The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
parzival

Iboga

I have an Iboga seed sitting in a moist mixutre of organic potting mix and river sand. It's kept warm by a small sack of grain (a heat pack) that it sits on. I've never dealt with iboga before, am i missing anything?

Good to be back...

will the sack of grain keep the soil at 30degC?

25 is the minimum. 30 is better.

make sure to measure soil temp, not air temp as there is about 5-7degC difference.

Wow, 30 degrees, how would one go about keeping their soil that hot? THat seems quite hot anyway.

Peace,

Mind

Wow, 30 degrees, how would one go about keeping their soil that hot? THat seems quite hot anyway.

Peace,

Mind

Electric heat mat

the ambient temp in the Gabon rainforest is between 35 and 40degC and with extremely high humidity. This is what the plants like. Because the humidity is so high, there is little evaporative cooling, so the surface soil is about the same temeprature as the air around it.

The seeds germinate OK in Cairns where it is 28-32 degC most of the time, but given the fact that they sometimes take several months to germinate there, I would think that higher temps are probably even better.

Hmmm heat mat sounds like a good idea.

Is controlled humidity necessary/recommended at all?

Peace,

Mind

yep, I have made use of a HPS light as well as the transformer section of a fluorescent tube fitting [for smaller containers]. But I would definitely recommend a heat mat inside a fishtank with a lid.

Fair anough, think there is a place on top of our boiler that would be warm enough, would need to measure temp though. What about after germ? Once they are a bit bigger can they grow happily in slightly cooler temps, and I'm guessing even bigger plants wouldnt like winters/autumns outdoors? Is that true to say?

Peace (and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is probably all relevant anyway)

Mind

when the first TRUE leaves pop out they can happily grow at around 25degC. Any sooner than this and they will be weak.

they can survive the brisbane winters outside, but sydney is pushing it too far.

as an instant heat device and without having to buy something, bottom heat can be achived as followes. you can place the sealed germination chamber over a lamp stand, by suspending the chamber (youghurt tub, or cut in halve, and re fitted, pet bottle) with some wire over the light bulb. make sure it's not too close to melt the thing.

i have struck iboga cuttings, just with the heat coming off some fluros, in an enclosed space.

i say this because heat mats are expensive and often i heard they broke down.

spending lot's of dollares for just germing a few seeds is wastefull, unless you do it on a proffessional level.

Edited by planthelper

Cheers, do they need a lot of light while germing?

I know some plants can germ in fairly low light...but is this one of them?

Peace,

Mind

most plants don't need any light to germinate, and i'm pretty certain iboga is one of them,

only weeds, and grasses need light to germinate, and those seeds have to be sown onto the surface anyway...

the heat comming off from grow lights, is a very good and hot source of heat, but be carefull, the more heat, the faster the medium will dry out, so check on it very often, specialy in the beginning. even if you use an enclosed space (minni glasshouse so to speak), the soil can dry out fast (if there are some even tiny gaps) and once seeds that have been in the process of germing, dry too much out they will die.

the good thing with using your grow light (fluro or bigger) could aswell be that, at night time (or at daytime, if you have reversed the light cycle, which is a good idea, light over night, dark over the day,keeps temps more average) the temperatur will drop a bit but not too much. many seedlings benefit from day nightime teperature flactuations, whilst some seeds get "burned out syndrome" from constant heat for long periodes.

normal filament globes use most of tehre energy as heat which is about 90% heat 10% light which is pretty effecint for heat sake at 40c a globe

most plants don't need any light to germinate, and i'm pretty certain iboga is one of them,

only weeds, and grasses need light to germinate, and those seeds have to be sown onto the surface anyway...

the heat comming off from grow lights, is a very good and hot source of heat, but be carefull, the more heat, the faster the medium will dry out, so check on it very often, specialy in the beginning. even if you use an enclosed space (minni glasshouse so to speak), the soil can dry out fast (if there are some even tiny gaps) and once seeds that have been in the process of germing, dry too much out they will die.

