The Corroboree
Kenny Blister

Brugmansia Beauties

I got a bunch of unspectacular whites,next year the culebra will hopefully do something other than nurse spider mites.

here a pic of my sanquinea, it's her first time she flowers and the trumpets allmost touch the pot! wub.gif

Congratulations planthelper, this sanguinea is really a unique brug..!! :)

Here's one brug of mine now

dscn3487mt9.th.jpg

Edited by mutant

Yeah its one of those species that raises the heart beat if one starts to contemplate ingesting or smoking. I think it's much better off staying in the ground and performing it's magic without us ever having to ingest or smoke..that just seems trashy to me.

give this species respect ... a lot of respect.

Perhaps it has it's use in the cure of schizophrenia..just my observation..

I know a guy on the coast here who went blind for 3 weeks from ingesting the tea of this plant.

Peace.

Hunab.

nice brug & hbwr, mutant, i love your pic because it allowes us to have a glimps at your home, i'm allways very curious to what i might see in all the gardens i walk by....

good words of caution, hunab!!

Edited by planthelper

Thanks - this is the roof of my house actually. I have the same passion with gardens and I get excited when I come across some nice collection with not so common plants... I like the idea of cultivating unusual plants just in the name of diversity.

I wish I could take a photo of my big argyreia to show off, heh :P , it begins in the ground and is now climbing on the newly-made pergola on the roof, no photo can show it's whole way up ...

and on a note on brug psychoactivity, I can confirm that the aroma of the flowers after noon is certainly affecting in some mysteious way if you sit near it .... very mild, slightly stimulating... might bring headache to some if your expose to the aroma for long...

dscn3525ul6.th.jpg

These are 3 brugs blooming together . They the same 3 species that I have put up for ID in here in the past.

yellow insignis, white arborea, pink ??? they have 3 differnt smells, and I think insignis has the most powerful ones. Arborea is more lemon like, the pink one is more sweet.

Edited by mutant

white is not arborea........i would have thought sauveolens but that means sweet so it must be some sauveolens hybrid.......inflated calyx,the exposed neck of the corolla.

t s t .

It's such a beautiful looking plant. I ingested a tea of the flowers once and it was a very strange and confusing experience. I think it must have some sort of use. Does smoking the flower actually have an effect?

Yes. Although not as much as a tea, smoking will produce strong effects.

Atropine and Scopolamine are the alkaloids present in the plant responsible for the effect you experienced.

Do your homework before playing with these alkaloids.

I've heard that small amounts of Brugs are traditionally smoked for asthma issues. Does anyone here know about this preparation? Which species might be preferred? Or have experience in this regard?

Beautiful plants btw.

Edited by cycle

Anticholinergics may limit parasympathetic activity and as such you are basically put into a fight or flight response (in a way), so small amounts may open your airways as well as being vasodilators, increasing heart rate and stroke volume, dilating pupils etc etc.

That is my impression anyway, don't take my word for it, do your research on anti-cholinergics.

Peace

Here is some Pictures I have taken to show the different stages of Flowering growth of a Brugmansia Sanguinea Belonging to a gnome that lives with me!

This pic was taken at night,

The Flowers are still mostly unformed or very Immature & still in the Green stage!

post-16-1227759300_thumb.jpg

Another Pic taken after dark, This was taken about 2 weeks after the 1st pic!

More flowers have formed, Some still in the green stage, Some advanced enough to display a small amount of colour around the opening of the trumpets.

post-16-1227759238_thumb.jpg

I am going to go out & take some new pics of this Tree in a few minutes,

So Stay Tuned! I shall have them up in this thread within an hour or 2!

post-16-1227759300_thumb.jpg

post-16-1227759238_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Could someone tell me how long it takes for a brug to flower?

Say if I planted it from seed today, or maybe got a small pot plant?

Also is it worth checking out some nurseries for brugs (in qld) or are they classified as weeds so nurseries don't stock?

Takes about seven months in England,some take their time and barely get there before the low temperatures of autumn sap the colour and shrink the size of the flowers.

Sanguinea took two years before offering a single bloom.

If you can buy a plant cultivated from the flowering region then do so,breeders put a lot of effort into it.

It is said that those who grow their own from seed will be mostly dissapointed,i can believe it.

I live in a subtropic region. So if I were to plant a seed or get a small potplant, it's prob not going to be flowering until next spring? (i'm in Australi)

My favourite brugs are Sanguineas, but don't want to be waiting 2 years, and just trying to recall what I've read, I don't think they like hot humid climates, so I'm going to have to settle for a less pretty variety.

Edited by blog

I had a Salmon Peach that really loved the heat,lots of versicolour in there so they would dangle and also the flower walls were really substantial so they would last a long time.

It didn't make it through the winter in a frost free greenhouse.

The uglier Suaveolens hybrids just about make it and the Sanguinea copes quite well.

I may look again for an Aurea/Versicolor hybrid,the best in my opinion.

Kenny Blister, nice to see your carrying a few of my old hybrids and creating some new ones at the same time.

If only the flowers were edible,what a fine salad vegetable they would make.

I may take a brugmansia sabbatical for a year and concentrate on the Taxaceae and relatives.

Or maybe at least try my hand at the Sanguinea types,like Harlem or the Bronx in some dirty Harry film there will be few whites.

I feel lucky.

i got a vision of a pure white sanguinea i'm working on.........i know whites can be boring or even frustrating if your trying to breed for something else but this idea just appeals to me.

the pureness of some flower whites impresses me for some reason i dont get yet..........

t s t .

Wow kada pretty cool to live around those. I fell in love with these plants while riding a horse down from a mountain in Huancabamba, just some stunning colours in the botanical richness of a sub-tropical montane forest. In my state I wasn't jumping off to gather seeds tho! Some pretty nice specimens common in town parks too,

Lucky enough I know of a pretty stunning yard somewhere in adelaide B)

Takes a while to get the growing of these beauties down hey, think I'm just getting the hang of it.

Which is good cause i picked up a 2-foot sanguinea for 32.50 yesterday (Christmas present to myself!) already with flower buds.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Kada, is it my impression, or you got some vines [argyreia??] climbing up those brugs [first photos] ???

And yeah, I want a sanguinea myself too!!!

Edited by mutant

some kinds of wild morning glory, not sure what. there are many invasive species here :( no hbwr though in these pics, i wish.