The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

santiago

Why wouldnt you eat a dog

vegan.

a friend of mine feeds her dog vegan dog food & nothing else... now is that wrong?

i don't know about 'wrong' but i think it's absurd & i feel sorry for the poor confused carnivore..

i was gonna say that being on a vegan diet might mean that it has less chance of being infested with parasites & such so perhaps if & when i'm hungry enough i'll head around to her place... but on second thoughts i can't help but think that the poor deprived animal must try to eat festy, rotting shit out of bins every chance it gets!

Y'all come over to my house this weekend and we'll eat some dog :)

I'd seriously def. eat dog... why the hell not???

"Keep your morality to yourself and let me do what I want when I want as long as it does not harm a fellow human."

Morals aside its wasteful & unsustainable to eat carnivores & in doing so you do hurt others just as much as any other unsustainable practice hurts others/ the planet.

Of which i too am guilty. The human condition to continue to do harmful things even though you know better..

an earlier post from the thread.

"On a side note it is very wasteful & not environmentaly friendly.

Dogs are carnivores & its not very sustainable to eat carnivores when you could just eat what ever it is they eat.

I tried not eating tuna for a while there but I can't help myself I just got sick of sardines & herrings... "

Vegan/vego dogs on the other hand...

stressed meat is only tough if it is long term stressed. Meat doesn't suddenly turn tough when an animals gets frightened. In fact, stress would increase the lactic acid in the muscle which would help to tenderise the meat [like marinating in yogurt].

Anyone ever been to abattoir ?

Overnight at an abattoir is one of the eeriest most disturbing experiences you can have, it's like the cattle know what they are are in for.

Some of the beasts stay there in small holding pens for several days and they're stressed. Put that stress on top of the beasts being removed from their farm and then a jammed truck ride with no room to move,drivers with electric prods and a lack of water and you almost always get stressed cattle. By the time they are slaughtered they could easily have been stressed for 4 or 5 days.

That's just agribusiness though and we all contribute in some way.

Morals aside its wasteful & unsustainable to eat carnivores & in doing so you do hurt others just as much as any other unsustainable practice hurts others/ the planet.

If you repeatedly decimate the population of the carnivores, then I would agree with you but who eats a dog everyday? So you're telling me its just as sustainable to burn vast tracts of forest to get grazing area for cattle? It's sustainable to farm raise salmon? It's sustainable to raise chicken in massive farms using antibiotics? Before we became civilized, mankind ate anything they could get their hands on. They didn't worry about whether it was sustainable or whether they were pets or whether it was carnivorous or a herbivore. Anything we do on this planet impacts it either way so I don't think this argument about sustainability flies. That's just another morality issue to me. If its all about sustainability, might as well go live in a case with no electricity and self sustained farming, or living life as a hunter/gatherer off the land.

none of this would be an issue if we all lived in dessert like you do.

Anyone else see that woman in China who only eats dirt? Its a certain type of soil she craves...

none of this would be an issue if we all lived in dessert like you do.

Whoops :D should be desert like. Damn it!

a vegan dog is perfectly fine.

ok... but thats not a very convincing argument

a vegan dog is perfectly fine.

I bet they're the same as carnivorous dogs, both tasty :P

"So you're telling me its just as sustainable to"

No, I am saying it is just as unsustainable as the practices you listed.

"Anything we do on this planet impacts it either way so I don't think this argument about sustainability flies."

Yes everything we do has an impact though the impact can be postiive or negative, unsustainable practices obvoiusly have a negative impact & if everyone was to adopt them our downfall would only be hastened.

"If its all about sustainability, might as well go live in a case with no electricity and self sustained farming, or living life as a hunter/gatherer off the land."

Yes this is the human condition to know better but continue to shit in your own nest.

It has nothing to do with morality, its sheer logic, if we want to live on this planet for as long & healthy as is possible we should'nt eat dogs, Its ultimately inefficient & unsustainable.

"Before we became civilized, mankind ate anything they could get their hands on. They didn't worry about whether it was sustainable or whether they were pets or whether it was carnivorous or a herbivore."

