The Corroboree
Kenny Blister

Brugmansia Beauties

I have 3 brugmansia plants sitting around the house. They were in the garden when we moved in and haven't been tended to since. I once made a tea out of a couple of large leaves. There wasn't much effect while I was awake, though my throat and tonsils got so dehydrated they hurt like hell the next day. The most pronounced effect was when I was asleep. I'd be having a dream in which I would be talking to someone, then wake up mid-sentence and find myself talking to people who weren't there. Aside from the dehydrated tonsils (it hurt to drink fizzy things), there were no noticable after effects.

Smoking leaves also seemed much more effective than smoking a flower, though I'd prefer to know more about what I'm doing if I were to repeat the experience.

I dont think i've even seen someone here post pics of B.sanguinea?? why is this?

Smoking leaves also seemed much more effective than smoking a flower, though I'd prefer to know more about what I'm doing if I were to repeat the experience.

JDanger, I would highly recommend brousing through previous threads on the topic of brugmansia intoxication. It is a fascinating group of plants but one that cannot be abused as you could easily wind up in hospital if you were to ingest too much at once. Be careful when consuming any entheogenic plant material, especially those containing tropane alkaloids. Just some friendly advice :)

Edit: Alice - I haven't seen you around here in ages!

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

I dont think i've even seen someone here post pics of B.sanguinea?? why is this?

ups, lost my post, well here we go again...

sanquinea is not so suited to the tropical parts of australia.

first, she flowers over winter, when the photoperiode is short, in contrast to all other brugs.

second she's sensitive to too much rain, and thirdly she hates the hot australien summers.

summing it up, thats why you don't see too much of her in oz.

sanquinea was my second ethno plant i fell in love with after cannabis, i used to call her rasta fari engels trumpet (red, yellow, green) and grew her from seeds collected in the mountains which are her home.

In four years on 6 plants i had one flower.

what time of the year did she flower?

when i grew this one in europe, the same happens as mentioned above.

in short she wants to flower when most people overwinter there (other) brugs.

in other words sanquinea is kept like the other brugs and as such starves over winter, and than when pampered up and full of leaves like the other brugs, she will not flower because it's already summer, and she needs short daylengh to flower.

so keep your sanquinea pampered all over winter and she will flower all over winter!!

In the second year,i'm guessing early september.

I have seen a bush midwinter with flowers,it was in an spacious unheated building adjacent to the shopping complex in Milton Keynes.

Stood about 12 ft tall and had a fair number.

JDanger, I would highly recommend brousing through previous threads on the topic of brugmansia intoxication. It is a fascinating group of plants but one that cannot be abused as you could easily wind up in hospital if you were to ingest too much at once. Be careful when consuming any entheogenic plant material, especially those containing tropane alkaloids. Just some friendly advice :)

High school experimentation, my friend. I take things more seriously now, but your concern is appreciated. :)

Peace,

brugs need lots of nutrients....use twice what you would use for most plants.

if youre not fertilizing ,then thats yr answer.

try potassium sulphate as an extra fert.

do not move your pots!......one of my friends had beautiful brugs with no flowers,she rotated them regularly to get even growth.....i learnt from experience that if u move a brug u have to keep the same directional orientation or the plant will abort the current flowering cycle!

t s t .

ups, lost my post, well here we go again...

sanquinea is not so suited to the tropical parts of australia.

first, she flowers over winter, when the photoperiode is short, in contrast to all other brugs.

second she's sensitive to too much rain, and thirdly she hates the hot australien summers.

summing it up, thats why you don't see too much of her in oz.

sanquinea was my second ethno plant i fell in love with after cannabis, i used to call her rasta fari engels trumpet (red, yellow, green) and grew her from seeds collected in the mountains which are her home.

my sanguina's are doing fine... hence why i was surprised to see no-one else posting pictures. Only had them for about 6 months. From cutting and from seed. And its been raining a shitload here. Yet to flower, 6 months old so still small (50cm), but thriving.

