The Corroboree
Torsten

Do you remember bluetonguedragon?

I should have done this months ago, but at the time it all seemed so unreal.

Many of you would know bluetonguedragon/jamie who started the brisbane meets and for a long time was a major driving force in the queensland ethnobotany crew. He was always such a gentle and fair person who would guide with his serenity and passion - a very different style to most other motivators in this community. He brought many of the Qld crew together and many friendships have endured from that time. The brisbane meets carried on with the same core group for several years even if Jamie did not attend the latter ones due to family committments.

Last year Jamie took his family on an overseas holiday to a wild jungle paradise where they all contracted a tropical bug from the drinking water. They all got better, but Jamie relapsed soon after and died a few days later from a type of septecemia, leaving behind his wife and child.

Ethnobotany was a huge part of Jamie's life and his wife feels the plants are still a link to who he was. His treasured plants are being maintained to keep that connection alive. Jamie has done so much for our community and it would be nice if we could do something to remember him by or at least to show his family that the time he spent with us rather than them was very much appreciated by us.

There is a memorial in November which sadly I won't be able to attend as I am booked elsewhere, but if you knew Jamie or his family well then maybe get in touch. I think as a community we also should do something to honour his committment to the plants - ideas anyone?

i never knew bluetoungedragon but i'm really saddened by this news. what a tradgedy. if we find another strain of cacti that we could name after him.. i know its not much but it seemed a fitting tribute to psycho0.. a blue tounge dragon bridgie...i can see it now, lots of lovely blue shades on it.

maybe set up some sort of garden somewhere for him...people could contribute rare species or strains of plants..i don't know just a thought..

yep, sure i remeber him, and this is surly very sad news,

naming a plant or cacti in his honer would be certainly a very good idea.

a naturaly fitting cacti would be our blue pedro.

Yes, I knew Jamie... Mesquelero told me about his death some time ago.

He was quite a passionate individual, and had experienced powerful revelations through the plants.

I always felt we saw eye to eye and was of course saddened to hear of his passing.

Julian.

Sorry to hear.

Purely a suggestion but what about a macrogonus? like this:

post-5043-1249957195_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it could do with a name... wouldn't be surprised if more of it could get around. Does some interesting colours, IMO anyway.

Edited by Alchemica

Thats very sad. im sorry to hear. Did he die from Leishmanniosis?

I like the idea of naming cactus clones by the name of dead members. We could do that anytime some of our guys passes away to make sure their names wont be forgotten in the community. bye Eg

Sorry to hear.

Purely a suggestion but what about a macrogonus? like this:

I wonder if it could do with a name... wouldn't be surprised if more of it could get around. Does some interesting colours, IMO anyway.

that's the one,

anyway my hand is up to name this cacti strain bluetonguedragon!! :wub:

i guess we all know which cacti we are talking about,

what was the sab created name for it again, as i have forgotten....?

just so to confirm, we all mean the same cacti.

sounds like a great idea to me. it'd be like a physical link to his plane of existence in a way.

is there much of that cactus already circulating around australia at the mo?

RIP bluetonguedragon

Edited by mu.

sounds like a great idea to me. it'd be like a physical link to his plane of existence in a way.

is there much of that cactus already circulating around australia at the mo?

RIP bluetonguedragon

post-92-1250302280_thumb.jpg

i think it may be this one, a few people would have been growing it for a while now,

will become harder to keep track of amongst all these icaros!

RIP bluetonguedragon

How do we get in touch with his family to find out the details of the memorial

asking now

Kris has said to get the details from me when they are made available a bit closer to the day. So, anyone seriously intending to go to the memorial on that day please make a post here and then I will contact you via PM when I get the details [or you can ask me closer to the day].

I like the suggestions about naming a strain after Jamie. However, to avoid confusion I wonder if it should be something new? If anyone has an interesting and desirable strain that hasn't been spread far and wide yet then I think this would be a great opportunity for naming. We've got some really funky hybrids coming up soon in our nursery and if nothing else turns up I'd be happy to release one like that and give freebees to a few of the generous people who will then spread it far and wide. I am not really up to date with the hottest new cactus strains at the moment, so maybe I am missing something. Is there a new strain where all pieces could be traced to be named?

i would happily give out a bunch of cuts from the cactus i recently found to be named after bluetoungue. it's only a pedro but a lot of the branches have a beautiful blue tinge to it. though i think something a bit more unique than a pedro might be better. otherwise everyone would go around naming their pedro as a new strain.

Hi

I'm Kris, Jamies' wife. I just wanted to say thank you for thinking about Jamie and considering naming a cactus after him - he would love that!

I have a memorial planned to mark the first year of his passing. It was on November 13th 2008 but the memorial will happen up here on the Sunshine Coast on the 14th of November 2009 at 2.30pm. If anyone would like to attend you are more than welcome. I've emailed the details to Torsten so he can forward them to you.

I just wanted to say thanks and invite you along.

I'm glad Jamie was a part of this community. Through him and his reading I learnt a few things too and I think that it has helped me spiritually and I would also like to think that it prepared him too for the next stage of his journey.

He is sadly missed but is never forgotten and is always around us in many ways. A psychonaut now on the ultimate journey of discovery...

I've passed the details onto a couple of people already, but I hope there will be more. Please make sure to get in touch before the 4th because I will be at EGA and have a busy week on my return which may delay responses.