The Corroboree
hutch

How to kick the habit

apparently lithium has been shown to be an effective treatment for cannabis withdrawal.

the effects of lithium are thought to be mediated by oxytocin. a colleague of mine is hoping to look at the use of oxytocin as a treatment for withdrawal too.

apparently lithium has been shown to be an effective treatment for cannabis withdrawal.

the effects of lithium are thought to be mediated by oxytocin. a colleague of mine is hoping to look at the use of oxytocin as a treatment for withdrawal too.

Foaf reports day 7 no withdrawals has even had a small am ount given to him which has simply just laid there untouched says if he knew thats all it took to get his habit under ciontrol 3-4 days of hellish mood swings then he would have done it a long time ago and is glad to have finally rid himself of tobacco use in all ways says will never mix again

I found that tobacco easy to quit but not cannabis.

Many people I know smoke several grams of high quality herb daily, they have a high tolerance compared to many people but do not seem to have worse mental or physical health.

I think they abstain maybe once a week.

What are the negative psychological symptoms of cannabis overuse?

I suffer from insomnia, have since I was young, cannabis makes no difference.

if and when I don't use it I sleep better, not worse.

However I do notice craving it when not on it. I never have cravings like that for nicotine or beer and I used to smoke and I used to drink a lot, often 20-30 beers a night on weekends and about 12 per night on week days.

I think I am not addicted to herb, just acclimated to it, so I am used to it. So if I don't have some I feel off until I become acclimated to not being stoned. I have a better appetite with herb, that is for sure.

yeah I've pretty mucxh come to the conclusion that social smoking in moderation isn't a bad thing but yeah smoking everyday is just fucked waste of money and bad for the health its soimething to be used in synergy and as responsible as other psychadelics , i mean would someone take cid or dimitri multiple times each day for years on end , would some take shrooms day after day after day No well i hope no sane person would anyway I think show mary the same respect and appreciation most of us have for other psychadelics and she can be a great allie abuse her and you will suffer her wrath

I realised I was abusing MJ and had to stop. it is simply abuse and agree with neoshaman.. mary has to be shown respect... I should have also had enough respect for my own well being in the first place.. It's a beautiful and powerful plant, and indeed you will suffer if not careful.

So what about stJohns wort? to help assist the quitting of weed?

"can assist with the symptoms of anxiety, which can include difficulty sleeping, decreased ability to concentrate and cope with stress and mood swings.

St johns Wort has been used for it's calming effect. it may assist with feelings of well being."

Re: Archaea

I found that tobacco easy to quit but not cannabis.

quite an exception - even though it'sunderstandable, tobacco doesn't make you feel something particular, well, not particularly intense anyways...

Many people I know smoke several grams of high quality herb daily, they have a high tolerance compared to many people but do not seem to have worse mental or physical health. I think they abstain maybe once a week.

yes, indeed, it seems they were better fit psychologically in the first place or were predisposition-free or they do something different with their use [set/setting wise] or they are just much more creative and active persons than the average pothead. One is sure, people who have predisposition or incompatibilities with cannabis [anxiety issues, panic attacks, blood pressure or heart problems, psychotic-like episodes etc] soon or later cease the abuse, and either use infrequently and more carefully or cease any use at all.

Quitting due to health issues shouldn't be any problem - problem might exist with people who are addicted to being high. But this is not an addiction substance-wise, it's an addiction that man creates in the vein of depending on pleasure and mindless joy.

What are the negative psychological symptoms of cannabis overuse?

In various degrees, depending on person, scheme of use, pot quality:

Apathia, social seclusion, lack of motivation, dilatoriness, disorganisation

are some of them, these are also for the mentally healthy ..

For symptoms for the mentally unstable go to thread "Never the same"

I suffer from insomnia, have since I was young, cannabis makes no difference.

if and when I don't use it I sleep better, not worse.

that's an exception too! I got a friend who's insomnia is eliminated by pot, but he has a serious problem when he has no pot, especially if he has been smoking it a lot... But yeah, when he is not using, the sleeping scheme becomes independent of smoking and a bit more normal, but he still doesn't sleep alright nor enough...

I think I am not addicted to herb, just acclimated to it, so I am used to it. So if I don't have some I feel off until I become acclimated to not being stoned. I have a better appetite with herb, that is for sure.

nice approach, it sure works a bit like that. Sure cannabis increases appetite short-term. Swim tells me that after countless weeks of daily use, not even one day off, his appetite gets a bit fucked up from time to time, and it propably has to do also with sleep pattern and life style, but anyways, psychoactive amanitas has stabilised his appetite to normal a couple of times...

