The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

When to graft white seedling?

I started a batch of Turbinicarpus lophophoroides seed and the last seed to sprout has stayed white much longer than the others, it is now passing 2 mm wide and no hint of green. I know some just wait longer before pumping out the chlorophyll... and I know like 1 in 10,000 is albino and dies if you wait too long. How long should I wait for it to turn green before grafting in hopes of saving it if its albino?

post-146-1207103351_thumb.jpg

post-146-1207103359_thumb.jpg

100_3574.jpg

100_3577.jpg

100_3574.jpg

100_3577.jpg

As soon as it is big enough to pick up, slice and whack onto pereskiopsis, you should go for it. That is, as long as it is happily putting out growth (do it before growth stalls or she wont stand a chance) and your peres is healthy and happy too. Just do a bit of reading before attempting (nothing worse than failing when you could have avoided it!). Good stuff Auxin!

Well between yesterday and today it visibly grew. If its still totally lacking green tomorrow I think I'll give it a go. I have good enough hands to make the cut properly... one thing that I think has hurt a few of my grafts is mold that sprouts on the soil surface and is transmitted to the graft union. I figure I can safely spray the peres with 50% isopropanol and let dry before hand but what about spraying the soil surface with extra strong chamomile tea to inhibit the mold from appearing on the soil? Might chamomile odor effect the chances of successful grafting? After all, I assume the azulenes in chamomile have a physiological function in the plant...

a 1 cm top dress in fine shard sand will elliminate 99.9 % chance of mold :)

i would graft now, if your comfortable with it. sooner the better :)

Just took pics for the 16 week since grafting mark and thought I'd upload one in case anyone was curious what happened. It stopped being albino after being grafted and growing a few areoles but the little guy is pumping along, currently 2.25 cm x 3.5 cm :)

post-146-1216771325.jpg

Turbinicarpus_lophophoroides_16w_post_graft_2_.jpg

Turbinicarpus_lophophoroides_16w_post_graft_2_.jpg

Thanks for the update. Shame she didn't stay albino, but at least you have a rather large (and quite nice) Turb in your collection :)

I love Turbinicarpus! Very nice! Don't you think it's time to degraft?

I also had a couple of (possibly) albino Trichocereus and Lophophora seeds, they were all white and soon died...

I dont plan to degraft any time soon. I hope to have it flowering before degrafting so I can add its pollen to my pollen bank as soon as possible, preferably multiple vials. Growing larger than a golf ball on pereskiopsis may prevent an idealized form but getting a source of pollen and seed is more important with the first few plants I get of each species, I dont want to wait 8 years to start trading and hybridizing :wink:

she's a beaut! may i ask how old the seedling was when you grafted it?

I grafted it the day after the pic in the first post when it was about 2 and a half weeks old- my youngest grafting so far.