The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

Why I should never plant in clay.

That won't kill it, but maybe a raised bed with sandy loam would help in future. And dig a big hole before you plant and fill it with sand & gravel and they'll love ya. :wink:

Congratulations!

It's a girl!

That won't kill it, but maybe a raised bed with sandy loam would help in future. And dig a big hole before you plant and fill it with sand & gravel and they'll love ya. :wink:

raised bad, yes because the water can still drain out at the layer where the sand/loam/gravel has been plaved on the clay but,

the big hole filled with high drainage materials can cause problems after periodes of plenty of rain, because they fill up with water and can drown the roots.

i don't think it's the clay's fault if a thirsty cacti suddenly recieves a lot of moisture, if the cacti would have been watered very well before planting out, i'm sure it would not have split.

Yeh i wouldnt be so hasty to blame clay soil. I got pleant of plants in shitty clay that do fine. I also have plants in pots with regular potting mix that have split due to sudden increase in moisture content. Scops seem to be prone to this moreso than other trichs ime, then again im sure they would all do the same under certain conditions, some of my TBM segments do the same also given a big drink when not really needed.

Clay can be good up to a point cause it does hold water and minerals. Not that I wouldn't choose rich deep loam over clay, but beggars can't be choosers. I've had a few split like this i think it can be good cause the plant heals over and then is fatter afterwards. Like an inverted rib. Tho never seen it to such a degree as in the photo.

I've not yet mastered the art of growing in clay. Sometimes plants grown in clay can really get a foothold and send the roots down further, but it takes a bit longer to get going. In raised beds or free draining soil in my garden (which is predominantly shallow loam over red clay) the roots tend to be more shallow over time and loose water faster in early summer. But the plants grow a bit faster. Sandy parts of my garden by contrast are very disagreeable.

But it's very hit and miss and depends on the climate of your area and the whims and characteristics of seemingly every individual cutting. I'm sure you know that very well already from your own experiences. But clay is my saving grace cause it holds water in a environment that is on the drier side of life. These days I plant in the ground in depressions which you would think is a no no but two nos can sometimes make a yes. Aside from nutrient deficient sands, the slowest growing plants are in free draining soil elevated with a slight downward slope they just don't collect enough water.

Praise the heavens for the rain tho ey!

Looks like a nice plant also there mate.

Edited by Micromegas

Tho never seen it to such a degree as in the photo

That was the lesser split, the other side was just too nasty! And I took it out before the latest rain. Quite surprising considering how early in the wet season it is.

Planthelper makes a good point about the sink hole effect if too much rain is received. I've been puting in a few trees and shrubs and whatnot and amending the holes with gypsum. I guess the same thing could happen. Luckily I'm not in Brisbane!

gypsum doesn't flocculate all clays so it's not necessarily helping much. there is a test you can do with de-ionised water to see if the clay will be helped with gypsum.

heavy clay soils *shakes fist*