The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

p harmala

cant get any of these seeds to germinate.

do they need scarification/soaking?

Must of all they need above 30 degrees C temperatures... germinated some last year in really hot weather...

That plant is a BITCH! to start from seed!!! They will come up easily but then all of a sudden will plop over, never to regain consciosness. I haven't had one make it yet and I'm in very hot weather here in Florida. If anyone has the secret to this one, I would like to know what it is...

BTW, has anyone had success using the mature plant and how was it best used by you?

Same story..I think they need to dry up a little,maybe like cacti,after they sprout :confused:

I dont have much experience with these plants but would say that the temp is a major factor to them germinating. I just had a couple germinate after being in the soil for 6 months when reusing the tray they were in for some other seeds. The tray was getting temp up to 30 - 35deg C.

Last summer I was getting good germination rates up to 85% with 30 - 40deg C temps. These were grown in seedraising mix then transplanted into larger pots (25cm) with organic potting mix.

The plants grew very well to 40cm bushes until the weather started to get cold. Now they have all died back.

Does anybody have any advice for treating these plants over winter?

Is there anyway of keeping them going over this period?

I am treating them as cactuses over the winter have stopped watering them is this ok?

Thanks

in the winter the plant appears deceased (here anyway). water is of little use at this stage as there is no foliage, when the temps rise in spring new growth forms from the base. late winter dormancy is also a good time for transplanting these into bigger pots or clumps. this plant has more to fear from overwatering than from dryness.

have one 3 yo plant,all other attemps have eventually failed.

this plant was started in a pot of exhausted soil,with little organic content.when it needed repotting i placed the pot,a bit high inside a larger pot.i alternately water each pot letting it dry out between waterings.it dies back and produces new shoots in autumn but doesnt take off till spring.i try to keep it dry in winter,and give it rain water if possible.it hasnt flowered yet though,this year i'll push it a bit .

t s t .

The best germination I ever had with these was planting them a few mm deep in pure perlite in a mildly hot environment and keeping very close watch on watering (too much they rot and die, too little they dry out and die).

Anyone else tried perlite?

Maybe try 'hot coco-bricks',you can see the 'wetness' of the surface, and it is pretty sterile(of nutrients as well).

It seems to promote good root growth since it is aerated.

I have a tricho coming up by mistake in this medium,and it is the first succesful cacti (so far!) that I've had

Both are arid plants so germination is a pain in the arse