The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2b

Wheelchair drink-driver 'six times over limit'

Wheelchair drink-driver 'six times over limit'

A man has been charged with drink driving after police found him slumped in his motorised wheelchair near a major highway in Cairns in far north Queensland.

Police allege the man's wheelchair had come to a stop in an exit lane, forcing motorists to drive around him.

After they roused the 64-year-old man, he recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.301 - more than six times the legal limit.

Inspector Bob Waters says motorised wheelchairs are classed as vehicles.

"The vehicles that we normally hear about with drink driving are the family car, the truck, the motorbike," he said.

"But there are also other classes of vehicles that are subject to drink-driving laws."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06...?section=justin

bein blind as all fuck by the sounds of it!

i bet he's gonna be pretty shafted now without a means of physical transport

that's a good point. being banned from the automobiles is one thing but do they revoke your right to ride a pushbike, skateboard etc?

Hmmm good point, don't think they could enforce it too well, hard enough to enforce banned licences.

Do you need to hold a licence to use one of those scooters? I guess not but interesting point.

Peace,

Mind

Hmmm good point, don't think they could enforce it too well, hard enough to enforce banned licences.

Do you need to hold a licence to use one of those scooters? I guess not but interesting point.

Peace,

Mind

my mate got a warning for riding a horse drunk, well it wa sthrough the nightclub stretch. good times!

I've been run over by an old lady on one of those motorised carts. I was standing in line waiting to buy some juice and she was talking to her huband just next to me.

She must not have realised she had the steering thing turned and she went to take off, thee bloody thing did a neat 360 and sent me flying in the process.

Funniest thing about it is she leant down and waved her finger at me and told me I should watch where I'm going. Silly old bat :scratchhead:

so she mows you down, then blames you for it. old people get away with some shit alright.

Since moving to the center of the Gold Coast I have been regularly amazed at how often I see old people driving electric wheelchairs and those funny scooters around on the road.

They just cruize along at 5kph as iff totaly oblivious to all the traffic swerving around them. fckng classic.

Hope Island is similar, they have estates and so on around there where your allowed to drive around in golf carts, they even have parking for them at the shopping centers, so will regularly see people driving around in them.