ago. 11 years ago also a fine $250 for basically the same thing. Now when i applied the application said minor offenses would be spent on a Police Clearance. It came back and had the 13 years ago on but not the 11 years ago.

What really annoyed me was that when i went to court, i said to the Judge i was worried it might affect work and travel in the future, the judge said it was a spent conviction. Now further research indicates those offenses deemed minor ie small fine or elapsed 10 years or more will not be recorded anymore. So it all seems a bit inconsistant to me and there is a number on the top right hand side of the clearance for enquiries. Im not convinced Legal Aid is for jailbirds only, there are heaps of services available.

As for now i think its a bit of a rort. You could argue if you didnt do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Imagine the millions of police clearances being issued, just a fucking simple screen print of something that should be free. What a great idea.......some pleb realised that those with conviction will apply to spend and pay another $60 to get another one. Congratulations you have just spent MIN $120 on a blank sheet of paper. All the others congratulations again for staying trouble free you have just paid $60 for a piece of paper.

Unless you really need one like your applying for parliement just dont bother about it job hunters. In 3 previous applications for jobs i got, i was asked to produce a police clearance. Simply when asked i said i didnt have one but i could go to the post office now if you want. Employers know it takes 5-15 days and they decide most of the time immediately if you get the job. Also from a business perspective some of the best workers are the so called crims and if a large workforce would be screwed if they got rid of 'dirty' workers. For a fact in a large well reputed company i worked for it was recognised that at least a 3rd of employees didnt have the cleanest of habits and past and if compulsory police checks were applied they would not have a engine to work the car.

I am no angel, that's for sure, but generally, I am just an easygoing guy who likes to experiment with entheogens during my free time.

Having a 'drug' related conviction might affect any voluntary work I might plan to do in the future. Although I know an aged care worker who has two drink-driving convictions, and a possesion of grass conviction, and she doesn't seem to have problems changing jobs.

Guess I better get used to the idea of production line work, or get self employed

I had a charge of possession several years back. When i applied for a Police cert for Employment, it came back clean, when i asked the officer at the desk he said for minor offenses they are not recorded if you have been clean for 10 years or more. (That was N.S.W.)