the good thing with using your grow light (fluro or bigger) could aswell be that, at night time (or at daytime, if you have reversed the light cycle, which is a good idea, light over night, dark over the day,keeps temps more average) the temperatur will drop a bit but not too much. many seedlings benefit from day nightime teperature flactuations, whilst some seeds get "burned out syndrome" from constant heat for long periodes.

i have tried making iboga cuttings but have failed twice. both times rot set in.... also both times some sort of fungus set in......

second time i worked super sterile....

used sterilized CSS - temp approx 32C - 2 node cuttings.............. leaves clipped ...... all like discribed in the SAB instructions............ all i can think of is to work more sterile and light levels...... i think i might have had them a little too dark.

what could woof woof woof have done wrong?

how old were the parts used for the cutting?

if they are too old or too young, it's no good.

anyway, i would recommand to you to prune your plants and than use the new shoots which will emerge as cuttings.

all the material you prunned off can be tried as cutting material aswell, but those new shoots we are aiming to use will make a big difference. cut them off at the point wher they emerged from the old wood. this process is called rejuvination, maybe you find more about this if you google.

i would aswell experiment with "etitiolation" as means of aiding to strike your cuttings, meaning don't give the cuttings enormous light levels, but just a bit of light!!! this works magic with some plants, maybe try it out with halve of your cuttings and observe your results...

good luck.

dear plant helper.......... you really know how to make a dogs day! i'll try out what you have said. thx again...

and uhhh the other dude..... no iboga seeds do not require scarification......... they do however require to be helped out of the seed shell, especially when the air is too dry. seed husks should then be kept wet to humid........ there are some good instructions on SAB if you need info on germinating Iboga seeds.

i don't know what the sab tek say's, but soak the cuttings in a mixture of water and a little bit of bleach for a while, than use a soft paintbrush and clean (wipe) with it the whole cutting which has been trimmed to proper size already.

than rinse with cold water which had been boiled before, use aswell only sterile water for watering.

now about the cutting material, my theory goes that some parts of plants just naturaly posess the abielety to form roots at a much higher level. we know that this hormons are found naturaly close (below) a node. now if you observe closly a new shoot which emerges from old wood, you would see that the base is quite wide and consits maybe of several minute internodes, and looking towards the tip of the new shoot, the internodes get longer...

in a nutshell, i say take cuttings which as closest as possible resemble a seedling or better to say juvenile plant.

another thing you might can try although i have never done this with iboga is to place the plant after a bit of prunning sideways (horizontal), this would (should) suddenly induce a lot of sideshoots emerging from the main branches/ trunks.

but although you might not want to try this, this example will further explain what i mean by use new emerging shoots.

every plant displays different growth characteristics, according to juvenile groth, mature, or say flowering stage.

juvenile for example will never include branch inducing growth.

anyway to keep it simple look for juvenile growth for those cuttings!

and yes, in case of sombody saying, i struck a branched section of old iboga growth, it is possible, but it's not what a professional would do.

once you started taking again and again cuttings from the same mother, the regrowth at times get's much easier to strike, obviously as a result of rejuvination.

Edited by planthelper

Down here in North Central VIC Iboga propagation is potentially problematical... :excl: Torsten, I'd love to rent a small patch of the ground u have up there... lol! T'would give me an excuse to head North every so often.. :blush:

A crazy [b]Dream-friend[/b] of mine tried raising Iboga from seed once down here. Unsuccessful. Heat mat would've been an appropriate apparatus. :BANGHEAD2:

The frosts down here make things difficult. It's 7.5degreesC outside @ momento.

Psychotria Carth. grows quite well in Dream-amigo's lil hot house. Banisteriopsis snakes her way up the inner frame, coiling like a lithe liana in pursuit of the beyond..

P. Viridis finds the cold baneful.

(Purrrhaps surprisingly) Brugmansia Sanguinea Thrives down here. Cares little for frost. Tolerates Winter with Ease. She drinks water obsessively. but the trumpets are magnificent! An exotic exquisite herald of beauty.

