The Corroboree
blip

Thompson's One-A-Day Kava Tablets

Edited by lsdreamz

Well, I bought a jar of that at a chemist and one pill didn't really give me any real noticeable effects, but I'd always been wary of mixing it with other stuff so I never got around to trying it with 2 tablets at a time.

/my 2cents.

2 or 3 is a good dose for me,

pretty sure kava builds up in your body aswell so the first time you take it it wont have a big effects but consecutive times the euphoria builds.

you can find the the bottle a little cheaper only a couple of dollars difference where i am.

this is from wiki

A kava pill usually has anywhere from 60 mg to 150 mg of kavalactones. By comparison the typical bowl of traditionally prepared kava beverage has around 250 mg of kavalactones.

Edited by lsdreamz

From my experience as a regular kava drinker and as someone who has taken these pills...I'd say 4-5 to get a nice kava effect. That is if the effect you are after is the kava intoxication, and not for therapeutic purposes.

Although I strongly urge you to get the natural stuff if you can, and consume it the traditional way. It is still available in some locations.

Edited by lsdreamz

i doubt there is any danger of liver damage, if one uses best quality kava root.

i't was the stupid pharma people who extracted kava for tablet manufactor, who used unsuitable above ground kava.

i had kava a few times before feeling the effects, my first strong kava experience i did not know i was drunk, till i tried get up and walk.

the mind stays so clear with kava which might trick the user into thinking, "it's not working"

kava is safe to use and nice, but i never have tried kava pills.

Edited by lsdreamz

Kava root and powder are still available, you just need to know where to look. It's a mildly inebriating drink that can numb the roof of your mouth if the powdered root is of high quality, mixing the root powder with warm water, then screening through a muslin or cheese cloth is the traditional and best way to prepare your kava. I have had several goes at it and on all occasions felt a nice mild narcotic type buzz. Be careful mixing kava with any alcohol as it can cause adverse reactions.

H.

there is still at least one high profile australian company selling pounds of vanuatuan high-grade kava for US$62 per pound. whether or not they're export only i'm not sure. they're in NSW. if you can't find them drop me a PM and i'll give you a keyword to drop into google with the word "kava"

Kava root and powder are still available, you just need to know where to look. It's a mildly inebriating drink that can numb the roof of your mouth if the powdered root is of high quality, mixing the root powder with warm water, then screening through a muslin or cheese cloth is the traditional and best way to prepare your kava. I have had several goes at it and on all occasions felt a nice mild narcotic type buzz. Be careful mixing kava with any alcohol as it can cause adverse reactions.

H.

Warm water! Eugh! Pretty sure this is not part of the traditional prep (using warm water) :P

Have had the discussion before, definitely prefer cold water kava to warm water kava!

Ya don't drink it warm silly billy...the warm water supposedly aids in the extraction of the kavalactones into the liquid, I've drunk it with traditional Fijians at their club and this is exactly how they do it, the screened water is left to settle in a large wooden vessel, and cool to room temperature. The sediment settles and then you can get your little wooden drinking bowl and scoop off the top layer without grit and enjoy your drink. There are heaps of ways to do it, everyone has their favourite way, I seem to remember here in another kava thread, someone was using milk and yogurt to mix their kava powder into...now that's yuk..!!

H.

one uses room temperature water, warm water makes crap kava, as more unwanted stuff seems to get extracted out of the root powder.

kava prepared with warm or even hot water tastes awfull.

Sorry don't want to hijack this thread but is anybody currently growing the kava plants from herbalistics? I've heard that there is huge variation between the different strains and would love to hear any first hand experience with this strain. Anyone harvested and chewed/drank it? Supposedly the lateral roots can be taken every so often without harvesting the whole root?

Also do any of you guys just mix the root powder (not instant) with water and drink after its settled, without filtering? Kind of sandy sandy...

If you want to mix the powder with water without massaging it you should leave it in the fridge overnight and decant the liquids. It will be very potent.

You might have a hard time growing kava in Perth without good microclimate.

Edited by apothecary

Edited by lsdreamz

that's the mother of darrens kava.

i was given it by tort.

it's the best kava from hawai "black awa" brought into the country by steven prowse qld.

i never remeber names but his i do, and it would have cost him quite some money to pay for quarantine and to have all the right papers!

pic of kava:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...=si&img=315

it's not an easy plant to cultivate outside it's preferred range.

i don't have this plant anymore.

maybe herbalistics got other strains aswell, don't know,

but that black shine is unique, but will only appear with older specimens.

Edited by planthelper

Use to grow some purchased from herbalistics, couldn't keep them alive over winter. Though I left it far too late to move them out of the winter cold and into a greenhouse. They grew pretty fast while I had them though. Never harvested, too small.

Edited by Alice

I do not agree that warm kava tastes awful...it just tastes the same but hotter lol. I didn't noticed any differences in effects except that the drink is stronger. i do however let it cool at room temperature.

I didn't liked the taste at all in the begining but now i quite like it. There are gazillions of kava recipes, it is something i like with this plant, even if my favorite is the plain traditional beverage with nothing but kava and water.

I don't care very much for the inebriating effect (i don't like alcool too) but i do love the numbing feeling and sometimes there is a kind of spiritual effect that may appears, it is difficult to put the finger on it.

I noticed that the music is different on Kava too, it seems like i am perceiving the music in my head rather than in my ears.

The banning of this plant is ridiculous, even the rotten OMS did approve it's use...

Worth going to Fiji for it.... yeehaaw, I was dubbed the kava king after my 23rd cup but all the clapping and bulas and sevu sevus made it take forever to get that high ,lol. Fiji rocks ,fijians are the best, ohh ....and the kava, i got given the shit man ,off a friend of the family, because apparently there is kava then there is kaavaa . I even snuck down to the rocks to smash the roots on a boulder with a rock because i loved it so but not so much all the ceremonial stuff and got busted by a local who couldnt believe their eyes , what is this guy doin they must of thought , but then she cracked a big smile and said thats the traditional fiji way ,hahaha,......ohh.... memories ,highly reccommend going there. kavas cheap as at the local market heaps of guff to.

Edited by lsdreamz

I dont know about capsules fellas ,but what i do know is freshness and the actual age of the root { older being more sacred or stronger } has a lot to do with how damn good it is. Now me waffling on about how great kava is in fiji isnt so much me bragging about having been there ,rather hopefully it inspires you guys to go and be amazed with the absolute generousity of the indiginous people and their willingness to share kava with their lost brothers from across the seas. Now when i had kava up to the eyeballs and im talkin kaavaa here i was hallucinating ,grindining my choppers felt like frikkin superman, didnt sleep definitely not drowsy. go bro. or yeah sorry this is all about capsules from a shop cool my baad.

Edited by lsdreamz