The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

'false' peyote/chacruna etc ?

been thinking about this a bit......

what word[spanish?] is being used for false?

have checked lists and find no reference apart from the use of the english word false.

there are shades of meaning in a word.......maybe meaning 'not prefered'[etc] rather than false.

spanish dictionary gives impropio and falso as translations of false but i dont see these words anywhere?

t s t .

Good thinking t s t!

Edited by Teotz'

it seems to me that in south america, instead of using the term false, they either give the plant close to the original, a female sex or the ending ita (or illo, illa?, forgive me my spanish is not very good), thus makeing it small.

in other terms the real mc coy, gets a little brother, or sister.

this is far more appropiate to me as it suggest the little sister has similar properties, but not as developed or powerfull.

edit:

another thing they do is to give it place names or associate the plant with professions or tribes. meaning for example coca stands just for the properties, and a total unrelated plant which gets used by other tribes for a similar purpose, becomes coca del suri.

Edited by planthelper

Thus Leonurus sibiricus is known as Marihuanilla (little marijuana)

Applying the Spanish logic I came up with peyotillo which it turns out is actually a common name for a false peyote.

From http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=72&z=5

Pelecyphora aselliformis - Peyotillo

P. aselliformis is a well known medicinal peyote sold in the markets of San Luís Potosí, Mexico, and is used as a remedy for fevers and rheumatic pains. Extracts have also been shown to have antibiotic activity.

It was first described as a peyote by Britton & Rose who state that "it is said by the Mexicans to possess medicinal properties." Schultes, citing Britton & Rose, regards P.aselliformis as a plant "said to be either narcotic or medicinal." William Emboden, the author of Narcotic Plants, is the only one who has claims to have witnessed the efficacy of this plant as a "psychomimetic," a plant that mimics psychosis. Unfortunately Emboden fails to describe any particulars of the intoxication. Anderson regards it as "unclear if it was ever used ceremonially."

Mescaline levels are minimal, and it can be assumed other alkaloids, or non-alkaloidal properties, account for the plant's reputed psychoactivity.

Once rare in cultivation this very slow growing species can often be found grafted. P.strobiliformis (=Encephalocarpus strobiliformis) has also been informally mentioned as being a medicinal peyote species. Local names include: "Peote," "peyotillo," "peotillo," "peyote meco," "piote," "hatchet cactus."

ALKALOIDS CONTAINED:

Mescaline (less than .00002% - dry weight)

N-Methylmescaline

N,N-dimethyl-3-hydroxy-4,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine

N-Methyl-3,4-dimethoxyphenethylamine

3,4-Dimethoxyphenethylamine

Pellotine

Anhalidine

Hordenine

Tyramine

N-Methyltyramine

Quinic acid

false, Similar, not good enough, wild:

BORDE, CIMARRON, SALVAJE,.... etc

Good thread y'all!

Pelecyphora aselliformis ~ "Peyotillo" is at the top of my list for bioassy.

I've already got seeds germanitating and plan on obtaining a few mature plants from a friend very soon.