The Corroboree
blip

A little worried about a Loph i grafted to a Trich..

Edited by lsdreamz

Did you put it in humidity at any point after you did the graft?

Don't get down about loosing scions from practising. That's what it's all about. If you're like me and still learning, try practising with less precious cacti.

Edited by KanJe

Edited by lsdreamz

I definately wouldnt spray it with water, that is just asking for rot, especially if water can get underneath it at any point. Grafting is just a little hit and miss sometimes and only time will tell if it has a good connection or not. I always find that a graft seems to take easier to the softer tissue towards the tip of a trich where the vascular ring isnt quite so woody, but that isnt to say yours wont either. If all goes well the down pressure from the elastic should have forced a connection of the rings, and even if the outer tissue lifts a little, with growth you wont be able to see it once she starts to fatten up anyway. Hope it all goes well for you.

Edited by lsdreamz

I think it all depends on just how good the connection is. With a poor connection they move quite slowly, while the good ones smash out rapid growth quite quickly. They do vary a bit though, sometimes the button will stay solitary and enlarge quite a bit before throwing pups, where others i've had throw pups like crazy without the main button doing buggar all. If the stock is rooted you should start seeing something happen over the next few weeks, although the weather is starting to cool so things may be a bit slow, unless of course you are providing some extra warmth. The rooted section of whats left of the willy will throw pups. I recently did a couple of grafts of diffusa and both are throwing pups after a couple of months. Just be sure not to let any water hold in the top to avoid rot. Dont be too concerned about the graft, you can always re-slice the button and have a crack at another attemp if it doesnt take. Best of luck to you, keep us updated.

Here is a pic of one of the L. diffusa coming back Is. post-3331-1242200965_thumb.jpg

post-3331-1242200965_thumb.jpg

post-3331-1242200965_thumb.jpg

Edited by lsdreamz

I am by no means a grafting expert however people i know that I do dont graft this time of year without artificial heat and light as the plants are dormant or heading that way especially the loph this makes success less likely but not impossible

With the loph you took the cutting from I wouldnt leave that in a humid environment, when u take a cutting u want the cut section to dry otherwise you risk infection.

Edited by Jack

I think it is fine to graft slow growers, not only for our own satisfaction of being able to speed the growth process up, but purely because all of us that are doing it are contributing to the conservation of this plant by being able to produce a hell of a lot more seed than the plant would in nature in a much shorter period of time. Although the real conservation should begin with not destroying them in habitat to start with! As for what they think about being able to grow 5X faster, its like steroids to a bodybuilder - THEY LOVE IT :lol:

Edited by lsdreamz

Trippy thought Is. but i dont think the loph would be able to support the Tricho's drinking habit :lol: . It would probably suck the life outta the loph and start throwing aerial roots.

Someone correct me if they think I'm wrong but, I'm sure alkaloids are created at the skin rather than being fed from the root system. In my opinion grafting means you're feeding a lot more nutrients into the scion so you have higher water content but the profile stays the same. You could say there is a lower ratio of alkaloids to tissue though.

Can anyone else better explain the process that happens in the skin?

Edit: Just to clarify when I say in the skin I mean the tissue just under the waxy layer.

Edited by KanJe

from what i understand theres no alks in the 'skin'. im speaking of trichs here.

very basic question i'm sure somebody has figured out the answer to... how does grafting a loph affect the speed of it's alk production?

In fact it has been said that grafted lophs don't contain mescaline at all...they will start to produce mescaline once they are degrafted and planted back into the ground and form roots....this is just what I have heard...Mr Smith tells me that grafted lophs have very little mescaline and other people have said, not half as much as a loph grown in the ground....has anyone here bio assayed half a dozen grafted lophs to let us know...I've asked this question many times on other forums and no one can give me a precise answer due to lack of bio assays.

H.

ok so pound for pound it will contain much less mesc

what about per year? does it produce more per year or less? what kind of time scale for degrafting and growing out in soil is going to give you a the most time efficient alk content? would the most efficient routine be to produce seeds with grafted lophs and just grow piles of seeds in soil?

are people reserving their answer because of some notion of lophs being too sacred to be used as mesc factories?

Well apparently 1 years growth of a grafted loph equals roughly 4 years of ground or pot grown one....then once degrafted it takes a while for them to root up and harden up like real ground lophs..I'd say a full year before they are ready to go but with lophs the actual older they are the more mesc content...so grafting gets around the slow growing but it does not get around the age thing....I have quite a few grafted ones and degrafted ones and one of these days I'll just say fuck it and find out myself whats going on with grafted ones....thing is they are too sacred to consume that's why there is very little info from bio assays.

H.