The Corroboree
GingaNinja

Flourescent lighting

where do people get their fluorescent light apparatus that are being used for pere growing/grafting.

an online search keeps taking me to fancy fluorescent lights but just want the shop or warehouse type ones. or what ever anyone recommends.

cheers

I bought the lights and made a reflector out of a sheet of 4 ply and some panda film

but where did you get the light? im looking for the baton type ones not the compact fluro

My local Bunnings, one of the bigger stores had a good collection of Fluoro lights in both baton type and wall mount.

However went to a place in the local industrial warehouse area and a shop there had a massive selection of anything you want type of Fluro, cant remember the name but they are more the ones that do bulk supply to businesses etc maybe hunt around those kinda stores that deal with lighting for business?

yeah bunnings, can get ones wired with a cord or ones you wire yourself (these are cheaper but need electrician to wire).

yeah bunnings, can get ones wired with a cord or ones you wire yourself (these are cheaper but need electrician to wire).

I accepted that physical challenge - you can dispense with the electrician if you have an ounce of common sense. It ain't that hard...

J.

ou can dispense with the electrician if you have an ounce of common sense. It ain't that hard

I agree, I rigged mine, but I aint gonna go advocate people rig their own lighting as it could be potentially fatal.

Yep, any lighting shop really should have a selection of fluoro batons. I did a similar thing hoping to buy them cheaper online but found that 1. the size was restrictive with aus post not shipping stuff over 1m and 2. it was pretty much just as cheap to buy at a local store... the wiring thing also came into play. Yep get an electrician to wire it up for you, i.e. go past a new house being built in your area with an electricians van out the front and give them a six pack, (this will work best on a friday afternoon). It will take the dude two minutes and will avoid you the hassle of dying.

Alternatively ask the person at the lighting shop if they can wire up one of their batons for you...

An 18w twin fluoro with cool white tubes included shouldn't cost you more than $50.

We also have a wonderful thing called freecycle here... which is a yahoo group thing that lists stuff for free and you also get to list stuff you want... so I listed I want a fluoro baton, someone had one. Now its mine. Yay.

peace

Another thing you could try is to get a cheap lamp from a variety store and harvest what you need

yeah i picked up 2 lights with reflectors at the dump. One thing is I believe the new battens are more energy efficient and all sorts of stuff.

yep.

t5 vs t8 batons ... t5 being the more nrg efficient but more costly initially.