The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Acid techno

Coukd it happen ?? could electro clash herald the return of some wicked techno??

Deep house might? actually be wicked techno, John tejada, moodyman, theo parrish all in sydney (don't know where you are) have all been wicked this year and it's still early..

electro clash seems deliberately fickle plastic temporary catwalk fashion like for people to hang on to like people love to do to techno! but could be a gateway for some??

Nup. its shit. simple as that

Lol, i have to agree with Mu, techno is pretty shitty (loud and distracting), and acid tech would be shitty with an extra touch of weird.

i dont mind hard style dance, psy prog & dark psy, d&b - but acid techno or anything more specifically "techno" is really just shit in my books

I dont like any kind of tech dance.. im a child of rock! (metallica, ect) not too Sepultura heavy tho. thats too loud for me too lol. i have sensitive ears :)

i have no idea what might appeal to you. i'd actually suggest a doof because you'll be stuck there and have to listen to a bunch of it and by that time you're hooked.

hooked - or repulsed - like that time you drank poison, now even the smell of it sends you into seizures

if you're repulsed then it wasn't meant to be.

honestly, rock music is awesome through your home stereo. psy isn't completely awesome until it's through some enormous stereo while you are in the midst of nature pissing tryptamines and stims.

I've been bored with 'new' electronic dance music for about 8 years or so and kinda figured that techno is going through the pathetic regurgitation and shallow reinvention that rock went through in the 80s and early 90's. For 8 years I have not found pelasure in new music and pretty much had to force myself to dance to crap. That is until this weekend. Not surprisingly it happened in melbourne and I have no idea what style it was, but it had some really new elements as well as some really old ones - like the bassline and syncopation from Pump up the volume, but almost unrecognisable as that track. So I think I am going to have to check out a few melbourne parties in the next few months to work out exactly what captured my imagination this weekend. And no, there were no drugs involved. I've made that mistake a few times in the last decade, but when I listen to it straight it is still the same crap.

2 Djs were playing this stuff at this party so it can't be too rare.

any more details about the party/dj's? you've got me curious

melbourne rocks

At least 99 percent of all electroic music has always been shit..

luckily there have always been people (a few) to filter it and make great things happen with whats left..

techno is such a vast genre that saying its crap usually means you have not heard that much of it. I too, thought techno was crap but since i started actively looking for good techno i have found some gems.

all forms of music get stuck in a rut... and slowly come out of them.

and then there's tech trance. the best of both worlds :)

Trance inc tech, hard, anthemic has been at its best for about 4 years now i reckon, i have tired of listening to most other generes of electronic dance music

Who gets into 'technikal' here?

Oh yeah, torston do tell- which party?

Edited by GREEN HOUSE AKA spice1

freedom at about 10pm or so. no idea who the djs were

Victoria rokz0rs the sockz0rs as far as psytrance goes IMO. I pretty much just listen to psy and i've found there's heaps of good music being released.

Who cares if its still got that "oonsit oonsit oonsit" thing goin, thats part of the form. I find it hard to believe Torsten that you havent found any good techno in the past 8 years. maybe you dont look hard enough. maybe you're really specific in what you like. either way there's plenty of non-boring stuff out there (us aussies are crankin it out at the moment too!)

I love innovation. when I was a DJ there was a new style every year or so, and substyles inbetween. Then psy came along in 94 and I was all over it like a rash. Over the next 13 years there were just 3 noticable variation on the psy theme. Even house had more innovation going on - and I don't like house. I got quite excited when techno went minimal, but hey, that's 10 years ago now. That was a substantial change I could relate to. NRG has been cycling through the same re-evolutions for the last 15 years too, but at least it doesn't take itself so fucking seriously.

I must admit my boredom with music has meant that there were some years where I did not keep my finger on the pulse as much as I used to, but for most of the time I still have faith that someone will come up with something new. I regularly scour the online vinyl sites and I am always ready when someone tells me they've found something new. I've still got lots of DJ friends who either tell me that they don't mind that the music isn't going forward, or who are too young to know any better. The rest have moved on.

The night lineup for Freedom was AUTONOMECH, THE BLANK THEORY, OBLIQUE INDUSTRIES, TETRAMETH, PSYCHOGENESIS, SHADOW FX, TRISTAN BOYLE, INTERPULSE, JIGSAW, MOTIVE, AARON SMILES according to the Psyclone Events webpage...

