The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tobydoo

peruvian torch altitude

OK, question.....Peruvianus grows at an average altitude of 2,400 - 3000 meters. So I live at 2,200 meters why can we NOT grow peruvianus outdoors here? Altitude is altitude... right... or no?

OK, question.....Peruvianus grows at an average altitude of 2,400 - 3000 meters. So I live at 2,200 meters why can we NOT grow peruvianus outdoors here? Altitude is altitude... right... or no?

they seem to do alright with 100m elevation... :rolleyes:

Both are a factor, and they make up whats called "climate".

You can grow it outdoors... at least 6 months of the year :P

Its the winter cold thats the killer, especially wet cold. Your best chance might be Trichocereus terscheckii, I believe thats the hardiest of the traditional entheogen trichs. I've read it can handle temps even below 10° F if its not been watered for a month, is protected from getting watered, and has a shower cap or foam hat on top (yes really). The next hardiest would be either pachanoi or bridgesii, I've never got a clear answer, those you might have to grow in pots and move to your coldest room for a month in mid winter unless your zone 7a. Peruvian torch (T. peruvianus) likely will never survive your winters.

I'm really damn paranoid so I havent left many out even tho I'm 7a, last year I left a pachanoi out for all but the coldest 3 weeks.. it saw 15°F and survived.. this winter I left it out all winter, at 12°F after being protected from moisture for months the cactus froze solid and died.

If your profoundly determined get T. pachanoi, T. bridgesii, and T. terscheckii seed along with Pereskiopsis for grafting, grow a metric assload of numbered and cataloged seed grown plants indoors for 2 years, then leave all of them outdoors under cover for a winter and continue growing any survivors.

...and continue growing any survivors.

Haha. I like that idea!

Altitude, latitude, longitude, and geographical features all contribute to the over-all climate.

Edited by Teotz'

And your tryin' to start shit.

Take your trolling eslewhere.

Nope i am merely adding as much to the conversation as you do. I was just apluading you, as you do to every one else.

You can't tell me to take my trolling shit elsewhere, what you think with your or so mightie 300 (mostly one liners i bet) and something posts, your now a long enough standing member to tell me what to do? Ha Ha Ha.

TObydoo, your right altuide is altiude but that means everywhere would 1m above sea level would be the smae. And we all know thats not right.

Ok, ok, ok enough...

disp-8359.jpg

Peace Puppy

I think the habitat of Trichocereus peruvianus is vastly effected by geographical elements (The Andes)... Being desert on one side, and deep jungle on the other (From what I've read out of "A Cactus Oddessy")