The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Found a nice cactus garden on my 1800k drive

th_10983_IMG_3781_122_213lo.jpgth_10985_DSC05225_122_217lo.JPGth_10987_DSC05226_122_342lo.JPGth_10989_DSC05228_122_356lo.JPG

th_10991_IMG_3540_122_717lo.jpgth_10999_IMG_3775_122_509lo.jpg

I stopped and took a few photo\'s. Drove off, but then turned around and went back and chatted with the guy and asked for a few cuts, even though I had nothing to offer in return other than the promise that I would post sum clones, he didn\'t have, up to him when I returned home.

Said his pach keeps getting chopped by kids even though he\'s in middle bum fuck tiny town. They havn\'t touched any of his others though. He gave me a few cuts of the pedro he had lying out the back and also the huge cut like 1.2M long and prolly 25cm at thickest point I think is a scop. Said he was happy to cut it off, he had been meaning o anyways cause it was scared and a but unsightly.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

th_11006_IMG_3776_122_1034lo.jpgth_11014_IMG_3777_122_524lo.jpg

th_11026_IMG_3779_122_535lo.jpgth_11030_IMG_3780_122_477lo.jpg

Is the last pic here a peruvian or similar?

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

Is the last pic here a peruvian or similar?

chiloensis

sweet, wats the second from last? anyone.

Pretty sure it isn't a trich.........

Edited by naja naja

wow a thorny devil, good find man, would be cool to find one of them.

good cactus too hehe

The ones you got are definately PC pach and scopulicola. I'd agree with chilensis in the last pic of the 2nd post.

Edit, on a close up pic of the suspected chilensis, I'd actually lean towards cuzcoensis. They can get spiny as hell in certain conditions, and the heavily notched, raised areoles indicate cuzco. Damn there are some cool cacti in the background!

Edited by Ace

Edit, on a close up pic of the suspected chilensis, I'd actually lean towards cuzcoensis. They can get spiny as hell in certain conditions, and the heavily notched, raised areoles indicate cuzco. Damn there are some cool cacti in the background!

i'm gonna stick with chiloensis. i remember a discussion about some plants that i got a couple of years ago which look very very similar to naja's plant. i'll see if i can find it...here we go..

(edit: ignore the plant at the top)

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...c=16070&hl=

i remember a number of other threads which seemed to confirm to me that chiloensis is the most appropriate name for this plant

cool garden by the way :)

Edited by xodarap

Awesome find! .. .. .. They look quite healthy. It would be great to have a garden like that growing.

Sorry xoda - I actually meant knuthianus originally, not cuzcoensis (doh!). Hmm, a second read through your linked thread seems to bring up both what I would think are knuthianus and chiloensis. I reckon that which was in the first post (of the linked thread) is knuthianus, however many of the following photos are that of chiloensis. After reading that thread, I'd probably agree with your ID on the plant in question in this thread.

T. chiloensis it is :)

Either way, I'm damn envious of that awesome cacti garden that Naja stumbled across!!

very nice collection & all so healthy

looks like a very sandy soil with a small amount of red loam , do you mind me asking what part of the country that is

Wow, that's an incredible collection! Imagine having a garden like that...

Is that a whale skull in the background? It looks massive. :o

Imagine having a garden like that

:drool2:

im working on it , its a long term project over many years & have only been at it for just under 12 months but im proud of my small but valuable (to me ) collection of cacti

This is fucking great, share this kind of pics more often :)

the upper top of chiloensis looks also like my wendermanianus

• Like 1

So where the fuck did my last 2 pics go? :scratchhead:

Scrap that, mustu been a glitch. They there now.

Edited by naja naja

So where the fuck did my last 2 pics go? :scratchhead:

Scrap that, mustu been a glitch. They there now.

yeah i did not see the pics in post #2 until just now ??

the XXX webcam popups are rather annoying when viewing the pics full size :P

I picked up a 1.6m length of pach that looks very similar to the cuts in first pics from a random door knock yesterday will post a pic when i pick my camera up

i find most cacti people are usually happy to give you a few cuts if you only ask them, the old couple even said they would be happy to start a local cacti & succulent club group if i wanted very nice people :wink:

Edited by mac

That second to last pic isnt even a Trichocereus.

It is a Stenocereus sp cacti, probably S. pruinosus or S. griseus.

Awesome pics man.

wow! great photos!

naja naja I'm from Chile and I can say 100% sure that the plant isn't T. chiloensis.

T. chiloensis is a thicker plant and have more ribs and stouter spines, to me the cactus is a T. cuzcoensis.

Pd: sorry for the bad english!

damn bro, you lucky guy finding moloch!!! that is one of my favourite animals on earth, such amazing critters....i can only dream in my books, and you got pick one up!

<--envious

nice cacti too :)

wow! great photos!

naja naja I'm from Chile and I can say 100% sure that the plant isn't T. chiloensis.

T. chiloensis is a thicker plant and have more ribs and stouter spines, to me the cactus is a T. cuzcoensis.

Pd: sorry for the bad english!

it may not be chiloensis, but theres no way its cuzcoensis.

chiloensis is an extremely variable species, to a very large degree that variabilty relates to rib count & spination. it's been discussed before that it's been observed that old T. chiloensis growing in habitat (chile) generally are of a much larger girth & much greater rib count than young plants propagated by cuttings.

T chiloensis

trichocereus-chilensis.JPG

t_chilensis_form.jpg

not saying it is necisarily definitely chiloensis but there is no way whatsoever that it is cuzcoensis & taking everything into account from what i've seen, chiloensis is by far the closest match.

dude i'd love to see some T. chiloensis pics from the feild if you can get some!

Edited by paradox

Paradox, What makes you say its "theres no way its cuzcoensis."

Im not familiar with chiloensis, but the plant being discussed matches quite closely to T. cuzcoensis plants Ive seen in the field in cuzco area.

well it's a bit of a rash statement i know but i have many cuttings of what i believe is definitely the same plant in naja's pic & i also have many T. cuzcoensis' & if naja's plant in question is the same as the ones i have then there is no way it is cuzcoensis. not even a question.

when you see this plant in person, the angularity of the notches & ribs & the stoutness of the spines is really outstanding, nothing like i've ever seen possible in cuzcoensis & that angularity is just so reminiscent of chiloensis. all else into account i can't find closer links to any other species whatsoever. but thats just me & i guess these things tend to be pretty subjective.

Edited by paradox