Edited by mutant

Get her to try the HHH quit smoking pot mix the stuff works! Help to wheen you off instead of going cod turkey. She needs to get off tabacco first if that is what she is mixing with as I have found refined tabacco makes it hard to put the bong down.

Tell her to try prickly poppy, damiana and coltsfoot for her smoking mix but it doesnt hit like tabacco and weed does. AFOF has found that mixing with tabacco make him addicted to the ultra high stoned you get from the combo, tabacco and bud get you extra stoned then if you just smoke straight weed :rolleyes:

A friend has confided in me her addiction to the :bong: that has been going on since she was 18. She is now 49. She has kicked it a few time's but has always been easily drawn back into it. A need for something she often describes it as. Does anyone have some thoughts on different plants that may help her to overcome this addiction? She can give it away sometime's quite easily (after the initial panic has been overcome). but she claims she needs something to get her through the day but the side affects she is getting from being stoned all day on mainly strong hydro is starting to affect her life.

Any suggestions??? :worship: This forum is just packed with much wiser people than me :P

SWIM has been trying ot give up weed for a while and has found a half decent way !

use Google to find a herbs store in your local town ( hhh ) and order some lions tail ( wild dagger ) a few days without a cone and SWIY has a few of these and he's cravings will be gone ;)

There are many legal alternative's out there you just got to find the one that works for SWIY.

She is still off the weed. It has been since early April now. I spoke with her over the week end and she seems ok to me.

thanks again for all advice offered.

Cheers

Hutch :wink:

Hey i duno if this has already been suggested coz i havn't had the time to read over all the posts but if you can get your hands on salvia divinorum i have first hand experience of its positive anti-addiction properties.

My girlfriend gave up cigarettes cold turkey after having it a couple of years ago and I totally lost the compulsion to want to smoke weed. I had been trying to get her to quit for ages but when she smoked some salvia she purely just lost interest in cigartettes.

I had also developed a habit of smoking weed pretty much every day and after having S. divinorum I was able to just stop and not feel like I needed to smoke weed. Didn't have any for about a year, must admit i have it now on occassions but will never go back to smoking every day.

Has anyone else had this experience or known anyone with a similar one? I've read a bit of stuff on the net about it helping people with addiction, its such a pity its illegal, I think it has lots of benefits to society.

Cheers

P.S. it was 10X extract

Hey i duno if this has already been suggested coz i havn't had the time to read over all the posts but if you can get your hands on salvia divinorum i have first hand experience of its positive anti-addiction properties.

My girlfriend gave up cigarettes cold turkey after having it a couple of years ago and I totally lost the compulsion to want to smoke weed.

Has anyone else had this experience or known anyone with a similar one?

yep, we heard of that one before, ayahuasca and of course iboga can have the same effect.

drinking chamomile or scullcap tea can take the edge of the withdrawl.

i personaly try to like the turkey...

and being able to taste how fresh air smells and feels like inside your lungs is a nice feeling too, compared to a bong cough lung...

On the whole salvia thing I have heard from a friend living in Europe that using Sally instead of tobacco is a far more powerful experience and generally less is needed to reach a satisfactory point not really along the quitting lines I realise but I think remove the tobacco from the equation is a major key in moving forward there are many herbs that have a better synergy and are far less addictive

Its such a simple but complicated problem. If you want to give up then give up, if you dont want to then dont. Its not locked deep inside your mind, usually its as easy as flipping a coin. Make a decision ie i want to stop smoking pot (heads on the coin) i dont want to (tails on the coin).........now flip the coin, if it comes up tails and you feel disappointed then obviously you dont want to give up pot so dont.

The real reason you want to give up pot is complicated. Why do you feel guilty?, what are you doing wrong?, is it a crime to take a vacation from everyday life and just relax a bit, or if you are not relaxing is it a social crime to delve deep into your own mind and let youself internally express yourself not repress yourself a little bit.

Maybe you just have something motivating you to give up, like self pity, a nagging wife, drug testing, paranoia and these are obviously good motivating factors and can force you to stop. Without something motivating you to give up then you will need to rely on your own inner resolve and discipline, which of course is hard for most.

Whilst not really a Terance Mcenna bandwagon type (probably due to the fact that i only tonight decided to look him up on you tube as i see so many member signatures with his quotes), i did find this clip whilst casually browsing tonight and it reminded me of this thread so thats why if your still up tonight in relevance to this topic go ahead and have a watch. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBfNJCQOUs...feature=related

Look seriously a good dose of DMT regularly could have the potential to wipe away many of the habits we loathe having...unfortunately though it needs to kept up as like anything the true nature of our self loathing and desire for our drug of choice will come sauntering back into our lives..monkeys on backs...pass me the ape repellent.