Edit: Hey Ace, life's been keeping me busy :) so not alot of time to post lately. Hope you're surviving the chilly weather down there!

Edited by Alice

I will see if I can get some brug Pics up for you tomorrow Alice :)

Weather permitting I will also take a walk & try 2 get some pics

of brugs in private gardens around here! I can think of about 3 or 4.

Some of them are absolutly stunning specimens!

hi, alice!

i'm sure that your brug enjoys the shitloads of rain, as she is like all brugs a thiersty customer and hates to be dry, but whilst all other brugs can hardly be killed by overwatering or soggy, low drainage conditions, sanquinea can.

in a nutshell, brugs are tough as boots, but sanquinea is a bit more sensitive!

and as t st says brugs are very hungry beasts, but like all plants use less fert once they reach flowering stage, and use less nitrogen, but more potash...

Here is a pic of a 30 yr old beauty that belongs to a friend of mine and a close ups.

post-2028-1215104868_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1215104921_thumb.jpg

(these pics are from last year.)

enjoy.

cheers, Obtuse.

awesome, thx for sharing this beauty with us! :wub:

but tasmania suits this particular plant much better than tropical australia.

maybe the tablelands would suit her aswell, anyway, imagen the tablelands but 1000 to 1500m high and you end up with the climat of her origin, the eternal spring climat of parts of the andes, never too cold, never too hot, lot's of rain, but never too much monsoon rain, and growing on mountain slopes (good drainage).

It is a nice colour,treelets that size are sadly impractical for my modest greenhouse.

Anne Kirchner-Abel of Germeny sent me e-mail today,the Culebra i have been hankering for is ready but the Roter Vulkan has a problem with the hot weather.

She offered "Fire" instead and i agreed.

Something like this?

http://www.engelstrompete.de/shop/engelstr...stik_fire_d.jpg

2 months left of active growth and counting.

Thanks everyone. I'll add pics when/if mine ever flower.

Superb pictures Obtuse!

Garbage: wicked colour, what a beauty!

Thanks again everyone, great to see something a little out of the ordinary.

I visited several grden centres over the last few days and could find no Sanguinea but today i struck lucky.

Small plants with picture tags of a all yellow,an all red and a normal presented me with a world of choice.

I selected one with an all red flower on the tag,whilst some had large calyx mine has tiny ones as i felt that maybe the smaller ones would not drop after i changed it's growing conditions.

A buddy for the "Fire" if and when it arrives.

The peppers in the windowsill are not setting fruit wheras the greenhouse specimen is,this is todays dissapointment for me.

Woohoo,Culebra and "Fire" arrived today with a frei Abutilon to boot,i owe 6 Euro however.

This Culebra is a beauty,quite different to the usual forms.

Well, my sanguina has just flowered! :drool2: I'll post a pic if i can find my camera cable. It's very sexy... :wub:

And the plant is so small.... just a little taller than the length of the flower. Wouldn't have thought it would flower at that size. Oh well, there you go!

The first never before seen flower of my four hybrids is making it's way down the calyx,pictures when it emerges.

very nice, alice they look super healthy, thx for sharing with us! :wub::drool2::P

Is it a Flava?

Hmm, not sure... I'd never heard of Flava before you mentioned it (I've only recently been taking more of an interest in solanaceous plants). A very quick google came up with Flava = yellow?

Brugmansia X flava (flava = yellow) is a cross between B. sanguinea and B. arborea. B X Flava has characteristics of both arborea and sanguinea.

from www.brugmansia.us/wildforms7.shtml

So i think its just a plain old sanguinea? Anyone? I got her from a tassie ebayer, grannysmith04.

I have just recently received a small cutting labelled B. sanguinea yellow (or was it pink? I'm at work so have to check that one later, pretty sure it was all yellow though) but that one's a while away from flowering. Is that considered to be a Flava? Even the name sounds delicious ... :drool2:

Edited by Alice