The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

'Sell dope in post offices'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sell-d...9839539291.html

Cannabis would be sold legally in post offices, in packets that warn against its effects, under a proposal outlined by the head of one of Sydney's major drug and alcohol clinics.

The director of the alcohol and drug service at St Vincent's Hospital, Alex Wodak, said Australia needed to learn from the tobacco industry and the US Prohibition era in coming to terms with his belief that cannabis would replace cigarettes in consumption levels over the next decade.

"The general principal is that it's not sustainable that we continue to give criminals and corrupt police a monopoly to sell a drug that is soon going to be consumed by more people than tobacco," he said.

"I don't want to see that [industry] fall into the hands of tobacco companies or rapacious businessmen. I'd like to see it fall into the hands of the failed businesspeople Australia seems so good at producing or the Australia Post that seems so successful in driving away customers."

Dr Wodak made the proposal for taxed and legalised cannabis at the Mardi Grass festival in Nimbin yesterday, but said he would be happy to express his opinion to the Federal Government.

"In general terms, among senior doctors, professors, deans, college presidents, I can tell you, from having done a straw poll, there's very strong support for ending the distribution of cannabis by a monopoly of criminals and corrupt police," he said.

"[but] among rank and file doctors, they probably have opinions that represent the opinions of the general community."

Dr Wodak believed his proposal could reduce cannabis consumption, based on comparisons between consumption in Amsterdam and San Francisco.

He chose Australia Post for distribution as it could be regulated and had branches spread across the country.

"What I'm talking about is not pro-cannabis, but it's not anti-cannabis," he said. "It's about reducing cannabis harm and one of those harms is police corruption."

i sometimes wonder if that monopoly is why it stays illegal.

I heard that Wodak guy on radio this afternoon, he seemed like a really smart guy and he handled himself really well. It's a pity he talked about corrupt police though, the radio people focused in on that which was a bit distracting. I mean even the police commissioner admitted that corruption did exist, but it shifted the argument away from the other good points he was making about regulation.

Its certainly a step in the right direction though I'd be skeptical if identification details would be taken down upon purchase, which would probably be the case.

It won't take long for this bill to be revoked IF it was approved, it just takes one bad apple to serve as an example for a resumption of total and utter prohibition. This would provide proponents of prohibition ammunition against legalization of anything in the future.

Anyone disagree? Would love to hear alternative viewpoints.

Edited by Avaricial

I'd agree to some extent Avaricial. However, I'm inclined to think that the current prohibition gives at least as much ammunition to prohibitionists, and has at least as much negative effect on our chances of having anything legalised in the future. Put another way, this plan could not make things much worse than they already are. I mean, if we are talking in terms of prohibition, I'd say that other than booze, tobacco and pharmaceuticals we are already experiencing a fair bit of prohibition, even if we aren't quite at 'total' yet.

Of course, as anyone will tell you, just when you think things can't get any worse, they invariably do. If we were experiencing total prohibition then what would SAB be selling? Sweet FA, so it's a fate worth avoiding. But I do think anything that gets people in Australia used to the idea that there are drugs other than the current holy trinity that are (and should be) legal is a good thing.

who cares if they take your name.

they would know that you consume a legal product, so what's the problem? they then raid your house looking for harder stuff? i guess it's possible but i don't really see it happening.

I'd agree to some extent Avaricial. However, I'm inclined to think that the current prohibition gives at least as much ammunition to prohibitionists, and has at least as much negative effect on our chances of having anything legalised in the future.

I don't know about this actually, the current state of affairs today is quite the opposite.

People pushing for a change in at least the legal state of marijuana, medical marijuana gaining ground. This is all happening because people are slowly but surely awakening to the lies that we have been told and are taking a stand. These are part of the fruits of the current state of drug prohibition.

Prohibitionists are going to be singing the same old tune(hurrah we're successful) they've always been singing, there are always going to be people who buy it without question. Even if you don't buy it, chances are that drug use is something we'd hide from our colleagues, lest we lose our jobs etc. Its not something I can be open about, because its not seen by society as acceptable. In this respect, I think we've got a little further to go than simple legalized, controlled sales. Its changing 1 or 2 generations worth of society's mindsets.

Put another way, this plan could not make things much worse than they already are. I mean, if we are talking in terms of prohibition, I'd say that other than booze, tobacco and pharmaceuticals we are already experiencing a fair bit of prohibition, even if we aren't quite at 'total' yet.

Oh when I mentioned prohibition in my post, I was actually referring to what we're currently experiencing right now.

I do think anything that gets people in Australia used to the idea that there are drugs other than the current holy trinity that are (and should be) legal is a good thing.

Amen brother~!

who cares if they take your name.

Some jobs require security clearances, background checks etc.

The right information in the wrong hands can be very disastrous indeed.

[CONSPIRACY]What if it was some elaborate ploy designed to identify certain members of society, before the law is revoked?[/CONSPIRACY]

Its not just a matter of them coming to raid your house, its potentially jeopardizing your future, through no fault of yours.

I'm guess just really cynical when it comes to drugs and the government. I don't think there will be real change until a whole new generation of potheads take over :D

Edited by Avaricial

well we have to give ID for even prescription meds, mull will be no different.

im supposed to be ok get prescriptions for cannabis, but i dun want it, i know for certain in my industry, it's not acceptable, and i'm cool with that.

it will take a long time, i think the best thing to do is get rid of or atleast lower the amount of alcohol consumed, we should have more options, i for one would be at the local post office to get a medical grade mdma pill, for a good nighr as oppose to dealing with drunk meat heads looking for a fight.

the government wants the population to grow, but how can we feel the hugs when halve of the population of vice seekers are in a drunken rage??

if there is anyway to legalize a grade of mdma, the streets in the party areas will be a totaly different site...

didn't tax on alcohol just increase substantially?

i for one would be at the local post office to get a medical grade mdma pill, for a good nighr as oppose to dealing with drunk meat heads looking for a fight.

if there is anyway to legalize a grade of mdma, the streets in the party areas will be a totaly different site...

Now THERE'S a good idea... i don't see a schedule 1 drug getting there any time soon though. It's in the same ballpark of risks/health problems as marijuana if you ask me but simply because it's schedule 1 people think it's more evil than the devil's spunk.

If that gets legalised/regulated i reckon it will be through someone finding a real clinical use for it. Then it will be prescription in tiny doses in the same way as all pharms. But it'd be a good start.