The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

ext of fermented heimia leaf

had a pleasant suprise the other day,i had left a few pellets with my valium using lady friend,expecting her to use them recreationally.

when i next saw her she told me she had got her period and cut the pellets into smaller pieces for pain relief.

in pharmacotheon ott says'vertine and neosodine.... were shown to be asprin-like inhibitors of the enzyme prostaglandin synthetase , being 2.5 and2.2 times as potent as asprin respectively'.

t s t .

TST

your second extract seems to be more worthwhile than the first!

Altough I am more iclined towards natural , I would like to know if a simple a/b extraction will do to get the goodies out?

Heimia alkaloids are more soluable in water when it is acidic?

And more soluable in organic solvents like (acetone, xylene, naptha) when basic?

I am no real chemist,.... so AUXIN or anyone else more savy, care to comment?!

Thanks

Bri

Found your utmost helpful heima link AUXIN!

Thanks AUX!

Chemical Properties of Selected Alkaloids

Lythridine mp 218-219 C Sol. in CHCl3, CH2Cl2, dioxane, acetone, methanol, etc. Insol. in pet. ether. = -153.4 (conc. = 0.37% in CHCl3).

Lythridine hydrochloride mp >320 C Sol. in methanol.

Lythrine mp 241-242 C Sol. in CHCl3, CH2Cl2, dioxane, acetone, etc. Insol. in water, cold methanol, pet. ether. = +40.6 (conc. = 0.3% in CHCl3)

Lythrine acetate ester mp 172-173 C = +33.1 (conc. = 0.75% in CHCl3)

Lythrine hydrochloride mp > 300 C

Vertine (Cryogenine) mp 250-251 C Sol. in CHCl3, CH2Cl2, benzene, methanol, etc. Insol. in water, pet. ether. [9]

[ 21. May 2004, 15:48: Message edited by: brian ]

my friend actually has endometriosis and has been taking doses of 10 panadine fortes for pain relief.so i gave her a talking to about the dangers of paracetamol and mentioned an alternative method of use.

but anyhow she says half a pellet gives her pain relief for the whole day!so i'll give her a plant and we'll experiment with various forms of use and hopefully she can become selfsufficient as far as medication!

t s t .

t st:

How do you know that the heimia alkaloids are safer than paracetamol?

Has there been any testing?

Hard to say.... but Paracetamol is not a safe drug at all if the recomended daily dosage is exceeded even slightly and not so many people know this

there are a lot of people who do exceed the dosage on a daily basis

I hate the stuff and my dislike is based on personal experience with an earlier overdose and probable permanent damage

Aspirin and Ibuprofen are no angels either - in terms of 'everyday' pain relief we are sorely

Pharmacologically deprived

Ashoka:

t st:

How do you know that the heimia alkaloids are safer than paracetamol?

Has there been any testing?

Good question that I dont have an answer to. I know that in the 60s lythrine, lythridine, et al were being seriously investigated for diuretic activity (serious enough for someone to patent (US Patent 3,184,446 (1965)) a procedure for isolation of the alkaloid fraction as a potential diuretic anyway). So there must be some clinical research on toxicology somewhere. I havent found it yet though :( but would sure love to.

I always assumed they abandoned research due to difficulty of synthesis compared to the ease of synthesis of other drugs with similar activity but to be honest for all I know it was a toxocological discovery that halted research- I'd love to get a difinative answer there.

---

edit: mayhaps someone has the full text of "JA Byrne and MH Malone 'Protective effects of cryogenine, lythrine and certain derivatives in croton oil induced inflammation.' Proc West Pharmacol Soc, Jan 1981; 24: 183-7." It might have somethin on toxicology, it is afterall newer then the work in the 60s.

---

- Auxin (ranting a bit to keep a good thread alive )

[ 01. July 2004, 09:39: Message edited by: Auxin ]

i have been reluctant to comment on adverse effects of heimia as i know of no one who has experienced any.traditionally a yellowing of the vision is said to occur the day after overuse.

the pelletts are only a fifth to a tenth of a brew anyway so they should be fairly safe.

as theo said ,if like asprin regular use may not be desirable.

the main reason for this post is to point out about 5 or 6 new trip reports for heimia at erowid.most of these contain adverse side effects that do not relate to any heimia exp i have heard of!?! i wonder whats going on?would like to know more about the leaf source,esp if it came from the one supplier!

no mention of its fermentation status.

t s t .