The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

East Meets West

Sorry about the title, but I couldn't really concisely ask this, so went for something inanely cliched, in the hope a few more people would have a look at the thread, simply out of disgust... I especially seek their opinion. :huh:

Anyway, can anyone recommend books that examine the meeting of various cultures throughout history, with special regard for the effects the culture's favored medicinal drug plants and intoxicants have had on the cultures they are introduced too?

i cant think of any specific book titles, but look into the british royalty selling opium to the chinese :)

Well the first person that comes to mind is Terence Mckenna.

In Food of the Gods there's a good section on plants/drugs/spices and the impact they had when introduced or found by different parts of the world and so on. Interesting information on the monopoly countries played in regards to these plants/drugs also.

Can't really think of anyone else at the moment with specifics to plants/drugs and their effects on others cultures. Although if your after peoples ideas and beliefs and their effects on different countries perhaps check out some of Alan Watts writings.

Hope this helps.

i cant think of any specific book titles, but look into the british royalty selling opium to the chinese

Which sparked i think 2 opium wars as their now known coz the chinese dident want opium, but the british forced it down there pipes.

indeed :) god save the queen! (cause we wont get our fix otherwise! LOL)

'tobacco,a cultural history of how an exotic plant seduced civilization' by iain gately

t s t .

There is a chapter of the book 'The Souls in the Seas' by Scott Taylor, which deals very thoroughly with the effects of tobacco, coffee, chocolate and whale oil on western societies, the people, the attitudes, social and historical data etc.

Very very interesting, though the book largely deals with the question of Cetaceans as posessing consciousness and influencing human affairs, but the one chapter as i mentioned is a very good examination of the history. :) Good luck.

Well the first person that comes to mind is Terence Mckenna.

In Food of the Gods there's a good section on plants/drugs/spices and the impact they had when introduced or found by different parts of the world and so on. Interesting information on the monopoly countries played in regards to these plants/drugs also.

Can't really think of anyone else at the moment with specifics to plants/drugs and their effects on others cultures. Although if your after peoples ideas and beliefs and their effects on different countries perhaps check out some of Alan Watts writings.

Hope this helps.

Def. Mckenna's "Food of the Gods".

Opium Lords by Amy Mcgrath, not bad.