The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Siggor

teaching kids about drugs

obviously we need to change about our beliefs of drugs and how we teach our kids about them, what we are doing now obviously isn't working,

i heard somebody say that we need to educate more on what drugs do to the body and mind not only the bad, but the good also, but educate them more on themselves and mind and actually teach them that they don't need drugs to reach a altered state, maybe model the altered state of the drug and teach them how to get to that state.

could be a start?

i think its pretty important that children from a young age are informed about dangers inherent in drug use, and the effects drugs have on the body,

so that they are able to make more informed decisions regarding using drugs, by the time that the drugs will be available to them (teenage years most commonly). Not only illegal drugs, but drugs commonly available over the counter and in the supermarket i.e sugar, coffee, saturated fats.

i think its pretty important that children from a young age are informed about dangers inherent in drug use, and the effects drugs have on the body,

this is the perspective taken by the DARE program in the states. but apparently there's evidence that exposing children at such as young age to drug education increases drug use.

Here's one approach:

hxxp://www.justaplant.com/

just change the x's to t's.

My view is why should a person be it a child or adult be denied any form of education about any subject...the more knowledge people can fit into their cranium the better...isn't that the idea of having a brain...to fill it full of information so as to learn and make ones own decisions etc. Withholding any information is a terrible crime in my opinion...teach em young, keep em close and watch them blossom...add tons of love and a little respect and you are half way there.

H.

yeah, but you're only a child once.

let them live in a state of relative ignorance for 10 years... they have the rest of their lives to realise how fucked up this world is.

"From Chocolate to Morphine: Everything You Need to Know About Mind-Altering Drugs" by Andrew Weil and Winifred Rosen.

http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Morphine-E...g/dp/0395911524

This the best book ever for the tween or young teen in your life and covers both the pros and cons of each drug as well as ethnobotantical and scientific aspects of plants and substances. One of my favorite books in my collection and one to be shared with my son probably this year.

~Michael~

I remember when i was in year 4 we had the anti-smoking education. We were told about all the horrible things about smoking like how you may as well suck on a car exhuast, breathe in asphalt, how it gives you cancer, how it makes your toes drop off, how it kills you. This was a time when many adults smoked, even the teacher teaching us how bad tobacco is smoked. So my little brain started to think that if all these smart grown-ups knew all these risks about tobacco and still decided to do it then there MUST be something in it. If the education was presented in such a way so that it wasn;t biased towards the negative then perhaps i would never have needed to try that first cig. I think an honest approach is the best bet, be shown not to be hiding anything and maybe less kids will need to find out for themselves why others take drugs, be it legal or otherwise.

Here's one approach:

hxxp://www.justaplant.com/

just change the x's to t's.

This is great