The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Dragonfruit

Question

Found this guy growing along the roadside (over a fence from a backyard). Large plant, 10ft tall perhaps, many arms. Asked for a cutting, request was granted... wondering if perhaps this is dragonfruit. I've looked at images on the net and I'm still not 100% sure, but it does have the 'triangle' cross section (I think, I didn't cut into it, but it has three definite 'edges' in a triangular arrangement).

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance,

Micro

post-1521-1219064636_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1219064666_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Dragonfruit is apparently from a few of the hylocereus species... you might have a hylo that is a flowering one... But then again, it could well be a fruiting one as well...

Looks like a hylo for sure, guess you just need to grow it and wait for it to flower/set fruit...

good luck :)

if you found it next to the road side, it's extreemly unlikely to be the dragon fruit.

there is a look alike which is very common in oz and often hoped to be the dragon fruit, but it ain't.

Doesn't look like my hylocereus undatus sorry

It could well be. Dragon fruit are highly variable, I have many plants all from different locations. I only collect them when I see them fruit and they all look different from each other except for the flower and fruit. One of them looks similar to your photos. I have seen and eaten its fruit which is most definitely a dragon fruit. Fruiting of wild growing dragon fruit is spasmodic and dependent on rain and nutrients. Attached is an image of massive plant that has consumed a mature 80 year old pine tree. It rarely fruits but flowers heavily however this year was a bumper year for some reason. This plant has so much variation in branches that is hard to believe it is the same plant.

post-3557-1219138506_thumb.jpg

Without a doubt a Hylocereus. most likely H. undatus.

There are quite a few different species and they all get OK fruit, but some are bigger and tastier than others. Some are cultivars bred for bigger/better fruit but yours is unlikely to be a fancy cultivar if it was growing wild. H. undatus has actually become naturalised in some areas of SE QLD, it can be invasive.

Some species are frost sensitive so you can be glad of a variety suited to your conditions. A good idea is to cross polinate with another dragonfruit clone as you will get better fruit formation. Some years none get pollinated so do it yourself to be sure. Be careful where you plant it they can get huge.

Check out Selenicereus too some get excellent fruit.

Interesting, thanks guys. Naturally, nothing is exactly clarified I'll just have to plant it and see I guess, I have some nice gum trees it may enjoy scrambling up! In the mean time I'll keep my eye out for a dragonfruit I can be sure of at a nursery.

I thought, also, it was too easy just to find it on the side of the road. To be exact it was in someone's garden, there was a rather large T.spachianus next to it, so not entirely wild but clearly not cared for as a producer of delicious fruit. In fact, I'm not sure conditions are that great for fruiting in Adelaide anyway, cause i've seen these plants around before but never with fruit (no pollination perhaps?).

Thanks for the heads up on Selenicereus monkeyman, a share house i lived in once (before my interest in plants) had a massive one growing on a trellis and would get covered in 50-100 huge flowers every year... but i never saw a fruit, not once!

Either way, whatever it may be, I appreciate the input and since I took the cutting I'll go ahead and see what happens :rolleyes: ... and I'll get another DF somewhere sometime I'm sure, for cross pollination...

Cheers,

Micro

BTW saibot that's one monster of a dragonfruit!

Thanks for the heads up on Selenicereus monkeyman, a share house i lived in once (before my interest in plants) had a massive one growing on a trellis and would get covered in 50-100 huge flowers every year... but i never saw a fruit, not once!

AHHH Where and When!?!? You should go back and get a shitload. They are good for grafting too. Hook me up dude I want as many varieties as I can get.

It prolly didn't fruit because of either no pollinator (which in Australia seems to be hawkmoths) or else it needs pollen from a different clone (or other Selenicereus species). All you need to do is pollinate by hand which is easy.

I'll send you a box of dragons, just get me a few Selenis!!! Cheers Bro I LOVE you!

Hey monkeyman, this was in Adelaide 4 years ago. Pretty sure it's what you're after, had huge white flowers similar to trichs we used to call it the medusa plant. V.impressive when in flower! If the plant is still there I'll get you some cuttings for sure, shouldn't be a problem as quite coincidentally a friend is now living in the house (rented it never knowing I had lived there)... may take a week or two though... watch this space!

Edited by Micromegas

is this the same sp.?

cacti.jpg

i have it growing all over the roof of the shed, any possibility of using it as a stock for grafting?

has awesome flowers, that stink.

any possibility of using it as a stock for grafting?

it makes a great grafting stock - very commonly used for Astrophytum - its suits others too.