The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cisumevil

RIP Les Paul :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8200385.stm

Les Paul, whose pioneering electric guitars were used by a legion of rock stars, has died at the age of 94.

Mr Paul died from complications of pneumonia in New York, according to Gibson, the firm that sold his guitars.

He is credited with developing one of the first solid-body electric guitars, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock.

He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing.

And he was credited with inventing the eight-track tape recorder.

U2 guitarist The Edge, Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, Guns N' Roses star Slash and The Who's Pete Townshend are among those closely associated with the Les Paul sound.

Slash described him as "an exceptionally brilliant man".

The guitarist said: "Les Paul was a shining example of how full one's life can be. He was so vibrant and full of positive energy. I'm honoured and humbled to have known and played with him over the years."

Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman of Gibson Guitar, said: "His influence extends around the globe and across every boundary."

Gibson president Dave Berryman said: "As the 'father of the electric guitar', he was not only one of the world's greatest innovators but a legend who created, inspired and contributed to the success of musicians around the world."

Hall of Fame

Mr Paul was also a successful performer in his own right, notching up 11 US number one singles and 36 gold discs with his wife Mary Ford.

He was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1978 and the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

Les Paul began as a country and jazz musician, playing with such acts as Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole.

Unhappy with acoustic guitars, he had begun experimenting with guitar amplification at the age of 13 by placing a telephone receiver under the strings.

He created his first solid-body electric guitar, dubbed "the log", in 1941. "I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labelled as a nut," he later said.

It did not go on sale for another 11 years, by which time Leo Fender's rival Telecaster model was already on the market.

In 1948, Mr Paul almost died in a car crash that shattered his right arm and elbow. Afterwards, he convinced doctors to set his broken arm in the guitar-picking and cradling position.

He continued to refine his guitar design throughout the 1950s. Its basic structure has barely changed over the decades and continues to be popular among stars and amateurs alike.

"Suddenly, it was recognised that power was a very important part of music," he said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible."

His work on taping techniques began after World War II, when Bing Crosby gave him a tape recorder.

Multi-tracking - where separate recordings are combined - was first heard in the 1950 number one hit How High the Moon, a duet with Ford.

Stephen Lawson, editor of Total Guitar magazine, said: "It was a beautiful guitar… it was hand crafted, it was carved, it was a really beautiful looking instrument.

"I've been trying to imagine a world without Les Paul - it would be so different. Until he invented multi-track recording, you had to make a record gathered round a microphone in the middle of room.

"One of the most obvious classic Les Paul Guitar solos is Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N' Roses - that intro has such a distinctive Les Paul sound to it.

"It can go from a mellow beautiful sound that really hits you in your soul, all the way to a shredding searing lead guitar tone."

Was a legend for sure.........

The fucking Les Paul sound is awesome in a live situation. Big, meaty tones.

jimmy%20page%20led%20zeppelin%2015.jpg

AdamJones.jpg

Edited by B. Loco

I still remember the first time I played a Les Paul bacc in '75. Memorable experience.

RIP Les.

It's a sad loss! That guy was the godfather of music. I have a gig tonight so it seems fitting I should play my cherryburst Les Paul guitar!

Indeed it is sad news, but a productive life well lived and pretty decent innings! Shine on Lester!!!

RIP. Such a great mind and talent. Seemed to be a gentleman too.

It's a sad loss! That guy was the godfather of music. I have a gig tonight so it seems fitting I should play my cherryburst Les Paul guitar!

A good friend of mine has a gig tonight too :) Are you in Sydney?

Not so sad, we've all got to go sometime. He had a great innings, brought joy to many and will be remembered for a long time - which is all anyone can ask for in life. (I never did buy a Les Paul - but was very fond of my SG...)

Cheers Les.

yes,death should not be so sad......esp when someone has led such a great and long life.....much to celebrate!

t s t .

RIP. Such a great mind and talent. Seemed to be a gentleman too.

A good friend of mine has a gig tonight too :) Are you in Sydney?

No in shanghai - I'm gonna post up some mp3's in the creativity section of our band soon.

yeah a real pioneer. Still, Ive always preferred single coil pickups - the les paul with the p90s soapies were the best.

Good to see respect for this amazing man....

Anyone who plays knows the enormity of his impressions upon the musical world.. In a way, he has shaped music as we know it

A truly great man....

RIP Les!

Good to see respect for this amazing man....

Anyone who plays knows the enormity of his impressions upon the musical world.. In a way, he has shaped music as we know it

A truly great man....

RIP Les!

Not really........ C'mon man ! That's a big statement.

Not really........ C'mon man ! That's a big statement.

Let me ask you.. Do you play the guitar? by your post above I assume you do.., Are you any good?

Are you aware of the multitude of musicians spanning ALL musical genres who play Les Pauls? by your post above I assume you do..

Please let me in of a bit of your musical background and why you think my "big statement" is incorrect before I unleash paragraphs of examples of who played em, who was influenced by those people who played them, You have touched a nerve of mine.. (i really do hope you play, or are a competent musician, a least a little weight to your argument)

If you would like to continue this debate, I say we start a little personal thread so as to not be disrespectful of peoples wishes to pay their respects...

edit: I forgot to note your selective highlighting of quotations.. Big difference dude.........

-IN A WAY, he has shaped music as we know it-

-He has shaped music as we know it....-

also,, You are questioning the man who invented multitrack recording!!! And you think that my statement is bold?? The beautiful stereo imaging and clarity of individual instruments the you hear evertime you listen to your favourite music IS BECAUSE LES PAUL EXISTED!!! Can you tell me of any other professional recording techniques used? You cant, can you? And you think he hasnt ("in a way"...... which now, I am happy to drop that prefix) shaped music the way we know it???????? You obviously lack the credentials to back up your piss weak comment...

I apologize to others who take offence to my using this thread with anger..

I have been a musician for 25 years, and I get a little emotional about this sorta stuff...

B.Loco......

please.....bring it on!

Edited by sethomopod

Let me ask you.. Do you play the guitar? by your post above I assume you do.., Are you any good?

Are you aware of the multitude of musicians spanning ALL musical genres who play Les Pauls? by your post above I assume you do..

Ive owned a les paul before and I found PAF humbuckers to really only had a few applications. Never heard a Les paul sound particularly good playing surf or rockerbilly (jaguars and Gretsch). I sold my Les Paul after two years because I was sick of sounding like Slash, Bernard Butler (who opted for the hollow bodies like ES-335s so he could get some decent feedback) and gary Moore depending on what amp or pedal I was using. I could get some nice blues sounds out of it and some biting riffs but it was all a bit one dimensional.

I also found it much more difficult to get nice recordable sounds out of the guitar. It was nice live, but recorded it always sounded very thin and maybe muffled - and the pickups were brand new too.

Years later I played one with p90s in it and it was much nicer by far and had much more warmth.

But Ill always be (sorry les) a Fender Jaguar or jazzmaster fan myself - much better variations in tones and I chucked in some p90s into a surf green jazzmaster and trust me it was fucking amazing.

As far as Gibson's go, Id have to say that Id play an ES-335 with a bigsby over a Les paul any day of the week.

I wasnt aware Les Paul invented multi-track recording - that is ofcourse one of the biggest steps in modern recording. Great guy, and popular guitars, but I often wonder whether their popularity now days is more to do with their look than their versatility.