The Corroboree
DreamingNagual

Gone Fishin!

Redfin Vs Trout, goes back to the merry old mother country.

Even today fishing for redfin in the U.K. is called 'coarse fishing' and for trout "sport fishing.

Fishing snobery at best.

Redfins an excellent fish to introduce kids to fishing.

What's "coarse" fishing? just sitting there or something?

no fresh water here............ only salt water fishing (carib) ..... I love fishing allot. Last time I went out / 2 weeks ago/ .....a decent size wahoo. (yummm) We usually only go for the pelagics.

What other kind of fish do you get woof woof woof?

Mahi Mahi is my fav

• Like 1

I caught two beauty trout today, weather was a bit rough, actually verging on dangerous - gave me that " I know I am alive" sensation.

Out on my own, a short walk into the lake that I had chosen to stomp around - never been here before,looked good on the map , it just appeared to be the right place to go. Somewhat brighter than than the other lakes on the map.....thats a good omen me thinks

At times had a job to see 10 metres in front of me due to heavy rain..lol. Frogs going off as the lake is filling up with water, wind cutting into face. Thankful the temp is not down to single digits, think that windchill is bringing it down.

"What the fck am I doing here " I am thinking....nearly an hour on I see some fins and tail in the shallows working the flooded margins, weather phases me no more. I have good gear on , I've been in worse.

I will save further details to protect the innocent, and any I may offend.

A good meal for the family, and I am mentally refreshed after attendance in my "church" to take the shit that comes from a working week.

The life of a tripper fisherman....

WB

Nice. Been trying for trout up and around the yarra tributes but with no luck. Whereas Im becoming a river blackfish expert LOL

There is an art to blackfish thats for sure Zen.

If you are lure fisherman and haven't found them yet : Rapala (floating and jointed) in size J-5, a killer colour is the "firetiger". Can post a pick at a later date. These are great for trout, use to be a celta only man...lol.

Bonefish interest me, have seen a bit of footage of this species. I haven't met anyone that has fished for them. Are you attempting them on fly gear?

are therere any muray cod aficanados hể?

So are soft plastics a good bait ? I have purchased about four types, and i like the idea that you rig them up to 'swim' when you are reeling in. They are so realistic. My only issue is biodegradability, but I'm assuming theyre fine because the Fisheries dept don't ban their use (an in NSW there are a lot of rules!)

Any Sydney folk who might want to suggest some spots either metro area or within 2 hours drive ? Fresh or salt, I don't care. But no rock or beach fishing, my rod isn't big enough.

I believe all soft plastic will eventually dissolve but some quicker than others. There are also biodegradeable sinkers on the market too.

Soft plastics are different to lures meaning that you do not retrieve at a constant speed. More of a twitch, pause, twitch, pause etc etc motion

My fishing buddy has good success with them but not me :(

A bonus is that your hands do not reek of fish even after washing them several times.

A couple of spots you could try are Narrabeen Lake. Haven't fished it much but this site have been meaning too

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/narrabeen-lakes.php

Clifton Gardens

Has a good wharf and lights but crowded.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=clifton+gardens&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=hS-dT8PSAoyZiQe7mu3VDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAg

Balmoral

Almost directly north on that map is Rocky Point/Hunters Bay aka Balmoral.

A small jetty which is also crowded or you can try the beach (its a harbour beach so no waves)

Some big fish have come out of there but whenever I fish there its usually empty handed.

A bonus is that your hands do not reek of fish even after washing them several times.

You obviously haven't tried Berkley GULP haha :wink:

I have some Berkely gulps, and boy do they stink.

OPP, I tried the area around the zoo, that's Clifton Gardens, right ? Personally I didn't find it too pleasant, with the landscape of the city skyscrapers in my face, and heaps of harbour traffic. Part of my newfound hobby is to find places that are chilled out and in a bush setting. Will try Narabeen Lakes soon.

Something that also concerns me about fishing in Sydney Harbour is the DPI warnings that you should only eat 150g of whatever you pull out.. PER MONTH ! As I'm fishing for food, not sport, I think I'll steer away from the harbour (or Parramatta River for that matter).

Any tips for the Central Coast, South Coast, or inland south within say 2 hours of Sydney ? I heard that Fitzroy Falls just out of Kangaroo Valley used to be stocked.

Woy Woy bridge and the channels around Woy Woy, around the mangroves. Lots of big flatties :wink:

Edited by tonic

The fish reek smell can by countered by washing your hands with toothpaste :wink: Try it.

I have seen some old pictures of blokes in their Sunday best with Murray Cod bigger than them. This really captivated me as a child that such things swum in freshwaters....

