The Corroboree
kombipe

Could someone identify this one, please?

Question

This was in the garden when the previous tenants left. Is it of interest or for visual only?post-4647-1246235180_thumb.jpgpost-4647-1246235222_thumb.jpg

post-4647-1246235180_thumb.jpg

post-4647-1246235222_thumb.jpg

post-4647-1246235180_thumb.jpg

post-4647-1246235222_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Dragon fruit...as the name suggests it bears nice tasty edible fruits.

H.

Dragon fruit...as the name suggests it bears nice tasty edible fruits.

H.

Thank you! At least my mouth has something to look forward to ;)

The genus is Hylocereus, not sure what sp it is though. Either way they are a really good grafting stock.

The genus is Hylocereus, not sure what sp it is though. Either way they are a really good grafting stock.

OK, KanJe I'll do a search on Hylocereus and see what it's about. When you say "good grafting stock" does that mean

good to graft other ones onto this one? I'm assuming there is info here on grafting. As you can see I'm TOTALLY new

to this :) Thanks again KanJe!

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, it's a good plant to graft other cacti onto because it's hardy and is a fast grower.

There is plenty of information regarding grafting here and on other sites. Just use the search engine. :)

hehehe NOW you're getting my mouth excited! :wink: Can't recall seeing

any in the stupormarkets. Although that might be cactus fruit blindness. Now

that I know what I can expect from these ones (hopefully in my lifetime) I'll

keep a good lookout :) Ta

It''s probably not dragon fruit. it is a hylo as kris said. okay grafting stock if you live in a humid area, such as asia where this is mass propogated for gymno grafts. I've found it to be a bit unstable and prone to rot in vic. looks nice grown as an epiphyte which i've seen done well in qld and parts of nsw.

I'm in SEQ so summer months would be hot

and humid enough?.

I'm getting a baby Echinopsis 'Los Banos' x

Trichocereus pallarensis as a pet (well I gotta

talk to SOMEONE) :wink:

Plus some Lophophora williamsii 'Mex' seeds to

try growing.

I've got a hylocereus undatus that I've been growing on a windowsill for the last 3 years, from a 3" cutting. It hasn't shown any tendency to fruit/flower at all yet. Maybe this year is the year :)

I've got a hylocereus undatus that I've been growing on a windowsill for the last 3 years, from a 3" cutting. It hasn't shown any tendency to fruit/flower at all yet. Maybe this year is the year :)

Hi bit. Is there any average flowering time? Maybe my joke of living to see it could well be right! hehehe :wink:

No idea mate. Photos I've seen of commercial dragon fruit plantations they have been quite substantial small trees... lol...

hi bit,if you look on trademe someone is selling dragon fruit seeds,in their auction they state that in nz they have to be hand polinated with a brush.i dont know if this will help.

Never had a dragon fruit - I mean the fruit

kombipe > yeah lots of info on cacti and grafting in this forum. Stick around and contribute to the gardening sections ;) I am a year-old newbie on cacti, I have learnt a great deal from here

hi bit,if you look on trademe someone is selling dragon fruit seeds,in their auction they state that in nz they have to be hand polinated with a brush.i dont know if this will help.

Probably the person I got mine from lol. Haven't seen a flower to polinate yet heh.