The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Negative Poppy Experience

Last night I made a tea from 6 large poppy heads. After drinking a cup and a half of the foul tasting stuff, I went to lay down and enjoy it. Since this was my first time, I had no idea really what to expect. When it started to come on, I was feeling euphoric and sexually aroused. It was a decent feeling... similar to taking a couple Vicodins. After coming down (about an hour and half later), I went to the bathroom to urinate and couldn't get a stream going and was feeling very dizzy, so dizzy that I had to sit down or I thought I would faint. The next morning (today), I was still feeling dizzy, pounding headache and difficulty urinating. My wife had some too and she is also feeling dizzy and sick but hasn't had a problem with emptying her bladder.

The question I am asking is if anyone has had similar experiences? I am unsure of the particular species of poppy...?

Some poppies are quite toxic, you should always be sure of your botanical identification before taking any herb. Can you describe the poppy?

the urinary problem is not uncommon but is short term only in my experience.

t s t .

I also had 6-7 poppies last night, the only problems I had that they were too small and it wasn't enough...

Never had that uriniation problem with poppies but do remember having it with something else, just can't remember what...

adding one datura leaf to 6 poppies makes it also quite a bit nicer.

perhaps you had a tasmanian strain with thebaine in it?

(I think I never had the "pleasure")

Hmmm... the first times I had poppy were EXCELLENT...

[ 19. August 2003, 20:00: Message edited by: gomaos ]

friends- as tantra said, the difficulty in urinating(& often constipation) are classic symptoms ov opium/smack- you just have to concentrate really really hard, or go before the tea really hits. the dizzyness & headache are usually indications you did a tad too much- try less pods & more water(you should checkout

http://opium.poppies.org for more info-, if you haven't allready).

9 times out ov 10 those dizzy, headache, nausea feelings will go away if you just lie down

IMHO there is no 'negative experience' about opiates that can't be straightened out w/experience; i'd go so far as to say they're so good it's addictive.

[ 19. August 2003, 10:13: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

The dizziness and headache didn't really happen until after the come down. Now its 24 hours later and my wife and I STILL feel like we were in a trainwreck. The short high was NOT worth the after effects. I'm not sure of the strain, but when I find out, I'll be sure to post it for all to know.

Elo all,

Robert that seems a little frustrating to me.

I trust all is well now?

Ill keep me eyes peeled for the species post.

Good luck.

Well... I just made contact with the person who sent me the poppies, (with the full understanding that I was going to be "using" them and NOT looking at them as some kind of decoration). Her response was that she "personally never had poppy tea" and "has no idea what botanical species they were". The more I think about this the madder I get for #1- taking someone's word for it and putting our health in jeapordy and #2- for someone to send an item to another individual to ingest without even knowing themselves if it is consumable. I think there might be a lesson here for everyone who reads this to be more careful about what the hell we are doing, and to not let our excitement about trying something new get in the way of our common sense. We drank this tea on Sunday night and today is Tuesday and my wife and I are still feeling the toxic effects. My wife was doubled over with stomach pain last night and went to bed sick.

This is probably even more reason to "sample" a small dose of anything if you're not sure of how you'll react to it, and of its source.

I did take some photos of the pods and since the person who sent them doesn't know what strain they are, we may also never know... unless someone can make an identification from looking at the pods, (if this is even feasible)? I can say that the pods had blue seeds in some of them and grey in others, if that's of any use...? If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures, send me a direct email and I'll get it to you.

Have you considered that the poppies may have been treated with something? While growing they may have been sprayed with an insecticide or fungicide. Dried poppy pods that are used for display are sometimes coated with shellac or something similar. Poppies often mold after harvest so they may have been treated with a preservative.

Stoney

"The dizziness and headache didn't really happen until after the come down."--rob, the effects ov opiates last for just about 24 hours--- you say you first started to feel bad " After coming down (about an hour and half later)"---man, you were still in the opiates grip--(if you couldn't urinate--definately) did you check your pupils?

i still think your symptoms are classic "over indulgence"-- 6 big pods between 2 people could be alot.

it could be you got a "bad" strain, but henge's suggestion that, if they were for display, they may have been treated is more reasonable..

[ 20. August 2003, 08:25: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

To be honest... I had no idea how many to take other than reading in the book- "Opium For The Masses" to start with 10-12 to get really stoned. I like to start "light" so we took 6 large heads and blended them in a blender to a fine powder and then added a few cups of boiling water to the blender to sit for a few minutes before straining. Then I did a second straining to leach out any remaining opiates. We got a total of 2 1/2 "thick" cups of tea and I drank 1 1/2 and my wife drank the other.

