The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
notguilty

mitre 10

Question

12 answers to this question

Pilosocereus azureus and Trichocereus of some sort - probably T. peruvianus.

Do people even bother looking thru old ID threads before posting? There have been at least 2 other P. azureus ID requests in the last week - how hard is it to spend 5 mins before posting to see if there has been anything similar posted lately?? :scratchhead:

The first two pics are pilocereus azureus

The second two are trichocereus,

Which mitre 10? My few locals don't have any plants and can't seem to find any that do.

Edited by salem13

Pilosocereus azureus and Trichocereus of some sort - probably T. peruvianus.

Do people even bother looking thru old ID threads before posting? There have been at least 2 other P. azureus ID requests in the last week - how hard is it to spend 5 mins before posting to see if there has been anything similar posted lately?? :scratchhead:

Sorry Ace, I actually spent ten. Am I looking in the wrong area? Any hints on searching threads would be appreciated.

They were spotted in an off the track town and they don't normally carry larger cacti. retailing at 21.95?

Sorry Ace, I actually spent ten. Am I looking in the wrong area? Any hints on searching threads would be appreciated.

Nah I had my pink frillies in a bunch - sorry for the crankies earlier :) These two threads (1 and 2) are the ones I was referring to - not quite the last week but within the last few.

It is always hit and miss searching for similar species for ID - pretty hard to search for the name when you got no idea. I find it interesting just trawling through recent ID threads (or even old ones) is a great way to get a feel for what is what, and which are the more common species found in places like Mitre10/Bunnings/etc. After a little bit it's quite easy to pick the common lookalike species (there are a few that people often mistake for Trichs).

retailing at 21.95?

Little hard to see exactly how tall they are (the P. az is a decent size, going off the areole spacing), but I'd say that's about average for most retailers. Even if they were tiny little things, they look very healthy and happy so that sort of $ isn't bad at all :)

Thanks Ace.

I did look at those threads and they just did not look similar, on second and third look the top view looks very similar, untrained eye makes it a bit hard.

The second cacti (pic 3 & 4) is very rounded at the top and does not resemble my supposed T.P again untrained eye.

sorry again about pictiure quality but the second cacti is about 12 inch and fat.

I'm thinking the Trich is probably not a peruv - looks maybe like a cuzco or something similar. Certainly not very blue and the spines dont seem to have the obvious central spine that would indicate peruv. Might have to leave it to the more educated IDers to make a call :)

entheo-

what color are the new spines on the second plant?

I'd go along with Ace in thinking its not a trich, I've an inkling of what it is, if i can just remember!

Definitely a Trich, probably T. cuzcoensis as mentioned by Ace, or a hybrid.

hmm its hard to say but it could be stenocereus stellatus?

entheo-

what color are the new spines on the second plant?

They are grey all over, does not have any coloring in the spines at all.

I am going to get one of them but not sure which one. Any suggestion on which to chose?