RonnySimulacrum

EGA- Bear Owsley Headlining - FRI 6-MON 9 NOV - Last Tix

4132546873_25abd6b2dc_o.jpg

One of the only photos i had time to take sadly

thanks Margarette & Shane and Co for the opening

B)

Edited by RonnySimulacrum

Hey guys

In regards to audio, please only post samples, or talks you personally have the authors permission to post online.

Be respectful and honest in such matters.

love and light

ok

Here is a high quality and small size (9.3mb) link to my talk at EGA!

ok ive removed the talks i hosted, it was an issue i had originally considered but , figured due to they're poor quality they wouldnt make competition for the official recordings. but the permission thingy is valid.

anyways heres julians higher quality pemissioned talk re-hosted for easy dl:

/_audio/julianEGAtalk.mp3

Edited by telemetric

I know the dust has only just settled from the big event but just wanted to ask if the audio's from some of the talks will be up on the website sometime soon?

So much info passed thru my brain that weekend that i'm still intergrating it all and i'm sure listening to the talks again will help the process and open up a few more doors....

cheers

Edited by Birdwing

I have started working on the audio but early days yet :wink:

Me and CS are also looking in to the video we shot too.

but this will all take some time :)

just so happy you all had such a good time at the conference, we are all blessed to have EGA in OZ B)

I have started working on the audio but early days yet :wink:

Me and CS are also looking in to the video we shot too.

but this will all take some time :)

just so happy you all had such a good time at the conference, we are all blessed to have EGA in OZ B)

cool, and what about the previous ones that were for sale at end of the conference this year ?

REC-CHEMS language of the gods

Spirits of the vine leaf & flower

Recorded at EGA

And more interesting podcasts

Undergrowth podcasts

EGA Media

this should get you started :wink:

there was another link with the EGA cd from 2005, but i can not see the link any more, it was not hosted on the EGA web page, but if anyone has it, feel free to post it.

The DVD with past talks will be up on the EGA shop soon, we are still working on some small parts of it, nothing big, so stay tune as it will be available shortly.

Love and Light

:lol:

I wish to send massive thanks to all of you for keeping this event alive and growing each Year.

Thanks to the whole EGA team, speakers and the attendees of the 2009 events, as well as those that lent their support from a distance. Your help made the 2009 conference a huge success: professional, outstanding, informative and special beyond words.

It was such a pleasure to find again that special EGA space and community, and to work with so many special people. EGA has truly come of age, and grown into such a beautiful and unique Australian gathering that we should all be proud off.

So this is a message of gratitude to all that played there part however big or small in getting the tribe together and in such a proactive way :lol:

Hope to See You all at Melb Uni in 2010

In Plants We Trust

RonnySimulacrum

http://entheogenesis.org/

I can only imagine what Bear's discussions were like at EGA... sorry I missed the whole event. Maybe next year...

For others not there... this would be something like the way he answers a question... Jan 19 was his birthday and a discussion started on Facebook about the Wall of Sound he was involved in creating.... He doesn't do Facebook so I asked him for a comment to post... Ha ha... more than anyone wanted to know. Especially since everyone commenting had very fond memories of the WOS and some of the posters had paid big money to buy parts of it when it was sold off.

Bear wrote:

================

The first thing I will note is that, in spite of being very well built and incorporating a lot of innovations, the WOS simply was not very good. Today I can set up a very compact system which makes the 'mighty' wall sound like a boombox by comparison.

One problem it suffered from, which I only found the solution to after the end of the wall era, was the differential mic. What is required to make this type of microphone suitable for live music use is an additional summing circuit in addition to the one which produces the feed to the PA. With only one summer, the musician must work the main mic very closely to keep his voice up in the sum. There is literally no way to prevent the lower frequencies in the voice from leaking into the ambient mic and partially cancelling the voice- the result is a thin sound, lacking in 'body'. By setting up a second summing circuit a voltage can be derived when the main mic is in use. This voltage is then applied to a standard noise-gate circuit (VCA), which can be set for attack and release, and inserted into the ambient mic's signal path before it is summed for the PA (after the split to the control summer, of course). Once the singer begins to sing, he has only the top or main mic active, with appropriate time delays, slopes etc. The ambient mic is cut out of the signal path. This mic setup if housed correctly should not only be easy t use but would sound far better than any vocal mic available today, since it is a very linear omnidirectional mic. I doubt I will ever get it built: no demand, no money and no time....

Other problems had to do with sheer width (sound travels very slowly) and the quite considerable problems inherent in line arrays.

For pure clean sound all active speakers must be in a single cluster, including foldback and subs. Usually this works best when flown in the center.

