The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Lophophora in the ground

Well, this might sound like a quite risky idea. Be it.

Most of you who have read other cultivation posts of mine, will know I am in a mild warm climate.

I have been thinking of puting one of my rooted lophos in soil. What do you think are the odds, and more importantly, where would you think should it be planted? Any special soil likings? Acidic or alkalic soil?

And, what would you think the 'benefits' would be, apart from plant having a more natural shape, faster growth rate and being a sheer pleasure to see?

Have any people done this?

Edited by mutant

What are you growing it in atm if not soil?

I grow mine in pots that are about 3 times the diameter of the button, with 1:1:1 ratio of cacti potting mix: perlite: 10 mm crushed scoria. They're happy like this. Maybe mix in some slow release fertiliser granules when planting, and maybe a little charcoal if they're likely to get wet a lot.

Well drained high mineral content would be beneficial afaik with a pH fluctuating between slightly acidic to slightly alkaline with plenty of calcium available.

There's lots of information on peyote soil around.

If you are on soil that is not suitable, make beds or dig decent holes and fill with the appropriate soil to plant into.

your biggest enemy will be rot. is it wet there? i would say lots of pumice and grit.

Stick the cunts in the ground and never water em...let the rain water em.

H.

Try crushed red volcanic rock with no soil,like this.

Tenerife cactus park used this for everything including a bed of large Lophophora,possibly Fricii.

PIC0073.jpg

Thanks all!

I can't say I live in a wet climate. I have the options of slopes, partshades under trees and bushes... what about sun intake?? Maybe it would be preferable to wait for my plants to become bigger through grafting and then plant in soil, maybe next year? will a bigger plant have better chances of surviving an wet shock? I guess so...

egad , I mean planting outside in soil, not in pots... should have been more specific.....

Thanks all!

I can't say I live in a wet climate. I have the options of slopes, partshades under trees and bushes... what about sun intake?? Maybe it would be preferable to wait for my plants to become bigger through grafting and then plant in soil, maybe next year? will a bigger plant have better chances of surviving an wet shock? I guess so...

egad , I mean planting outside in soil, not in pots... should have been more specific.....

If you're putting them in the ground i'd choose partly shaded, so they get sun in the morning and are shaded from the hot afternoon sun. You can plant them at any size, but the bigger the better. Use a well draining soil/mix, the mix i suggested can be used in ground easily. A bigger plant will have better chances of surviving a wet shock. If they're likely to get too wet at any stage throughout the year, perhaps it is best to keep them in pots so they can be moved around if necessary.