150g./month - shit thats a real issue, biomagnification going on there to the max. Some fish would be worse - Bream a classic example in estuaries because they live for a long period. We have issues with metals in the estuaries down here.

Those recommendations are for fish caught West for the Harbour Bridge. Seems a bit silly to me as fish can move around unlike plants which stay in one place. As a guide it probably works.

Psylo- Yeah Clifton Gardens is near the zoo, down a hill that opens to a carpark, big open lawn area and baths. Quite busy as you say but their aren't many other wharves/jetties around that area.

waterboy-I'll keep the toothpaste tip in mind.

OPP I thought so too. But the current DPI signage down near Taronga (three weeks ago) says that's north east of the bridge, and anything west (such as parra river), you shouldnt eat at all ! Still,, it doesn't stop people pulling out of Meadowbank or Gladesville. But you wont find me there, thats for sure.

Ho do I gear up a line for flatties, they sit on the bottom right? I suppose I'm asking, how do I avoid getting snagged if I'm not using a floatie thing? (obvious newbie term there)

I think I need to find a mentor, or a shore-based fishing club.

Edited by Psylo Dread

Those recommendations are for fish caught West for the Harbour Bridge. Seems a bit silly to me as fish can move around unlike plants which stay in one place. As a guide it probably works.

This is the latest, straight from the fisheries site. Mind you, what youre saying WAS true, because i read it in a few fishing books borrowed from the library. Outdated now I suppose.

Previous test results have revealed elevated levels of dioxins in fish and crustaceans across Sydney Harbour, including Parramatta River and other connected tidal waterways. A ban was consequently placed on commercial fishing in 2006 as a precautionary measure.

Recreational fishing in the Harbour has not been banned, but fishers are urged to follow dietary advice on the consumption of seafood from the Sydney Harbour, Parramatta River and other connected tidal waterways. Fishers can also continue to practise catch and release. Based on advice from an expert panel, the Government is recommending that:

• No fish or crustaceans caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch.

• For fish caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge generally no more than 150 grams per month should be consumed.

most of the tropical saltwater pelagics is what we usually focus on Rumple. Love mahi allot too. Still my fav to catch.

tuna's, wahoo, barracuda.. bill fishies....

we do some bottom fishing too every now and then. Snappers mostly.

What do you guys do when you catch a undersized fish with the hook deep in its throat?

I know some people cut the hook from the line saying it will rust away quickly but I am doubtful. Anyone know more about that?

Its always a dilema...

Saltwater is very corrosive on hooks, do not use small stainless steel ones and they will corrode quickly.

Freshwater however I am not convinced on this corrosion effect.

"circle hooks" can help , and depending on the fishing style barbless hooks can work (some lures/flys)

It is a dilema Sapito....

OPP I thought so too. But the current DPI signage down near Taronga (three weeks ago) says that's north east of the bridge, and anything west (such as parra river), you shouldnt eat at all ! Still,, it doesn't stop people pulling out of Meadowbank or Gladesville. But you wont find me there, thats for sure.

Ho do I gear up a line for flatties, they sit on the bottom right? I suppose I'm asking, how do I avoid getting snagged if I'm not using a floatie thing? (obvious newbie term there)

I think I need to find a mentor, or a shore-based fishing club.

For flatties you want sand beds, so you need it heavy enough to drop to the bottom. If your going to get snagged, your going to get snagged. Not much you can do about that, but you'll get good at getting them off, or if not, getting rigged quickly again.

If you are using plastics Psylo then check out youtube for different rigs and retrieval techniques. The whip seems to be well supported by those who use plastics for flatties but who knows. Go with a basic sinker, swivel and hook rig or even a patenoster if your using bait.

Youtube can be a great starting point if you are new to it all and manufacturers of fishing gear will quite often post some very informative instructionals for beginners.

I have been playing around with some squidgies lately but no luck really, got ONE bight today on one (yay) and got bored and went to bait. Went home with 5 bream and a flathead one hour later.

I think I will bypass plastics and go to lures maybe...

Edited by Opticaldelusion

Heading up toward Barrington National Park for four days next weekend, and hope to catch us some dinner along the way. Can anyone recommend some prime shore-based spots on the Central Coast? I'm reading that the Entrance channel is a goldmine. Will be going via Warners Bay to pick up some goodies, so anywhere not too far off the highway on Lake Macquarie is an option also. Looking at the map, how's that channel around swansea for fish?

How about a Sydney fishing meet? Their are plenty of ripper spots around me in the Illawarra, catering for everything... Plenty more closer to Sydney I'm sure too, at least you can eat what you catch here though (if you choose to!)

I'll come down to the 'warra in the summer for sure, for some shore based action. I really want to fish with some experienced hands.

• Like 1