I do'nt think this is true at all, before 'civilisation' people largely lived in equilibrium with the land they knew to take what they needed & to take any more would just hurt themselves in the long run. sustainability of the likes we will most likely never see again. I also think 'pets' probly did'nt have the same meaning that you & I would denote them. & finaly of course we were oportunistic

but we were also concerened with self preservation which would land you in the camp of caring wether you were hunting dangerous carnivores or generaly less dangerous herbivores.

"If you repeatedly decimate the population of the carnivores, then I would agree with you but who eats a dog everyday?"

I think you may be missing my point a little bit. My concerns have less to do with decimating the pop of dogs & more to do with bioamplification/magnification, the further up the foodchain you go the more food you have to eat from the level below, with dogs it makes no sense in adding that extra level.

"Yes everything we do has an impact though the impact can be postiive or negative, unsustainable practices obviously have a negative impact & if everyone was to adopt them our downfall would only be hastened."

I would again disagree that there are positive and negative practices but that all practices are negative, some to a lesser degree. I would also have to wonder what would you consider to be sustainable? Would it be to farm raise fish instead of overfishing? But wouldn't that also create problems about genetic diversity, pollution from feed and runoffs, changes in the ecosystem from diverting water etc.

"It has nothing to do with morality, its sheer logic, if we want to live on this planet for as long & healthy as is possible we shouldn't eat dogs, Its ultimately inefficient & unsustainable."

I disagree here on it being sheer logic and not based on morality. If you look at animals that are considered apex predators, which I consider humans to be one, they don't just eat herbivores but anything they can catch. Maybe the majority will be herbivores but some of it will be other predators. Of course, if you take away too many of the apex predators, the food chain screws up due to the population explosion of the prey and then they starve due to overpopulation. Nature has a way of balancing itself out again. Of course, we are the only apex predator that actually has an effect on the earth on such a large scale. We build massive cities, use natural resources to generate electricity and create pollution and other things that change the ecosystem. We're basically more like a parasite or virus that is infecting the host body and it might come to the point where the host body can no longer sustain our form of life but I'm sure new species will pop-up that will be able to live in whatever climate is currently on this world.

"I think you may be missing my point a little bit. My concerns have less to do with decimating the pop of dogs & more to do with bioamplification/magnification, the further up the foodchain you go the more food you have to eat from the level below, with dogs it makes no sense in adding that extra level."

Maybe I am missing your point but if we are only going on bioamplification, then why don't we all just become vegans and get rid of all feed animals such as cows, chickens, and pigs?

I also have to question about what society does with all the "pets" they no longer want to keep. These pets get thrown in shelters and are euthanized and then discarded in various manners whether burned or dumped etc. Why not recycle the protein matter in these to feed the hungry? Just a thought.

Guest svarg26

here is another fact, that i care not to argue.

cats can live on a mostly vegan diet, but need at least 10% of their food to include meat.

This is interesting.. I ate dog just yesterday for the second time.. The main reasons are cultural in nature.. For example, the Vietnamese believe eating dog makes you "strong for wife" same as beef testicles, which I have also eaten.. they dont eat dog everday, mainly on special party occasions... We westerners love to remotely impose our morality on others... Just like the doco mentioned.. How insulting!!

Dogs are mans best friends and they taste really good too.

Come here boy. Come here. Good dog. Oh you're a really good

dog. Roll over. Roll over on the charcoals. Good dog. Mmmmmm....

Dogs are mans best friends and they taste really good too.

Come here boy. Come here. Good dog. Oh you're a really good

dog. Roll over. Roll over on the charcoals. Good dog. Mmmmmm....

post-5986-128971355467_thumb.jpgpost-5986-128971358044_thumb.jpgpost-5986-128971359919_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971355467_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971358044_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971359919_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971355467_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971358044_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128971359919_thumb.jpg

Y'all come over to my house this weekend and we'll eat some dog :)

I'd seriously def. eat dog... why the hell not???

:huh: Dog eating came out of culture, not the other way around...

Can you eat a dog,yes? but can you hook one on 20lb line ,reel it in after an hour of play to the side of your neighbours fence,gaff it solidly and hoik it over, donk it on the melon,slit its throat, gut and de-paw it? Huh? ... Also can someone post the picture of the man preparing and eatiing human baby soup? Im on my mobile but would like to see this topic evolve, thanks