H.

Why would a good dose of DMT at all, let alone regularly have the potential of wiping away many of the habits we loathe having? wouldn't this be foolishly creating another drug habit? a much more serious one at that?

Addiction to DMT is impossible.

Smoking or drinking sceletium may help

"Sceletium is known to elevate mood and decrease anxiety, stress and tension. It has also been used as an appetite suppressant by shepherds walking long distances in arid areas."

From personal experience, quitting mj seriously affects my appetite for about week, I can eat, but not near as much as I would normally eat when on the Mj. It's actually about day 5 for me now (off the mj, not really bothered counting, tried that last time - no point counting how many days your off it if you genuinely want to leave that chapter of your life in past imo) and only now am i actually excited about eating.. for example - when on the mj, smoking half ounce a week spun, smoked through a bong I could normally eat a foot long sub on Parmesan oregano, chicken fillet,bacon,cheese,lettuce,onion,sweet chili sauce and a bit of honey mustard (try it if you haven't, i recommend) for lunch. But when i quit the mj i can't even finish a 6" of the same. It takes me roughly 2-3 weeks to get back up to the amount of food I would eat when smoking MJ, and this isn't my NATURAL appetite. to get back to my natural appetite would take months - roughly about the same time it takes for THC to work it's way out of your fat cells.

I don't believe an appetite suppressant is a good recommendation for something that suppresses the appetite so much in the first place. I'm 23 years old and I weigh 82kg.. I've smoked weed on and off since i was about 17. Thankfully, I'm close with mother and father and both my mother and father knew how much weed I was toking because i was open with them about it - they never condoned it, infact they both hated it because they knew what it was doing to me and at that point I didn't.. but i still continued to smoke it in the family home, where i currently reside with my mother and father. I often wonder what my genetic potential actually is considering I started to smoke this stuff around puberty.

I realized that I may not be at my full genetic potential early 2008 when I quit the pot, when I weighed in at 68kg - growing up I was a skateboarder, and a cricket player sometimes.. my dad was cricket player so i never got into footy. I noticed that a few of my mates that didn't smoke weed and played footy were all of a sudden getting slightly bigger than I.. i knew this was because of the weed.. i also knew that after puberty some of the boys who were the same size or or even smaller than me were genetically destined to become bigger than me. But i was still asking myself the same question - have I reached my full genetic potential?

So, early 2008 when I quit the mj I started practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and lifting weights. I am still continuing with both BJJ and weight lifting 3-4 times a week. since then I have gone up to 82kg. I needed something to keep me busy otherwise I would be sitting at home slipping back into the bong pattern again.. so the bjj helped me greatly on many levels - It kept me very busy and eased my aggressiveness, I have gained mental strength as well physical and I now some wicked choke holds.

Christmas holiday break 2008 - i got a bit carried away with partying, starting smoking weed again and experimented for the first time with psychedelics - it was half a strawberry tab that wet my lips... i am writing this after yet another night on a weekend, high on acid..well i'm coming down now.. but tonight was the first night I've been high on acid without smoking weed and it's much more pleasing... i can sit here and talk shit through my keys instead of smoking myself to sleep.

So, I suppose........ I RECKON the best way to kick the weed habit is to not trade one drug for another.. But to simply STOP IT.. as said elsewhere in this thread. I would also recommend BJJ for anyone - young or old, man, woman child... it has helped me immensely to get through the struggle of weed addiction and although I did get back on it - I have honestly seen the light and I will never touch that shit again. My girlfriend was smoking it too and I will never put a bowl of weed in front of her again.. it's irresponsible when you know it's wrong.

What a novel, shit.. I suppose this can double up as my intro to the forums. Hello there. hahah. so know everyone can see what i like eat from subway, that i take acid, but would more be interested in a natural psychedelic experience from the things I've learned from this forum. I was a bit paranoid about posting shit about my life on this forum but i really don't mind documenting it..if the cops don't like it then come get me you bunch of brainwashed brutes.. I guarantee you I'll be taking a few of you down before you drag me out of my home.

i'm going to eat weet-bix now..

Peace.

