The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jeane

alcoholic cactus juice!?????

can cactus juice ferment?

i had some in a bottle for aprox. three weeks, room temp i opened it today and it fizzed!!!!!!

quite odd, made that chiiiisssss sound that coke makes...

whats going on? :o

Mezcal

If it has sugar and yeast it will ferment...

Gen

Edited by Genesis

but its going to taste.... HORRIBLE

This is part of the decay process, of which fermentation is a polite description.

It doesn't even have to be a yeast to do this - certain belgian abbeys use lactobacillus bacteria to ferment their brews.

Wild yeasts are everywhere, living in sugar sources like pollen, not mentioning thrush.

It's unlikely you have a large amount of alcohol - as there is probably as many outcomes of a fermentation as there are elements which cause it, you don't know what it could produce (fart smelling cactus flavoured juice?)

As Genesis said, it needs sugar - cactus has sugar, like most any plant matter. Starches are also broken down to ferment, ala vodka!

I'm sure the mycology guys would know 100 times about this are than me :)

Yeah gross bro, don't drink anything that old that was not in the fridge.

Even if it doesn't poison you, you'll probably start to think it has!

I don't really know what you mean by alcoholic cactus juice but it's fine IMO. Medicines such as these are prone to release gas and fizz. For example, ayahuasca is often kept in plastic bottles in Peru because glassware is prone to exploding. Furthermore, many of these medicines can last for many (many) months at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. I would only be concerned if there was mould etc. Unfortunately extractions of this kind are illegal in Australia but what I have seen overseas is that such concoctions can be stored for a long time. If you do indeed mean alcoholic beverages such as mescal made from agave I have no idea.

Edited by Micromegas

In a place that it was allowed you could do an A/B on it and crash out the salts...

H.

Yeah gross bro, don't drink anything that old that was not in the fridge.

Even if it doesn't poison you, you'll probably start to think it has!

I had a container of cactus juice in the fridge in a fairly well sealed container and it still got floaty mould bits. So I'm pouring it over live plants instead. What a waste.

If you freeze it though it'l be good indefintely yes? I've thawed out frozen juice from 2 years ago and it's just fine..

Like ppl have said, prolly fermentation of some sort and best poured onto the garden or compost heap.

nuff said,