To All & Sundry: ... How do u think Tab. Iboga will go if He is kept indoors in a VERY well lit area over winter, then out to the hot house in the warmer months??

p.s. Thankyou in advance 4advice bequeethed.

Woe betide the tragically ignorant & greed-ridden powers who block the path of this magnificent gift growing here on thiis marvelous planet. IbogaMan knows the truth. HE knows YOU better than yourself. HE has guided thousands of Addicts, Natives, Seekers & the Sick to the Deep underlying Truth of their situation & the ensuing release. HE has fortified the Spirits of countless travelers and seers. Gifts of insight, wisdom and Truth. These things are priceless peoples

The powers that be stifled the Scientific Iboga movement as soon as it was discovered addicts were walking away from lifelong addictions in the space of 36 hours. Addicts on Methadone make big dollars for Conglomerates worldwide. People are 'worth more' to Global structures an vested groups if they are sick. This is a reality. Castaneda said it was predatory universe. The successful business mold is "fuck you and your world, we do whatever is necessary to make Dollars." :slap:

It is Insane that we have this increddible gift of transformation right here, yet vested interests .. i.e Drug Companies & Governments see it as 'detrimental' to their natural philosophy (Making MONEY!)

When Talking with IbogaMan, You cannot run and hide from yourself. The Truth is made aware to you in every fiber.... What are you spending your life trying to avoid?/ What are you running from?.?

The keys to the Self. Would you throw them away? Are you too afraid?

What Luxury that must be...

The Mind that is before thinking, perceives the essence of True Reality.

It is the One thing.

I've been hoodwinked!

U R Already There!

Tlaloc

The powers that be stifled the Scientific Iboga movement as soon as it was discovered addicts were walking away from lifelong addictions in the space of 36 hours. Addicts on Methadone make big dollars for Conglomerates worldwide. People are 'worth more' to Global structures an vested groups if they are sick. This is a reality. Castaneda said it was predatory universe. The successful business mold is "fuck you and your world, we do whatever is necessary to make Dollars."

It is Insane that we have this increddible gift of transformation right here, yet vested interests .. i.e Drug Companies & Governments see it as 'detrimental' to their natural philosophy (Making MONEY!)

yeh,...moneymaking is prolly one of the causes...... also prolly that the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

what we give is what we get........... was castaneda a predatory kind of man? what would jesus have to say about that 'predatory' statement?

what we give is what we get........... was castaneda a predatory kind of man? what would jesus have to say about that 'predatory' statement?

----------------------------------------------------

Carlos was a Coyote and a trickster. A brilliant man who researched and amalgamated ideas from across the spectrum creating his own myth. The guy was a genius. He fucked a lot of women, told alot of lies and made a hellova lot of "Claude Monet'." He also inspired a generation to look beyond the confines of the conformist mold.

Perhaps Jesus is a Prime example of 'a predatory universe' statement.

He was murdered dude on a wooden pole. The Jewish authorities resented his ideas. And cut his life short.

Nothing Exists in this world without the death of something to sustain it's existence. Whether that be organic, or inorganic - Thoughts... perception even. It is a multi-faceted idea.

An organism must consume in order to survive. This is the pretext to all life. Right now as you sit infront of ur puter, countless billions of bloodcells and organisms are being created/nourished and destroyed inside of you. Foreign Bacteria are being slaughtered en masse, and your friendly bacteria a copping a beating constantly also. Everything must Fight to Survive. That is the law of existence. Survival.

If we have no predation, what would push us to our boundaries?. What would make us strive and develop strength in the face of utterly intangible odds. It is a war without end. An endless battle... but what an elegant battle!

This One moment.

The single Sound that Governs Infinity..

Shared by all,

known by all.

In the predatory Universe, for something to survive and prosper. something else must die & give it's energy to sustain it.

It is a MASSIVE Cycle.

That's predation in its very simplest terms.

Happy Unconscious Genocide ;)

post-151-1216321793.gif

post-151-1216321793.gif

post-151-1216321793.gif