Addiction to DMT is impossible.

okay.. so do you think DMT use is good for your system? addiction may be impossible but why would want to smoke dmt coming off weed. that is just ludacris. it is fun.. but doesn't make any sense from a health perspective.

okay.. so do you think DMT use is good for your system? addiction may be impossible but why would want to smoke dmt coming off weed. that is just ludacris. it is fun.. but doesn't make any sense from a health perspective.

I think what is meant is that DMT has the power to change a person's way of thinking. I don't think you would replace several cones of weed a day with several cone's of DMT. Maybe DMT has within itself the power to reduce withdrawals or at least make them easier to overcome and I don't think it's meant that you have to be tripping off your head daily on DMT to benefit from it's amazing powers. The continual theme that I read from this thread seams to be a persons state of mind and will to quit. Maybe some of these other substances can assist or in a way condition a persons mind in to wanting to change.

(well it sort of makes sense to me and I've never had DMT :P )

Cheers

Hutch :wink:

Why would a good dose of DMT at all, let alone regularly have the potential of wiping away many of the habits we loathe having? wouldn't this be foolishly creating another drug habit? a much more serious one at that?

I find it hard to believe that an addiction to DMT could be formed...however it does posses those unique qualities that heal a person of their addictions and bad habit's...one can walk away even after just one smoke and question the logic of their addiction, therefore beginning the quit phase...I don't know enough about DMT to say weather it is completely harmless or not and I would assume that smoking it would not be good for the lungs obviously..orally well that's different, but smoking tryptamines does and has helped people quit minor addictions like cigarettes and alcohol etc...

DMT is not a drug habit IMO...it is a tool to used carefully and in the conditions can well worth exploring when looking for cures of addiction...the really serious way is to just stop it and that's the end of it.....people allow themselves to be talked back into their addictions by the voice inside their head...it's a constant battle between actually doing the right thing and allowing the secondary voice to always having the last say and going with that.

there's an old saying..."it's far easier to beat a child than it is to raise it properly"

H.

edit spelling.

Edited by Hunab Ku

meh dmt.....

i dont know if its been ,mentioned.. and ive mentioned this before in similar threads.....

get yourself some klins instant kava.

when u feel the cravings for a cone coming on, have a cup.

it works.

when i was a CHRONIC (over a quart a day) this is how i stopped.

worked for me, and u really get over the kava taste after a while and you stop drinking that.

first and foremost you really really really hafto want to stop smoking.

As with most psychadelics health risks are sketchy at best its not really ludacris as high dose DMt can result in amazing realisations if your not comfortable smoking it there is always the MAOI and oral root of consumption some would probably say this is more effective for the self evaluation purposes

on what basis are you inferring DMT is not good for the system my understanding is it is one of the fastest matobolised substances and because it is already present in our body I would assume it to have far less negative interactions then many other things suggested in saying that one of its biggest proponents, McKenna Died of Brain cancer so too much of a good thing can not always be a good thing but who knows maybe the two are unrelated PPeople develop cancers so regularly these days for a lot of them it is hard to pinpoint a direct cause

has its presence in our body ever been proven? i thought this statement and the fact that it is produced by the pineal is a bit of McKenna propaganda?

has its presence in our body ever been proven? i thought this statement and the fact that it is produced by the pineal is a bit of McKenna propaganda?

STRASSMANS RESEARCH WOULD SEEM TO BACK IT UP BUT NOT 100% MIGHT LET SOME OF THE MORE SCIENCE MINDED TYPES AROUND HERE HAMMER THAT ONE OUT

I find it hard to believe that an addiction to DMT could be formed...however it does posses those unique qualities that heal a person of their addictions and bad habit's...one can walk away even after just one smoke and question the logic of their addiction, therefore beginning the quit phase...I don't know enough about DMT to say weather it is completely harmless or not and I would assume that smoking it would not be good for the lungs obviously..orally well that's different, but smoking tryptamines does and has helped people quit minor addictions like cigarettes and alcohol etc...

DMT is not a drug habit IMO...it is a tool to used carefully and in the conditions can well worth exploring when looking for cures of addiction...the really serious way is to just stop it and that's the end of it.....people allow themselves to be talked back into their addictions by the voice inside their head...it's a constant battle between actually doing the right thing and allowing the secondary voice to always having the last say and going with that.

there's an old saying..."it's far easier to beat a child than it is to raise it properly"

H.

edit spelling.

cheers for clarifying hunab, i see what you mean and agree that DMT can be used a a tool to benefit yourself. without the mj on cid was the most pleasing for me. it allowed to put things into perspective - i would think to myself that i'd always need mj for the come down and have realized that it is not needed now. it was amazing. great night.

thanks again :)