Looks like Tort has been bitten by the proggy bug! Cue the Oztrance flamewars! :P I admit though any time I've seen ShadowFx/Tetrameth and Interpulse play, it always blew my mind.

freedom at about 10pm or so. no idea who the djs were

Hey T attended the same party for its duration. The only duo to play were the Hayes brothers (Shadow Fx vs Tetrameth set) who were playing around ten o clock (as you stated). Motive played before them and dropped similar tunes in many ways). The former write and release as solo artists on Zenon records and often collaborate on tracks together (vid of the 2 of them mixing into a track of Ace Ventura's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HB6RwM0zqc ). Might be wrong but if your referring to the track i'm thinking of its unreleased at this point.

If you wanted to pigeon hole it stylistically you'd call it Progressive Trance, colloquially classified specifically as the "Zenon sound".

T, if you got excited when techno went minimal you should start looking for new music again- the massive resurgence of interest in minimal in countries like Germany in recent years has seen a lot of producers (psytrance included) picking the genre up and trying to make it their own- its great to see aspects of idm, psy/prog trance, glitch, tech and acid mingling and bleeding together in tracks and sets in such a way that the pigeonholes don't fit anymore. Melbourne is just beginning to catch on now to this and it will be great to see the acidy australianized outdoor incarnations engendered by this rapid crossbreeding when they eventually eventuate :wub:

Edited by benjahman

Thanks guys. Will work on this next week.

I didn't see any duo play. I just mentioned "two DJs" because it was the end of one set and the beginning of another.

That sound I heard wasn't really what I know prog as. Maybe prog has moved on and I missed that evolution. But that would be fine by me as all I really want is something new and innovative. I wouldn't even care if a new style developed that I hate. Geez, I've even started listening to aussie R&B in desperation of finding something new that doesn't stink of stagnation.

So yeah, will be looking into that next week [doing tax this week :rolleyes: ].

Just listened to the utube track and no, that's not the style I mean. Thanks for trying. Actually, just realised we got there much earlier. probably about 9ish. So does that mean I should be seeking out motive?

Thanks guys. Will work on this next week.

I didn't see any duo play. I just mentioned "two DJs" because it was the end of one set and the beginning of another.

That sound I heard wasn't really what I know prog as. Maybe prog has moved on and I missed that evolution. But that would be fine by me as all I really want is something new and innovative. I wouldn't even care if a new style developed that I hate. Geez, I've even started listening to aussie R&B in desperation of finding something new that doesn't stink of stagnation.

So yeah, will be looking into that next week [doing tax this week :rolleyes: ].

Just listened to the utube track and no, that's not the style I mean. Thanks for trying. Actually, just realised we got there much earlier. probably about 9ish. So does that mean I should be seeking out motive?

Ahh sorry about that I read your post quickly and my mind must've filled in some non-existent gaps. The track they are mixing into in the clip is someone else's and thus isn't really reflective of their style, just the only clip of the pair of them I could find really. Motive just djs and hasn't released anything, so I wouldn't bother to seek him out personally.

At the end of the day what constitutes good music is pretty damn subjective, if you don't find what your looking for next week Id say your intuition is definitely correct- your best bet is probably just to head to a couple of melbourne outdoors with a more alternative bent musically speaking (e.g. Submerge, Somatica, etc.) or winter warehouse parties. When you happen upon a track you like look at your watch (write down the time if you have to! :wink:) walk up to who's spinning at the end of their set and just tell them what you said in your first post a little less forcefully as well as the time you heard the tune that did it for you and they'll rattle off a few names in a similar vein which you can pop in your phone and your off. The horse's mouth, however unreliable it may turn out to be, is always your best bet with stuff this specific IMO. Best of luck with it anyway, there are few things I hate more than having music fail to do it for me over an extended period.

I kinda find the arguments about what constitutes 'good' music a bit pointless. It's really a matter of taste after all and taste isn't something that one can constructively argue about. However, my perspective isn't so much about good or crap, but about innovation. As I said, I am happy to see music evolving even if it is in a way I dislike. My peeve is about stagnation. What some doofers claim to be a great advancement in style these days simply doesn't qualify in my book. ie, if in 5 years time you can't pick up a track you have never heard and slot it into a timeline of style accurate to within a year or two, then the music stagnated or went around in circles. That's the way I feel about it. Doesn' mean that music was crap, but it means it wasn't innovative.

As for what I heard at freedom, it wasn't so much the fact that I heard one track I liked [this happens quite often], but rather it was the fact that there were a few tracks on either side of the DJ changeover that I felt were innovative, with a couple of track that stood out. So, chasing a DJ that played them is probably the best way to start.