If the system is all Meyer Sound Labs gear, the mics all high quality- and as few mics as possible are used onstage, then the system will be feedback-free with NO EQ of any kind up to about 50% above the loudest level it is likely to be used. That means no board eq, no mains or foldback (monitors) eq of any kind. The system must be very flat acoustically, and of course no 'pink noising'- this common technique simply does not work, anyway.

A clever device called an Advanced Feedback Suppressor 224 made by DBX or a similar unit by Lexicon and a few others will provide protection for those unforeseen 'oops' events, but if everything is properly set up, it lies dormant.

Such a rig sounds pure and perfect in ALL environments including those awful echo-y basketball stadium- it is as if you were in the Philharmonic Auditorium! Trust me, this is real- I do it now, it is not a fantasy.

The secret lies betwen the ears of every member of the audience- an amazing inbuilt ability to process and 'clean up' sound. This is something everyone has experienced at noisy parties, where you can hear and understand perfectly someone speaking much lower in level than the cacophony around you. This can be shown easily by a hand held recorder during the conversation. If all the wanted sound comes from a single source, all other sounds can be 'cancelled' The system can even be stereo or multi-channel and will then have more 'body and space'. Yes, the brain even appears to incorporate the sounds from speakers pointing AWAY from the listener.

I have no clue how all this works, nor does that matter much to me. I am a practical person and I treat most things like 'black boxes'- you have an input and an output, which are consistent, what happens inside the box is immaterial so long as it is perfectly consistent each and every time it is applied.

This attitude may have something to do with the kinds of stuff I can do which seem to escape most of my contemporaries, must of whom spend a lot of time 'figuring out how', or trying to.

The WOS, like the Model T and the vacuum tube are quaint, interesting artifacts but are not really worthy of obsessing over.

One last thing- the unvented heavily damped speaker cabinets we designed for the stacked arrays in the WOS are not good for any other use- they sound like shit if used in a stereo, and can choke the sound of a guitar. All the original speakers were well and truly worn out by the time the wall was decommissioned. Anyone that thinks they 'sound good' ('cause they look cool?) can't tell good from bad, trust me.

--

Cheers.

Bear

==============================

Anything like his talks at EGA?

The Bear Rings me from time to time to discuss many things, his like, and thoughts on politics, he is very kind and likable when you get to know him. He seemed so full on sometimes at EGA, and i coped the brunt of that personally, however now that we know each other, he is extremely nice. I think he came across at EGA somewhat different, aggreses and with some very interesting ideas,and trust me that was the tip of the iceberg, on the hole i think he is more of a survivalist than anything, and that is what largely shape his thinking.

He has always been an avid lover of spirit plant, but I think EGA rekindled this love very much.

He has subsequently appeared on Q&A on Chanel 2, and seems dead keen on coming back to a future EGA to speak again.

Just thought i would give you a Bear update.

:lol:

Work on EGA 2010 and what looks set to be a 2 day indoor has started, however no date set as yet.

love and light

RS

i hope CS hasnt edited my radical and grounbreaking (in modern-day filmmaking) coverage of desys Datura talk.

will easily be the highlight in the EGA series (IMO) hehe snicker snort...blurt

Hey Incognito, trust you are well

Sadly CS who i have seen about, has not to my knowledge started work on the 2009 DVD as yet, but i am trying to kick start him.

I hope we get some movement on it soon, but hell it is not like we are paying him :huh:

:)

far out...good luck! i take it he has the footage from as far back as 05? would be awesome to get that stuff onto dvd.

surely thered be someone else within the community who could process and edit what was filmed onto dvd format??

all would take is to get the material of him. He did/does a great job filming, but its all in vain really innit if we cant actually share it within the community? i mean u could also use the sales to fund the next ega.

Big ups CS for doin the job if ur reading, i had fun doin a bit of filming with u!!

But please, for all that is good in the world, release the gold!!!!

or as an aside, we could chuck in some donations to PAY cs to do it himself???

id be happy to contribute some cacti to the "pull cs' finger out" fund?

far out...good luck! i take it he has the footage from as far back as 05? would be awesome to get that stuff onto dvd.

surely thered be someone else within the community who could process and edit what was filmed onto dvd format??

all would take is to get the material of him. He did/does a great job filming, but its all in vain really innit if we cant actually share it within the community? i mean u could also use the sales to fund the next ega.

Big ups CS for doin the job if ur reading, i had fun doin a bit of filming with u!!

But please, for all that is good in the world, release the gold!!!!

or as an aside, we could chuck in some donations to PAY cs to do it himself???

id be happy to contribute some cacti to the "pull cs' finger out" fund?

