The Corroboree
Neoshaman

Caesalpina sepiaria

looking for research on this little plant apparently was traditionally used for divination by the chinese the flowers were used but prep tek is unknown :(

I also noticed that there are several native/naturalised species of Caesalpina in Australia while resaeaching it anyone seen info that would indicate these worthy of further investigation?

oh also could some one point me towards a nursury or seed seller I couold aquire this from

This species does indeed grow as a weed in Australia.

Off the top of my head I think the common name is "thorny caesalpina".

I've never seen the flowers or found fresh seed yet.

I'd like to see more research on this plant.

i have a c gilleii[sp?],thats about 6 years from seed now,quite specky in flower.

people stop to admire it.

have seeds spare......and have just transplanted some seedlings from soil to pot,there is one still in the ground about 5 inches high,theroot is prob deeper than that......seed has just germinated with the last rain.....new seed is ripe about now.

t s t .

gilleii[sp?] is another plant called bird of paradise......1/2tsp stem bark smoked with maoi is reported to have some noticeable activity......

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

gilleii[sp?] is another plant called bird of paradise......1/2tsp stem bark smoked with maoi is reported to have some noticeable activity......

t s t .

your knowledge always amazes me tst thanks for the info ohh and if you could possibly spare a lil seed that would be great too

Edited by neoshaman

i'm just older than most here.....i expect many here will surpass my knowledge at a similar age ........yourself included.......

will pm re seed......

t s t .

plant and seeds on s&pe.

the pods are fun,they pop and shoot seeds around,unnerving til you get whats going on!

Edited by t st tantra

C. sepiaria is a synonym for the plant now known as Caesalpina decapetala which grows as a weed throughout central and north coast NSW as well as QLD.

from the mouth of the trout......

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...byspecies.shtml

Caesalpinia echinata Lamarck [Leguminosae] Ott 1994 cited Luna 1984a. Bark is used as ayahuasca admixture; Luna 1984a citing Villarejo 1979, page 101 ss.

[An interesting note made by Siri Von Reis Altschul 1967a concerned the common name of "Tara huillca" being applied to Anadenanthera colubrina while "Tara" was used for Caesalpinia tinctoria.

Unpublished tlc of Caesalpinia gillesii and C. pulcherrima [The latter is a plant held to be especially sacred to Shiva.] showed the suspected presence of DMT and/or 5-MeO-DMT in flowers, flower-buds, stem and roots. Inflorescences were particularly heavy with assorted Xanthydrol reactive materials. tlc by Johnny Appleseed. [seed grown or commercial plants. Co-tlc with known standards/ color with Xanthydrol spray.]

Schultes & Hofmann 1980 li. 327, mentions that the first Chinese herbal, the Pen-ts'ao ching, says of Caesalpinia separia: the flowers "could enable one to see spirits and, when taken in excess, cause one to stagger madly. If taken over a prolonged period, they produce somatic levitation and effect communication with spirits." Seeds said to be burned similar to henbane for summoning spirits. They cited Li 1977.]

t s t .

think taro is a name for caesalpinia spinosa .......

Edited by t st tantra

Aphrodisiac?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...1bcbe141e3327f5

Vasoactivity, antioxidant and aphrodisiac properties of Caesalpinia benthamiana roots

Alexis Zambléa, Françoise Martin-Nizardb, c, d, Sevser Sahpaza, Thierry Hennebellea, Bart Staelsb, c, d, Régis Bordete, Patrick Duriezb, c, d, Claude Brunetf and François Bailleul

Abstract

Aims of the study

Caesalpinia benthamiana (=Mezoneuron benthamianum) (Fabaceae) is an African tropical plant whose roots are used in traditional medicine as an aqueous decoction for many purposes, especially for erection impairment but its action mechanism is unknown. The action of Caesalpinia benthamiana on sexual behaviour and some assays on potential modes of action were performed.

