The Corroboree
grantoss

Characteristics of Caapi and Psy Vir!!!

HI there, I'm trying to grow Banisteriopsis Caapi and Psychotria Viridis in a southern east coast location... (right near the bush fires). It has been a struggle l8ly due to the scorching 46 degree days and dry weather, I was just wondering if we could share some tips on how to grow these plants and at what rate they should be growing. My caapi doesn't seem to have grown much at all and it dropped it's leaves before shooting 2 beautiful new ones... But how quick is this supposed to grow? Is it Dormant? And my Psy Vir seemed to grow to begin with but has now just shed all it's leaves (it's still green tho) and seems to have gone dormant also. Is it absolutely crucial to have these in a glasshouse down here in Vic where the heat is so dry?? Would love to hear of some success stories and some advice or experiences from some of the experts. Peace and Love Y'all

HI there, I'm trying to grow Banisteriopsis Caapi and Psychotria Viridis in a southern east coast location... (right near the bush fires). It has been a struggle l8ly due to the scorching 46 degree days and dry weather, I was just wondering if we could share some tips on how to grow these plants and at what rate they should be growing. My caapi doesn't seem to have grown much at all and it dropped it's leaves before shooting 2 beautiful new ones... But how quick is this supposed to grow? Is it Dormant? And my Psy Vir seemed to grow to begin with but has now just shed all it's leaves (it's still green tho) and seems to have gone dormant also. Is it absolutely crucial to have these in a glasshouse down here in Vic where the heat is so dry?? Would love to hear of some success stories and some advice or experiences from some of the experts. Peace and Love Y'all

where r they positioned? what shade/light do they receive? how often do u water them? what mix are they in??

in the meantime give them a half-strength dose of seasol.and if they r copping alot of sun move to a more shady/sheltered spot till they recover.

where r they positioned? what shade/light do they receive? how often do u water them? what mix are they in??

in the meantime give them a half-strength dose of seasol.and if they r copping alot of sun move to a more shady/sheltered spot till they recover.

I have them in a shaded area right now with plenty of light and have cut right back on the direct sunlight. I use the 100% certified Organic potting mix that costs around $14 a bag and have also been hitting them with a light mist of the seaweed solution. I have also taken them into my local plant guru and she said that I overpotted them (silly firsttimer) and also whilst I was at work they have been overwatered. I'm doing my best with her help to nurture them back to health so that i can then look at how to help them grow... I just need to know how to look after them the best if I can get them thru this hard time :( The help is greatly appreciated tho nito

Stick Caapi in the ground and it will grow faster and more rampant than you can ever imagine...when training it to go where you want, make sure you guide the growing tip as the vine becomes very woody quite quickly further down and will snap easily....I fucking dig this plant as its a constant source of amazement and something to do. it and HBWR are way cool and power up the fences racing each other like crazy young teen plant spirits... :P

Viridis on the other hand is one slow growing, boring ass, ant attracting so and so....

H.

Stick Caapi in the ground and it will grow faster and more rampant than you can ever imagine...when training it to go where you want, make sure you guide the growing tip as the vine becomes very woody quite quickly further down and will snap easily....I fucking dig this plant as its a constant source of amazement and something to do. it and HBWR are way cool and power up the fences racing each other like crazy young teen plant spirits... :P

Viridis on the other hand is one slow growing, boring ass, ant attracting so and so....

H.

Thanks Hunab, So will Caapi really take off down here in Victoria (southern) I don't think we have the right conditions for it... But please let me know!!!

i'd suggest for growing in the south ,winter is the main prob,if you dont have a growing house of some kind i'd place it to get as much sun as possible[during winter] and covering it on cold days and even more nights with a blanket of light shade cloth.

t s t .

i'd suggest for growing in the south ,winter is the main prob,if you dont have a growing house of some kind i'd place it to get as much sun as possible[during winter] and covering it on cold days and even more nights with a blanket of light shade cloth.

t s t .

Is this the same for both plants?? The Caapi and the Psy Vir... Thanks

might work for viridis but really prob not worth trying growing viridis in the south without a house of some kind.

alba and carthagensis grow very well in the colder areas.

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

Could a p.viridis grafted to a p.carthagensis survive the Victorian winter?

Could a p.viridis grafted to a p.carthagensis survive the Victorian winter?

would depend on what kind of microclimate u can house the plants in.

I am having the same problems with slow growth with my P. Viridis aswell. Would anybody out there be able to tell me actual growth rates (centimetres per year maybe?) of a healthy and happy P.Viridis? It would be helpful for comparison as I'm a first time grower of the special little plant

I am having the same problems with slow growth with my P. Viridis aswell. Would anybody out there be able to tell me actual growth rates (centimetres per year maybe?) of a healthy and happy P.Viridis? It would be helpful for comparison as I'm a first time grower of the special little plant

ca. 75cm per annum. Calculated from an 18month old plant. Not sure how big they grow.

Edited by rahli

This guy's P. viridis seemed to grow quite large in only 4 months... :o

I wish I knew his secret!

This guy's P. viridis seemed to grow quite large in only 4 months... :o

I wish I knew his secret!

...and the secret is that his plant is not Psychotria viridis but Psychotria alba. P.alba grows much more quickly and is easier to cultivate...