The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Planting multiple cuttings together?

Is there a problem with putting a few cuttings together in a single pot in close proximity?

Trichocereus? Nope wouldn't think so... as long as the roots have enough room to grow.

I was thinking about putting some Lophophora, Aztekium and Strombocactus in one pot together... but I'm not so sure this will be best for the cacti, but it'd look really cool! I was gonna add a tons of quartz crystals so it appears the cacti are growing among them!

Trichocereus? Nope wouldn't think so... as long as the roots have enough room to grow.

I was thinking about putting some Lophophora, Aztekium and Strombocactus in one pot together... but I'm not so sure this will be best for the cacti, but it'd look really cool! I was gonna add a tons of quartz crystals so it appears the cacti are growing among them!

Sooner or later (with trichs at least) you're going to want to repot, and allowing them to mesh their roots together means a bit of a nightmare when that time comes. I've got a couple of rooted cuttings in the same pot because I was lazy, and they need to be repotted this spring... *sigh* ... will be a mission...

Reason is that I'm running out of room for every cacti to have their own pot :(

That and it would look nice I think to have a few various trichos together, maybe a bridge, pach, scop something like that.. I know what you mean about repotting though.. especially when they start branching

I'm also kinda impatient in life, I want it to look like i've got some nice big full plants but dont' want to wait years for that to happen.. bah, stupid reason really

Would it be feasible to untangle and then trim the roots (or a variation thereof) and them let them heal for a week or more before replanting. Can't see that being too detrimental to the health of the plants apart from possibly slowing them down until new roots can form. Like Coschi (not the one from the morning television broadcast), I too am running out of space and have put a few plants and cuts etc; together, not ideal I know. I did notice a while back that alot (generalisation) of Americans seem to plant a few Trichos to one pot and seem to get pretty decent results.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it's a double edged sword, with pros and cons (no not convicts & prostitutes, jeez ya dirty buggers!). I say go for it if you're running out of space, or find someone who is willing to grow your plants in the ground for you (am sure you will have to share, a small price to pay for massive ground grown Trichos), go for it I say.

Teotz, I like your potted cacti garden idea, the only major problem with that is, all those cacti you mention have different requirements so one or all may suffer from being grown in the same pot. I would suggest growing plants that grow in direct association in nature and work from there.

edited to make more sense :rolleyes:

Edited by Phos D

Would it be feasible to untangle and then trim the roots (or a variation thereof) and them let them heal for a week or more before replanting. Can't see that being too detrimental to the health of the plants apart from possibly slowing them down until new roots can form. Like Coschi (not the one from the morning television broadcast), I too am running out of space and have put a few plants and cuts etc; together, not ideal I know. I did notice a while back that alot (generalisation) of Americans seem to plant a few Trichos to one pot and seem to get pretty decent results.

Untangle the roots as much as you can, don't worry about breaking a few (so long as they're not the big chunky ones). Just repot straight away, no need to wait for them to heal I don't think. I think it would be more detrimental to leave them out and have the small/fine roots shrivel and have to be regenerated?

its no problem to plant multiple cuttings together, it actually forms a kind of support system for the roots, helps keep good moisture in, keeps them from getting lonely too. eventually you will have to re-pot. dont "pack" them in, but if you have the room 2-3 cuttings will happily grow together in the same pot.

Dude, the simplest way of doing this would be to have dividers, or even separate pots inside a bigger pot. If you're going to put a surface over the top you won't see what's underneath, and it would make it easier to dismantle and repot when the time comes..

It would still be best to put like with like though, for ease of maintenance.

I strongly recommend against putting cacti in the same pots. If you're looking for a cactus collection with large plants, then letting have its own rootspace will speed that along considerably.

If you do need to untangle roots, the best method I've found is:

1) hold pot upside down and slowly ease the entire rootmass and dirt out, resting on its side to prevent damaged spines. I've found that putting a ton of plastic grocery bags inside one another to support the cactus is a good idea.

2) gently loosen the soil that isnt connected to roots.

3) grab the lowest base of the cactus where no spines are (1 inch below soil level) and gently shake, allowing the majority of the soil to fall off

4) soak the rootmass in a bucket of water

5) finally take a hose and gently spray the rest of the rootmass to remove most of the the rest of the dirt and gently unwind any still stuck roots.

You'll almost certainly end up ripping a few roots but it works well.

bleep

Edited by zelly

I personally root them in same pots a little bit away from eachother. As far as keeping it permanent, I'm sure it will result in stunted growth. NO biggie that way either :)

I just spent about 3 hours separating and repottng two trich spach/grandiflorus plants which had been put in the same pot side by side. Not fun!!!!!!

Just don't do it!!!

hehe, i have a nice 12" knife i use for all my untangling :uzi: cut, dry, repot, grows well :)

i use those window style trays for my smaller trichs and cuttings before they get used or planted outside. they come in all sizes and are long and skinny and butt up against each other very well.

hehe, i have a nice 12" knife i use for all my untangling :uzi: cut, dry, repot, grows well :)

i use those window style trays for my smaller trichs and cuttings before they get used or planted outside. they come in all sizes and are long and skinny and butt up against each other very well.

Ahh well I didn't want to let these dry out as I've heard that allowing the roots to completely dry effectively kills the root. I dunno. I had to break a few obviously. Repotted straight away. Will see how it goes :D

trichs are really forgiving, just lay off the water for a couple weeks and you'll be alright....if it was an ario or astro, you would be regretting doing that :)