Materials and Methods

The aqueous extract of Caesalpinia benthamiana (AECB) was tested for vasorelaxing properties using isolated rat aortic rings precontracted by phenylephrine. Influence of AECB in the production of endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) was measured by quantitative polymerase chain reaction (QPCR) analysis. Scavenging activities versus reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as superoxide anion (O2−), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), and hypochlorous acid (HOCl) were assessed. Action of AECB on the cellular generation of O2− was also tested in a physiopathology model of oxidative burst using human polymorphonuclear neutrophils stimulated by phorbol myristate acetate. The aphrodisiac properties of AECB administered orally by gavage (50 mg/kg body weight) to male rats were evaluated by observing the sexual behaviour of animals. Finally, a short-term toxicity study was undertaken to establish the therapeutic index of AECB administered orally to rats at high dose (2 g/kg body weight).

Results

C. benthamiana roots are rich in phenolic compounds (gallic acid, resveratrol and tannins). The results showed that AECB had significant vasorelaxing properties. The extract also had a strong radical activity against ROS in cell-free and cellular systems and stimulated eNOS mRNA expression. As for the aphrodisiac activity of AECB in male rats, results have shown that sexual parameters are stimulated. Furthermore, after oral administration at high dose, AECB causes no mortality or changes in rats’ behaviour.

Conclusion

AECB enhanced the sexual activity of male rats. This could be partly explained by its vasorelaxant properties, which may be caused by an increase in NO production in vascular bed and a decrease in its destruction.

Analgesic?

Studies on Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic and Antipyretic Properties of Methanol Extract of Caesalpinia bonducella leaves in Experimental Animal Models

Malaya Gupta, Upal Kanti Mazumder, Ramanathan Sambath Kumar, Thangavel Siva Kumar

Abstract

The methanol extract of Caesalpinia bonducella leaves were investigated for anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activity at the doses of 50, 100 and 200 mg/kg, body weight. The experimental paradigms used were carrageenan, dextran, histamine induced pedal edema and cotton pellet induced granuloma for anti-inflammatory activity, while hot plate and acetic acid induced writhing methods were used to assess analgesic activity. Yeast-induced hyperpyrexia was used to evaluate the antipyretic activity. In acute phase inflammation, a maximum inhibition 50.6% (p

Anxiolytic?

Anxiolytic Activity Of Seed Extract Of Caesalpinia Bonducella (Roxb) In Laboratory Animals

A Ali, NV Rao, M Shalam, TS Gouda, JM Babu

Cholinergic?

Effects of leaf extract of Caesalpinia bonduc (Caesalpiniaceae) on the contractile activity of uterine smooth muscle of pregnant rats

J. Y. Dattéa, *, A. Traoréa, A. M. Offoumoua and A. Ziegler

The calcium dependency and the cholinergic effect of the leaf extract of Caesalpinia bonduc Roxb. (Caesalpiniaceae) was studied in isolated pregnant rat myometrium preparations. Isometric contractions were recorded. The extract (Cebo) increased the contractile force in the isolated strips in a concentration-dependent manner. The effects were comparable to those obtained with acetylcholine. Contractions induced by Cebo or acetylcholine were inhibited in the presence of atropine. The stimulating action of Cebo on the contractile responses of isolated myometrium preparations inhibited by atropine may be mediated by cholinergic receptors. In calcium-free solution Cebo induced a tonic contraction (contracture) of the muscle. Moreover, in high-potassium calcium-free solution Cebo caused contracture of the uterine smooth muscle. Cebo was still able to elicit contractions in calcium-free solution containing EDTA or EGTA. These findings suggest the existence of cholinergic receptors sensitive to Cebo which could influence the influx of calcium (phasic contraction) and mobilization of calcium from cellular stores (tonic contraction), both of which are responsible for the increase of contractile activity and development of the contracture of uterine smooth muscle.

The last paper might not seem so relevant but those who experience the urge to poop after smoking a cigarette will probably recognise its significance.