apothecary

MDMA for PTSD

Sandra Kanck MLC

Legislative Council SA

Extract from Hansard

Date:Thursday 19th June 2008

QUESTION IN THE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL

POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: I seek leave to provide an explanation before asking the Minister for Police, representing the Minister for Veterans' Affairs, a question about treatment for veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Leave granted.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) involves the development of characteristic symptoms following exposure to an extreme traumatic stress disorder. The traumatic event could be experienced on active service in a war zone or in a workplace, such as a bank or service station when an armed robbery takes place; it could be a rape; or it could involve being trapped by fire. MAPS—the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies—is a US-based non-profit research and educational organisation which assists scientists to design, fund, obtain approval for and report on studies into the risks and benefits of the therapeutic uses of MDMA, psychedelic drugs and marijuana.

It has had excellent results from trials of MDMA on former serving US and Israeli soldiers suffering from PTSD. Roughly 4 per cent of US soldiers returning from wars in Afghanistan and Iraq suffer PTSD. In turn, they make up 8 per cent of health claims to the Veterans Affairs' section. It is expected that, over the next 50 years, they will cost the US taxpayer $100 billion because one-third of these PTSD sufferers will be unemployable. Dr Ben Sessa of Bristol University's Psychopharmacology Unit told Britain's Sunday Times on 4 May this year that the use of MDMA for severe, unremitting PTSD sufferers could be a lifeline. My questions to the minister are:

1. What numbers of veterans in South Australia are experiencing PTSD?

2. Is he aware of the international scientific research that has investigated the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) as a treatment for PTSD?

3. Does he consider that the supervised therapeutic use of MDMA holds promise as an efficacious treatment for PTSD; and, if so, will the government support clinical trials of pharmaceutical MDMA as a treatment for PTSD?

4. Will he approach the Centre for Military and Veterans' Health at the University of Adelaide to suggest a local trial of MDMA for veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder?

The Hon. P. HOLLOWAY (Minister for Police, Minister for Mineral Resources Development, Minister for Urban Development and Planning) I will pass those questions onto my colleague the Minister for Veterans' Affairs in the other place, although I imagine that most of those statistics would be held by the federal department rather than the state department, but I will —

The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink interjecting:

The Hon. P. HOLLOWAY: Well, exactly, but that is a federal department. Anyway, I will refer those questions to my colleague in another place and bring back a reply.

There's a reason it's called question time and not answer time huh Sina. I'm very excited if it can help these people. It must be a very frustrating condition to experience.

lol not sure what was going on there but i think it sounds good... i think.

I heard recently that there are trials of oxytocin in relationship counselling in the same way MDMA used to be used. Apparently oxytocin is released in the brain with MDMA use, meaning that the hug-inducing qualities of MDMA are at least in part due to oxytocin, not seratonin. Oxytocin is also released during sex, orgasm and specifically in massive amounts during and in the months after birth. It is naturally used to stimulate lactation in mothers and to help in bonding of mothers to their new children. It may also help in anxiety disorders and studies have even shown that under its influence, people are willing to give large amounts of money to strangers... sort of a 'trust' drug. very cool.

I volonteer to xperiment if sum1 wants to send me a vile of oxytocin, or even oxycontin. Either way, i'd be happy :P

I'm sure Oxytocin has all sorts of interesting applications :wink:

Nice work by the MLC though. I would love to see this bought up at a federal level. Anyone have the Minister for Veterans Affairs (or whoevers) contact details?

I volonteer to xperiment if sum1 wants to send me a vile of oxytocin, or even oxycontin. Either way, i'd be happy :P

You can apparently buy the stuff - diluted of course from this cheesy lump of shite website, but as oxytocin doesn't make it through the gut, you'd need to snort it or spray the stuff straight up your nose..

and yeah that's oxytocin, not oxycontin :( .. but im sure if you really wanted to you could snort that up your nose too!

They do a lot of trials on oxytocin around the place, used as a nasal spray it is said to enhance trust, malfunction of the oxytocin receptor genes and oxytocin producing genes has been implicated in autism resulting in their difficulty bonding and trusting. It is a really interesting chemical which is evidently important in the formation of bonds between people.

Peace,

Mind

Here's hoping it gets the go ahead and is a success. Is it me or does SA seem like a bit of a progressive state? I remember reading a few bits and pieces about the sa government and thinking they had some good ideas. I dunno, probably just me.

cheers

yes those results with oxytocin were recent and basically equated it's action to "trust". the impression one got was that if you were dosed you would go along with any thinly-veiled con job, and being burnt once wouldn't stop you from burning yourself again and again.

potential for abuse (of the subject, not the drug)

Good thing it's not orally active - otherwise people would be spiking drinks with it.

It can also turn otherwise randy, polygamous Prairie Voles (a kind of rat) into trusting, monogamous partners..

scary shit.. dangerous in the hands of females

It can also turn otherwise randy, polygamous Prairie Voles (a kind of rat) into trusting, monogamous partners..

scary shit.. dangerous in the hands of females

haha! i'd actually forgotten that one. trust = monogamy, apparently.