After the euphoria and a "viscious hard pounding sex bout", I thought it was over. Early that morning, (2 or 3am) I went to the head and tried to urinate but couldn't... then I started to spin in circles and had to sit on the can and lean against the wall and was sweaty and clammy. I felt like I had a fever and was coming down with the flu. If I was still "high"... it was awful and not something I would want to repeat. I did enjoy the initial stages and wonder if it was a lower dose, if it may not have had the other nasty effects...?

I got another email from the seller and she mentioned the strain was probably Papavar, ("since they are so big") and that they were "natural". I do notice they have a slight dusting of mold near the crowns on the ones that are leftover, but I did wash the ones we ate and don't think that could have caused the problem anyway..?

Well, I wouldn't get too mad about this, you made the choice to try those, they weren't forced upon you, and NORMALLY six poppies per person is no more than a nice dose...

and yes, poppies don't work just for a couple of hours they work for up to 12 hrs or even longer, that's what makes them so great...

I don't know what went wrong with your experience, it's certainly not typical...

unless they were a thebaine strain or something....

check out poppies. org

it's really hard to say what's a "big" dose.

if they were golf ball type big or bigger then 6 would be more than ample- especially if you drank the 'grounds' as well.

all the symptoms you describe are characteristic ov a large hit. some folks who take smack only know they've had enough when they get to that dizzy, throwing up stage(it's not as bad as normal throwing up, & after you either feel much better or lay down w/your head pounding from the worst migraine ever, wondering why you ever touched heroin in the first place; so i'm told).

all that throwing up is 1 reason why junkies have poor teeth.

All my gnomes poppies got mistaken for weeds (still in lettuce stage) and got sprayed with round-up!!! I could've cried when I wsa cheerfully told that my garden had been sprayed for weeds so I'd be able to plant things now. I washed them but I think it may have been a bit late...3hrs

Last year it was ducks.... I don't think I'm meant for this plant somehow. Anyone know if its too late to start again.... this lot were planted really late anyway.

So whats so good about poppies then?

ive only got a couple of dozen kinds but have never tried them

Smiling cloud i so sympathise

HM years you been trying? 3 for me

And as matter of fact quite a few of mine made it - i know - someone took the photos for me :) both times

Firts year i scatterred only Paeonies and had an amazing crop of beuatiful flowers.

Im beginning to think this just isnt my plant

So yeah what is so good?

All ive ever read is about the nausea, and vomiting and nodding off and yes i admit the sexual aspect sounds damn good - do you hallucinate? Dream? It is Strongly Euphoric? (like MDMA peak)

Smiling Cloud:

You can probably still get a quick crop this year...

ole granny down the road tells me they are still sprouting readily, but probably won't get full size anymore before they head.... nevermind, even small poppy heads work...

ole granny down the road says also that some of her first experiences were sort of overwhelming...say six poppies and one SMALL datura leaf mixed with them would send her flying into uncharted realms at night...

she mostly took them before bedtime and then spend all night in a dreaming/sleeping/waking stage unlike anything she has ever experienced before.

The next morning she could not really remember where she had been, all she knew that it was VERY GOOD...

all in all a very addictive experience of course, so watch yourself...

very awesome and satisfying, as long as you can keep your tolerance down...

which means the first times are always the best...

(or you might get the sort of "rejection" that Robert and his partner experienced, that can happen too.

Remember when you smoked your first cigarette, how sick that made you?)

[ 23. August 2003, 11:49: Message edited by: gomaos ]

rev--you're kidding right?

like i said, it does take a bit ov experience to get the benefits--

total euphoria, a "high on life" feeling, a burst ov energy, a loss ov ALL physical pain(sometimes a "realisation" in itself), loss ov all feelings ov guilt(again-sometimes a "realisation" in itself), thoughts seem to move quickly- but the content ov those thoughts is dreamily unreal(hard to concentrate on a specific task, w/out "snapping to" in the mid ov it, realising your mind has been on vacation for the last 5 minutes---these feelings over the course ov say 4 hours begin to wash in & out, being replaced by the "comfortably numb" nodd. if allowed to sleep for 4 hours, on waking you'll be refreshed but still in the dreamy state.

appetite is not affected as much as is claimed.

penile function is affected as much as claimed.

