The Corroboree
soundman

little monsters. ID please..

hello there.

SWIM found these guys today. They dont look like subs or cubes... any ideas?

SM

post-4306-1218633084_thumb.jpg

Fark! Ive never seen any shrooms like that before. They don't look active to me. Ive never seen that sort of bluing before on a mushroom. Looks more like the blue you get on some boletes.

I have no idea what they are but I'm sure its quite obvious to someone more knowledgeable than me. Cool find anyways.

very strange... but TBH it looks like someone attacked a small Cort with a blue marker.

The woody stem looks like a type of Cortinarius, some of which can blue, though nothing like that.

Can you do a spore print, and/or show a picture of the gills, describe how the gills attach to the cap, say if the stem is hollow, thick, pithy etc, describe the habitat (from decaying wood, from woody debris, woodchips, grass, soil etc), name the trees it was growing under..

but at first look i'd say the blueing is due to a Sharpie cyanescens (Blue sharpie marker).

The blueing just looks like it's been added, it's not bruising blue.

Edited by Undergrounder

I'm pretty sure its a natural stain, Ive seen boletes in some unbelievable colours from reds to purples and have seen blue staining on some that looks very similar to the one pictured.

The bottom one looks like its been stained from picking it at the lower stem and the top from then handling the cap.

I would suggest it is a 'Lepista personata'

Lepista%20personata_p.jpg

Check this out for some crazy coloration.

0061.jpg

Edited by AndyAmine.

very strange... but TBH it looks like someone attacked a small Cort with a blue marker.

The woody stem looks like a type of Cortinarius, some of which can blue, though nothing like that.

Can you do a spore print, and/or show a picture of the gills, describe how the gills attach to the cap, say if the stem is hollow, thick, pithy etc, describe the habitat (from decaying wood, from woody debris, woodchips, grass, soil etc), name the trees it was growing under..

but at first look i'd say the blueing is due to a Sharpie cyanescens (Blue sharpie marker).

The blueing just looks like it's been added, it's not bruising blue.

Hi there, thanks for response... cant get another shot as dont have camera with me.. They were found in wood chips near the yarra, the stem is pithy and slightly woody. Are you suggesting that the blue has been added by some sort of spray?

i'm thinking like inspysight, that looks very much like dye from herbicide spraying. (oh and undergrounder more or less hehe :D )

They aren't boletes as the specimens are gilled :)

Did you notice any weeds sprayed in the area? or any border spray of a planting?

were they stained before you got there? did any staining occur after you handled them?

Edited by gerbil

FYI 'Lepista personata' grows in Melbourne. ^^^ Check my post for a pic, that one is still moist and hydrated though, so yours looks a little different.

i dunno andy, maybe. i'm not sure but i don't think Lepista personata generally has the concave cap & the colour on the stipe of L. personata is usually distinctly light purple, while the colour on soundmans shrooms is distinctly bright blue, almost fluorescent.

i'd go with gerbil & say it's likely a dye from a herbicide or such. hmmmmm pretty interesting! soundman, make sure you go back to the place you found them & look for signs that a blue dye may have been used & need i say, don't fuckin eat em!

Yeah I'm not convinced on the blue dye idea. It looks like bruising on the stem to me and the bluing on the cap looks due to oxidization. Weird.

Edited by Shroomeup

I'm no expert, in fact I know very little about identifying fungi, but it kinda looks like this picture I have of an elegant blue cortinar (cortinarius rotundisporus) except that the blue is so bright. could maybe be the camera settings? :P

If Undergrounder and savanna aren't correct, I'll eat my hat.

If Undergrounder and savanna aren't correct, I'll eat my hat.

Is it even possible to eat a hat? If they are wrong you may have to prove it. hahaha