The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
G*P

Dont break glass with your body!

well... I could have told you that. :P

looks nasty - glad its still attached and working ;)

at my first bar job we had a customer lose the use of his arm (and almost die) after punching through a shop front window. i don't recommend it

yeah don't break glass with your body.

99% of the time there will be some kind of nearby object which is not your body.

story?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Sorry to see this happen, please be more careful next time. We don't want to loose you.

A FOAF drunk one night way back in his younger days kicked through a very large glass window. His leg passed straight through and the entire section of glass above where the leg passed through came down onto his shin.

It looked like his leg was made of icecream and someone had scooped a nice big ball of flesh out of the shin - reaching right down to the bone, and just left it neatly rolled up attached to the bottom of the hole. Actually - it's amazing how much flesh there is on your shin before you get to the bone, the hole was really deep. Anyway - out of fear of retribution, for his actions. This man went to a friends house where he first indulged in a powerful opiate, and then proceeded to pack the little ball of flesh back into the wound. Which he then simply bandaged up. 3 days later when a close friend explained to him that he will loose his leg if he doesn't go to hospital and get it cleaned out immediately, they checked the dressing, and no signs of infection were evident. Determined to not get busted, this FOAF waited it out.. And some how the flesh grafted into the wound! But, he now has a massive ugly scar on his shin which is kinda unstable (bleeds if bumped), he tells people he was shot as a joke, because it looks like a bullet wound!

So yeah.. I concur - don't break glass with your body.. Especially old shopfront glass - as in anything that is not safety glass. If it is safety glass, well you will be OK, you will just have to use a little more force to bust the window out of the frame.. But of normal old fashioned big thick shop window glass - beware..

your story gives me unexpected insight pelinster. if you must break glass with your body, strike the top of the glass so huge glass swords won't fall onto your shit.

Thanks for the graphic pelinster - 'a nice big ball of flesh out of the shin - reaching right down to the bone, and just left it neatly rolled up attached to the bottom of the hole' :puke:

I get queazy thinking about glass cuts. so dangerous.

I once saw a stupid friend of mine almost chop two of his fingers off with a glass jar after trying to force a candle in - of course using his legs to assist!

asdfsdfa

Edited by Teljkon

no0pe.....

let me just say... its not like hollywood at all..

and unfortunately, it was 'shatterproof' safety glass :huh:

gfjcfgj

Edited by Teljkon

Just to solidify this argument further, I just recalled another experience with Glass:

One night a friend of mine, walking home after a big night out - wanted to have a cigarette but had none available to him. Upon looking through a shop window he noticed a cigarette display, well and truly within reach, so in the spur of the moment - punched his arm through the window, grabbed the display rack and pulled it through..

In the process he opened his entire arm up - from wrist to armpit. Quite a mess indeed. He managed to keep the arm but has a massive scar.

From my dark past I can dredge up many a story of glass injury. Some from my friends, some from the FOAF's perspective. However I don't endorse this behaviour on any level, some poor bastard has to pay for these windows, and likely would be more costly than replacing the smoke display mentioned above..

Oh and yes, he got to have a smoke, sitting in the gutter with his arm wrapped up in a shirt, blood drenching his cigarette as he smoked it..

that's harsh, i mean it's not as though he deserved it or anything

hahaha.. This is true! He didn't get a lot of sympathy at the time..

was walking across a creek with a glass soft drink bottle in my hand,slipped and tried to break my fall with the hand with the bottle in.did an artery or vein in my wrist,my median nerve and a whole lotta flesh.a fisherman just happened to be nearby and had a tourniquet on in a couple minutes.off to hospital,over 1/2 hour car trip from camping site.microsurgery,nerve took about 6 months to grow back.still prefer to write or type with that hand but it feels different to the other one,less definition and gets stressed/tired/wierd........one issue in me not making long posts!

scalpels though, argh,they are so cleanly sharp it fascinates me.....i keep away from them!

t s t .