Actually i was asking seriously. I mean something so popular througout history and prehistory has to be good. but its still an enigma to me.

Codeine makes you me washed out - but it does have great painkilling effects. Morphine made me sick as a dog.

Papaverine has aphrodisiac qualities

Opium is such a complex mix of substances that having just a few in isolation might not allow you to GET the whole picture.

Sounds great its just that people go on about the nausea so much. Is it the Tea or does smoking eating or consuming laudanum have the same effects?

When i chuck on Aya its not unpleasant at all - what about opiates?

1,4-B, Valerian, Mandrake and Corydalis have nice dreamy effects as well

I've got couple of questions now:

What exactly is Laudanum?

You see them taking it in movies and they're totally gone... I understand it is opium mixed with alcohol, or something similar?

Also, you mentioned mandrake...

what's the best way of use?

are the leaves good for something?

How do you use the root?

Hmmm... maybe I should look it up at erowid...

but would love some input, rev...

Had to go back to 1960 for this one:

Opium tincture (Laudanum, deodorized tincture of opium, Tinctura Opii)

Opium tincture contains, from each 100ml, not less than 0.95 grams and not more than 1.05 grams of anhydrous morphine.

Pour 500ml of boiling water on 100 grams of granulated opium [they mean pharmaceutical grade opium- 10% morphine content] and stir the mixture frequently during 24 hours. Transfer the liquid to a percolator... evaporate the percolate to 400ml, boil it actively for at least 15 minuts, then allow it to stand overnight. Heat the mixture to 80 degrees, add 50 grams paraffin and heat until the paraffin is melted, boil thuroughly and set aside to cool. Remove the paraffin [bet you never thought of defatting with paraffin, huh? This improves flavor and odor.] Add enough water to bring the volume to 750 ml. To the filtered liquid add 188 ml alcohol. Assay the product, then dilute with a 25% sol'n of alcohol to make the final product contain 1% anhydroud morphine.

-The dispensatory of the united states of america, 1960 edition.

my gnomes experience is that the tea is probably the worst for nausea- which could be for many reasons, not least the fact you have to supress the "gag" reflex from the word go.

smoking seems to have more ov a nausea creep.

the throwing up is easy, compared to usual.

& laudenum--i've never tried, but believe it to be just a tincture ov opium & alcohol--there's a film "Gothic", which deals w/the celebrated "facts" ov how the Frankenstein story was written. the filmakers seem to have assumed everyone was tripping on laudenum, & make good use ov special effects--worth a look.

Rev : If morphine makes you "sick as a dog" then its possible your one of the poor unfortunates that is allergic to morphine. I know a few poeple like that. One person I know died on the operating table (and was revived) becuase she was given a morphine based anasthetic (sp?) instead of a pethadine based one.

For others the difference is hours of sickness - opposed to a quick recovery.

As far as I can tell - opium is great for the vast majority - some, like myself never get any nausea, whereas others get real sick - so sick that the effects just arent worth it.

Is it also possible that your one of the "lucky" ones who dont metabolise codeine properly and it works REALLY well for?

For Robert - I dont know if this would explain it or not, but there is a variety of Tas. poppies that is high in Thebaine, which can be toxic in humans. Might be worth looking into.

FS

hy all !

Reville; to your first question "why every thing you read is about bad effects..." i would like to answer this ; when you read the web about sex, does it give you a correct opinion of what is sex ... ?! :D

it is often best and more safe to be introduce to a new product by a friendly experimented personn. she could choice the best strain, ingestion method and dose regarding her experience and what she "know about you...."!

for exemple a person who prefer stimulant and light hallucinogeniq trip for their recreative and relationship quality are maybe not the good personn for a strong taz first experience...

in general using light dose at begining without any other things like cafeine, tobacco, hash,alcool give a little preview of the stuff.

unluckily you often need good dose and a few experience before having a real pleasure.

about the headhache in the morning: you could use this time to lurn the lesson for the next time you will want to try poppy...ah,ah but i also eared about gnome who are using light tobacco dose as antipoison for opium or you could use a mix of cafeine-paracetamol and sometime a really, really light dose of the opiate...drink water and keep cool.

to conclude there is a lot of good advive in this topic,talking after was dificult without saying something twice.

hy too Nabraxas ! i am as fine as i could...

thanks for the compliment but i don't know if i am a master :D

could i ask you why you choose this french phrase as signature ?