Some Yes, and some No's, we do have 1 DVD out;

My link

and some more talks available here;

My link

And CS, it my knowledge is about to give it a crack, but yes your point about fund-razing has crossed my mind. I have been trying to work out what motivate him, but well this is CS, and we are all friends here.

But Yes, much of what you say is true, we need to get it out there, and if funds can be gained to keep this event alive then we need to do what we can.

there is over 60h footage, but CS and myself have boiled it down to the gold on a 1T hard Drive, so now we need to get on to the next stage.

editing in the slides and mixing the sound, adding in extras stuff and working with our graphic designer.

Cs, is a dude, he is trying, and hoping to do the job, but yes, it is possible that We may very well need to think of some alternative.

:unsure:

Just another vote urging folks to get stuff from the webstore, it's really awe inspiring work, something to be proud of supporting imo.

The t-shirts are fucking awesome, well i've not got kanjes planthead one yet (argh longtime embarrassing purchase in progress, i will get to it!), but very comfy and nice and colourful, fantastic art.

Journal is really neat with great formatting ideas and lots of good bits and pieces, still haven't properly got around to the dvd, but the bits i've seen are really good. As said before somewhere, it's really cool knowing or knowing of the people who contribute to all of this and make it happen, a great bunch of caring folk.

That's really good news with bear ronny, having not attended that conference I was quite sad to hear some of the issues, but it's great to get a proper representation of him, I appreciate you sharing that.

This biggest problem i see is there is no 'formal' option on EGA'S website or in any of their promotions that mention donations. Yeah, it's tax refundable or whatever but who the fuck cares? Sometimes people need something to be right in front of their face before they think of it.

Embarressing as it is, i'm still yet to donate some of my hard earned cash to Entheogenisis Australis, but i cant think of an organisation that derserves it more. It will happen lol.

But yeah, i think you're missing out on a lot of donations by not asking for them!!!!! Most people seem to come up with the idea themselves but yeah.

Cheers

Edit: Shocking gramma and spelling

Edited by Yawning Man

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, but as yet we are not a Charity, or considered an aid organization, so yes we can take donations, but not tax deductible at present. However you are right, we should have an option for people.

Some weeks back, we took our first formal donation, we where approximately $10,000 down after the last outdoor, and a very kind person insisted, and I mean insisted we give them out banking info, and they wired EGA $1,000. It was very kind and well amazing at the same time.

We do not in any way expect such things form others, we have come up with some ideas, such as membership, but have not as yet all together worked out the best approach to such matters.

It is some times really hard to work out how to ask for help.

and how asking such things comes across, but i do get the feeling EGA would be missed.

B)

geez sorry ronny, i wasnt aware that you guys had a dvd out!!! :worship:

i bet yas deleted my filming of the datura talk!!! i was struggling to even focus at the time, CS did the runner in a cactus moment ;).

ill be buyin that one and maybee a shirt on payday.

just an idea, maybee with the membership you could get some cheapish keyrings made up? with like a numbered membership thing for donations over 50 beans??? if u need a hand sourcing these things lemme know. always happy to help with anything ega related (like most of us here). Man being 10g down is no good at all! maybee we should get a fund raiser going now?? like a mini raffle in aid of ega recouping some costs??

Im sure that SAB's generous members would dig deep to help you out. 10g's alot of coin!!!

edit- get a fundraiser started NOW, and advertise it acroos the forums, AE, sab, the nook, maybee the shroomery and erowid would be interested in supporting by hosting the fundraiser on their site?? id say izwoz may be keen in advertising the raffle on their site.

Fuck ill personally tell every psychonaught i meet about the raffle!!

i think with a loss of 10g we need to start generating some spondoolies NOW?

Edited by incognito

Thanks so much for your words people, well i think the best thing is if people just spread the word that it not all $$$ and fun times on the other end of the EGA rainbow, and when we have out next raffle or if the membership comes in to action dig deep.

Nothing makes me more sad than reading things like, “those tickets are expensive” when over 50 people (some up to 8 months pre event) have volunteers there time and energy to bring the event together and make it what it is.

Personally rather than brainstorming ways to recover cost, we would like to spend out energy bettering the event, and hope the community responds by supporting from a far with a raffle ticket or one better – by make it down to the two day indoor this year.

EGA is just such a strange entity

:wub:

meh just tryin to halp ronald.

but yeah i for 1 will support where i can mun.

ill come to ur indoor shingding and bring some fellow ethnobots who have not witnessed the awesomeness that be EGA!!

meh just tryin to halp ronald.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

and a dab of

:devil: :devil: :devil:

your a baaaad man :devil: