The Corroboree
nabraxas

popping corn w/cell phones

Uuuuh.. The 'mystery' was solved a long time ago, bet you all feel pretty stupid now eh? Well you should! You should feel very stupid indeed!! Next time read peoples FKN posts in future and don't be so damn rude!

Excuse me?

Are you referring to the video you posted where they pretend the phones set the table on fire?

Wait, I thought it was a grill, instead of a table, it is me who looks like the idiot now! back in my hole then :)

No wait, Just watched it again and there is a blue flame that can be seen from under the table cloth which causes it to burn in a linear fashion with the lines in the table with no relation to the popcorn, this means there is obviously a heat source under the table!

Watch it again, it might not be a metal grill but there is definitely heat under it!

Edited by baphomet

FFS, someone just freakin try it, its the first thing i wanted to do when i saw it but I dont have any bloody popcorn.

Go to the supermarket... freakin´cheapskate! :P

No wait, Just watched it again and there is a blue flame that can be seen from under the table cloth which causes it to burn in a linear fashion with the lines in the table with no relation to the popcorn, this means there is obviously a heat source under the table!

Watch it again, it might not be a metal grill but there is definitely heat under it!

Hmm... is this another one of your wacky conspiracy theories?

induction heating and a dry table, induction heating can do some pretty inpressive things and there are plenty of DIY designs online. the pad induction heaters would be the way its done if induction is the answer. heats metal and boils water incredably fast, have not seen it burn wood tho, but when one considers how it works it would only affect wood if it was damp, in theory....

that vid where the table burns is somones lame attempt to re-create the trick with a blow torch.

if not induction heating then id be inclined to think its one of teslars toys, or related to the hutchinson effect and his toys...

tho i lean towards induction heating, with a mat obviously, not the coil. maybe with a parabolic mirror :D

Edited by Amulte

the more i think about it induction heating is a long shot. could even be using teslars plasma emiter to pop the corn.

Hmm... is this another one of your wacky conspiracy theories?

It is my only wacky conspiracy theory! :P

the more i think about it induction heating is a long shot. could even be using teslars plasma emiter to pop the corn.

These things always turn out to be far simpler than the viewer expects. I bet there is some really simple way it can be done with household items that none of us have thought of.

I thought about a hairdryer, but I think that you would have to modify it as they don't get that hot. Also, it would only work from underneath, as it would have to be quite a distance away to not be seen if it was on top, and then it would have to be incredibly hot. Then the sound would have to be edited out.

Does all em radiation pop popcorn, perhaps even the em field from a current through a conductor coil would do it if so?

Peace,

Mind

Does all em radiation pop popcorn, perhaps even the em field from a current through a conductor coil would do it if so?

Peace,

Mind

Probably not, the microwave frequency range is specifically chosen because it causes water to heat up.

Haha sweet I was right :lol:

I think it is hilarious just how many people actually considered it possible for the phones to do that. I mean, just because you don't know how something is done doesn't mean you have to completely ignore common sense. That would be like believing in an allpowerful being just because there are a few things we don't know how they work yet. Oh wait...... :o

Cardo systems make bluetooth devices which operate in the 2.4GHz frequency range. Guess what range microwave ovens operate in? And the maximum permitted power for a bluetooth device is only 100mW. Wouldn't be hard for the company to make a few little modifications. The power of the EM radiation would dissipate exponentially away from the source (unless its focussed somehow), so it's possible that it could be safe. Surely the acting was a big enough give away though :P

They tried to cook an egg on brainiac using 100 phones, not exactly the most scientific source but they proved it didn't work.

Maybe if the mobile had a transmitting tower attatched you might get somewhere, but I still doubt that, more likely to give the egg/popcorn leukemia. :rolleyes:

those shows never prove that something is impossible, IMO. not exhaustive or logical enough in their approach.

sometimes they prove that something is possible.