The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
QuantumReality

Leonotis nepetifolia?

Question

Hello, so ive been trying to grow what i think is Leonotis nepetifolia, but im now thinking what i have here is something else, possibly a weed...

Just wondering if anyone familiar with growing Leonotis might be able to tell me what i have?

post-4884-1228714465_thumb.jpg

post-4884-1228714570_thumb.jpg

thanks peeps

13 answers to this question

Looks like Leonotis nepetifolia to me.

and to me, just so that you can set your mind at rest!

they easely can become an unwanted weed, because they are very good in self seeding, so put them somewher were in case this happens, you will not regret it.

i mean somewhere at the bottom of the hill, and definately not in your vegi patch or rose beds.

they can grow very tall, so it might be soon time for you to plant them out of those pots, because plants which have been kept in pots for too long end up with entangled roots, which will stunn growth once you have put them into your field.

That's it alright! Or at least a vary close relative.

Also be aware it can look somewhat like a certain illegal plant to an untrained eye;)

Oh beautiful! thanks peoples ;) i was just keeping them in these pots until i had a positive id.

I would love these to seed everywhere lol they are welcome to invade my veggie patch lol

Once again thank you!

edit... by your photos, it should be big enougb by now (assuming warming temps at your place) that if you run your hands up the stem it should give off a kinda low irritant menthol flyspray smell, if it is LN. Looks like it to me, and I have the stuff all over.

unwanted weeds, I like that. I'm going to steal that PH :P

Bottom of a hill would be a good idea for your own spread, but I do often see patches of this stuff up to 300 metres long (advanced plants, multigenerational, patch probably popped up from nannas planting 20 years before given settlement history of the area I am thinking of) around low lying waterways, etc. It is pretty good at taking over creek margins, where because of it's stinky terpene nature it (by my own quiet observation) seems to discourage mozzies etc which may or may not fuck with fishies getting a feed. It's also a bastard to get thru a patch of it (couple minutes of hiking thru 2 metre plants of this stuff and it doesn't seem quite so Effno anymore) but judging by the looks of your seedlings, you're not in that kickarse a spot for it anyway.

It is very adaptable, you can cut it back to a stump or even below ground and it will resprout in warm weather... pretty pest resistant, I put up with it around tomato plants as it seems to have a similar action to basil esp if you mulch with fresh stuff slashed from lions tail plants...very hungry feeder. Roundupping can sometimes send it into the typical mongy-leafed reduced form, but it can still seed from that state. Small bits will strike on the ground, and seeds can travel eays 20 or 30 metres in a season with a nice plant.

I get all I ever need and then some just from hacking back wild patches, never planted an intentional seed of it in my life. It is a good "practice" plant for certain other herbaceous crops, good for testing growth parameters and environments, grow cabs etc. growign it in your garden will, without careful management, cost your more useful plants a LOT of nutes and water esp when it comes into flower.

I would be curious to know if anyone has any pointers on crossing the minty lion with the straight lion, hand pollination seems a bit iffy with those long tubes but any feedback would be great. I have never seen the standard lion go feral, even in spots where it would seem eager to?

it does make a VERY nice extract, great in a lot of blends where you want an up, almost energetic high, but it won't get you "stoned", just high. For a bit. Nice midmorning supplement :P

I read that in Puerto Rico it is used to treat malaria, but probably doesn't work and somewhere else uses it for an aids medicine.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Irie,

So I had this plant growing in my garden, one of them has reached a height of over 2m.

Was expecting to see bright orange flowers but it's turned out white......????

Still haven't sussed out what it is yet.

Hope the photo loads....Guess it didn't happen.....will try another camera later....

Respect

Z

post-5111-1229462159_thumb.jpg

post-5111-1229462244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zaka

white flowers? probably the white form of Leonotis leonurus.

L.nepetifolia is an annual, while L.leonurus is a perennial.

nepetifolia is actualy a biennial.

i guess, it can't be leonorus as i don't think they can get that tall, but nepetifolia can reach around 3m and i think they can have white flowers aswell.

nepetifolia is actualy a biennial.

are you sure? when it comes up by itself then that's always in late winter and it is dead by late summer.

the few times i let mine grow through, they kept growing and flowering for 2 years, but i killed them for their space. in cold winters they died on their own as soon as it got cooler (10C). the first year i was here i had them started in May 06 and they were ok until march 08 and i gave them the chop. leaves and flower buds were all way smaller after their main flowering burst. not sure if thats the norm or not, but there we have it :)

Still not sure about it???/

It has terminal flowers???

Square stem?

Here's some more photos.

Thanks for the help...

Respect

post-5111-1230811040_thumb.jpg

post-5111-1230811068_thumb.jpg

zaka, your plant is not nepetifolia or leonorus (not even the white form alba), i don't know what it is, but obviously your plant comes from the same family or close to. if you google leonotis nepetifolia/ leonorus and click images, you will find lots of pic that show you how it looks like. nepetifolia got perfectly sphered, very spiky seedpods and a single main leader, leonorus, is formed by multiple branches/shoots and the flower pods don't hurt to touch, are not spherical, and are made of generaly less flowers than nepetifolia.

your plant could be very interressting, how did you come it by?

are ypur flower pods spiky and hurt to touch?

edit: tort, nepetifolia is biannual in the rockhampton shire, maybe because of the local dry conditions, meaning it wait's for the rains to come...

Edited by planthelper

zaka, your plant is not nepetifolia or leonorus (not even the white form alba), i don't know what it is, but obviously your plant comes from the same family or close to. if you google leonotis nepetifolia/ leonorus and click images, you will find lots of pic that show you how it looks like. nepetifolia got perfectly sphered, very spiky seedpods and a single main leader, leonorus, is formed by multiple branches/shoots and the flower pods don't hurt to touch, are not spherical, and are made of generaly less flowers than nepetifolia.

your plant could be very interressting, how did you come it by?

are ypur flower pods spiky and hurt to touch?

edit: tort, nepetifolia is biannual in the rockhampton shire, maybe because of the local dry conditions, meaning it wait's for the rains to come...

Irie,

The plant has grown up where I have previously seen nepetifolia growing wild/yard. None grew this year?

When this plant grew I thought it was the same....I have a number of them around the house.

The buds are soft to touch & has a herbie aroma. Buds seem to be slightly elongated with growth..

Here's a couple more photos;

Respect

Z

post-5111-1231243613_thumb.jpg

post-5111-1231243637_thumb.jpg