The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SunChaser

Acacia ID

Question

Got about 5 of these trees growing out back, they have finished flowering but the flowers were identical to A.longifolia

post-968-1231396420_thumb.jpg

post-968-1231396656_thumb.jpg

post-968-1231396841_thumb.jpg

And well I'm here what about this one?

post-968-1231397264_thumb.jpg

post-968-1231397936_thumb.jpg

post-968-1231398198_thumb.jpg

its in western victoria where they are.

Edited by jabez

12 answers to this question

Same flowers as Longifolia...? you mean in colour..? or shape..?..it's kinda the wrong time of year for Longifolia.

Did you do a burn test on the leaves...that can give you some kinda clue as to its activity...

Dunno much more at the moment..I'm still trawling through a wattle ID book and it will take me another year before I'm even slightly confident to ID... :lol: ..right time of year for Obtusi flowering though.

H.

Flowered in spring. Same shape as longifolia, couldn't say about exact colour.

bloody iPhone cut out I didn't think the first post went though.

Burn test, what would ya want to see?

Edited by jabez

we have a couple of species here in my area that are still in flower so it may be a late season in the southern area ? due to the mild weather ?

Worked out that the second one is a.melanoxylon it grows like a weed around here, also got a few a.baileyana and a.mearnsii trees around the place.

But I still can't work out what that first one is, had a proper look around the property today and saw that there is actually more like 17 fully grown trees and smaller ones all over the place, so from what I've read I don't think they would be longifolia or obtusifolia if there that common in the western parts of vic, is that correct? Asked my grampa about them and he said that they have just recently started popping up and have just takin off.

not see, smell.

This is a real cliff hanger..... :o smells like what?????

Just looks like A. longifolia from the pics and info provided. The distribution extends out south australia way.

Worked out that the second one is a.melanoxylon it grows like a weed around here, also got a few a.baileyana and a.mearnsii trees around the place.

But I still can't work out what that first one is, had a proper look around the property today and saw that there is actually more like 17 fully grown trees and smaller ones all over the place, so from what I've read I don't think they would be longifolia or obtusifolia if there that common in the western parts of vic, is that correct? Asked my grampa about them and he said that they have just recently started popping up and have just takin off.

Photo #3 looks like A. longifolia, but the last one (#6) isn't, as it has flat pods. It would be useful to see #3 in flower. If #3 is Acacia longifolia the flowers will be arranged in cylindrical spikes (~2 to 5cm long) sprouting out from the phyllode ('leaf') bases either singly or in pairs. The flowers should extend almost all the way down the spike to its base - i.e. there should not be a peduncle (stalk) at the base of the spike.

These features do not definitely mean it is Acacia longifolia however, as there are over 1200 Acacias in Australia. To be sure you should collect pods, flowers and a sprig of a branch and compare them to those of a confirmed specimen at the Sydney reference herbarium.

Edited by cristop

Photo #3 looks like A. longifolia, but the last one (#6) isn't, as it has flat pods.

see post 7.

if no one answeres, i have to, can't you tell hutch has to know?

anyway, the thing is that all people who know how it smells are living god's and can't be bothered to answere a question like this for a mere human. i must admit this included me aswell, obviously.

the smell is very unique and i would fail trying to describe it, but some of it's smell is scatol like, so in short if it smells like poo, than it might be a good one.

Remember the cans of fart gas that were available in the mid 80's to early 90's, my cousins who were much older than me used to find it quite funny to spray my clothes, that smell is the closest smell i could compare it to, just not as strong as that novelty gas, more it reminds me of the gas when one of the correct leaves are burnt.