The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Peppers

Gram for gram, the tepin bird peppers will be the hottest. They grow into very nice plants with hundreds of peppers about the size of a pea. I got mine from the Red Wood seed co.

I gave on to a person that loves hot peppers. She didn't notice the burn until it was too late, 15 min later, she showed me a blister on her lip. :o She said the pepper caused the blister.

As I remember, they don't taste very good, it's just piercing heat.

They take FOREVER from seed to fruit, but it's a plant worth growing.

I still have a few of my origional seeds left.

I'm looking into their sweet pepper ,delecta SP?. It's suposed to be a real treat. ddd

I just germanitated about 150 Habanero seeds!

And... I'm about to go plant some Bhut right now!

Hooray for Spring!

Very nice!

I'm germanitating the Bhut peppers next!

Edited by Teotz'

Thick fruits, black seeds, purple flowers, hairy/fuzzy leaves, cool weather loving, strange heat that varies from person to person...

I grow peppers too, have many types of seeds. Don't have any in plant form at the moment.

I have eaten red-savinas right off of the plants and been fine, but half a bite of the gringo killers as the C, pubescens are known made me vomit and raised welts in my mouth. For some people they are the hottest pepper, despite not testing that way as far as standardized tests.

When I remove the seeds and cook with them they are super good! I can't handle them raw.

Yeah really good plants the pubescens, they are also pretty good smoked (have only hot smoked and sun dried, didn't have access to cold smoker)

Can get quite sticky and sweet but can really depend on how you smoke them.

Have found them to be one of the best for my climate, hot dry summers cold wet winters <600mm rainfall, and like you say archaea good in the cool weather, from memory i had them cropping well into winter.

I ordered some Capsicum pubescens seeds. I can't wait to grow these guys!

What do you think makes their flavor differ (and still very hot) but not register as high on the Scoville scale? I was think perhaps it contains different chemical... tho I don't know how the measure Scovilles... so?

What'd y'all think?

I suspect it is the different compliment of capsaicinoids present, every chile specie tends to be unique.

Some people seem more sensitive to certain types, for example jalapeno chiles don't hold the record for the hottest chile but for some people a real jalapeno, not one of the modern hybrid "improved" types, can be one of the hottest peppers. It certainly isn't the richest in capsaicinoids but for some people some types are subjectively speaking more intense.

Its the capsaicinoid profile, capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin are strongly dominant in most peppers so the modern HPLC scoville rating is based only on those two (each of which are 16,000,000 SHU in pure form) but theres about 30 other capsaicinoids, some weaker some stronger and some apparently variable based on the genetics of the taster.

Hey have any of you guys so far managed to breed a chillie that you believe to be superior to what you started with however many generations ago? Teotz, you seem to be pretty keen on breeding for specific traits, have you had any positive results yet? Has anyone else? Even if it has not been stabilized it would still be very satisfying i imagine.

(i hope this makes sense! let me know and i will edit to make it clearer)

I planted about 30 different pepper plants this year including Bhut peppers!