The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
random fly

Pollinating lophophora

This summer I've had seas of flowers. This has all been great, and I've maneged to make up some essences, but not a single fruit! The technique I use is to 'tickle' the stamens with a cotton ear-tip and rub this across the carpel of a second plant. WHat am I doing wrong? As far as I understand, there are many stamens huddled below four protruding carpels.

brushes work better than q-tips...q-tips can be super rough on such a delicate stigma. if its williamsii it should have done it itself anyway...which makes me think it may not be warm enough there. my plants generally fruit 3-4weeks after the flower closes....they are in warm conditions in full sun outside. try more light and heat, if there isnt much already.

Try taking a few anthers from one specimen via a set of tweezers and rubbing these directly onto the stigma of your other cacti. You might also try dusting a few microcentrifuge tubes with several batches of pollen which can then be sprinkle/tapped out onto the surface of the stigma. Pollinating a second time a few hours later often improves seed set in many crosses. If you have a self-sterile variety such as Lophophora w. var. Huizache and you are pollenating clones... it will not matter that they are on separate roots so to speak.

Late fertilized flowers can and do gestate over the winter in England,typically a few fruits will emerge before flowers in the spring.

Usually they are not shy about producing them.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give this a go and report back.

Garbage, that's really interesting, the fertilized egg just sits inside all winter!

Edited by random fly

I pretty much rape my flowers with Q-tips... the flowers get all fucked up... Some of the fruits contain 30+ seeds :)

I find its best to get the pollen in there really deep, dont be afraid to stuff i down in there with a toothpick.

Just be careful of ants once the fruit is out, I had 3 fat fruits drying on my loph that got stolen overnight :ana:

mice can be a real pain if you have ground level greenhouses/gardens! they love them and fuck up the plants at the same time! rodents are the reason i now grow mine on my roof and decks!