The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Britney Spears... the Shit?

Does anyone else like Britney Spears' album Blackout?

I don't listen to radio, but I heard a track in a shop and downloaded the album... despite my musical snobbery, I have to admit it's actually fucking brilliant I reckon, is anyone else experiencing similar cognitive dissonance?

It's produced by Timbaland's protege Danja, which may explain why I'm "feelin" it, given my love of hip-hop, another guilty pleasure.

Freakshow? Fo sho, dawg.

i have quite a few guilty pleasures produced by timbaland or danja :) but madonna's new track is pretty disappointing considering...don't listen to it more than a few times cos it's still catchy...i like it except for the madonna bits (and i'm not a madonna hater) i like heaps of odd tracks from justin timberlake, rihanna, nelly furtado, missy elliot, etc. mostly cos of the production (timbaland/danja ... i think production is a bit of an understatement) but i'm not normally hugely into those styles of music

also stuff produced by the neptunes, stargate, and some stuff by jay-z & q-tip

Edited by coin

Guest Øskorei
Does anyone else like Britney Spears' album Blackout?

Hmmm, some background musical interest from those who comment would be cool, to set a sense of comparison. Frankly, 'fucking brilliant' is not something I can fathom from a Spears album, but am interested by this thread nonetheless.

I'm switching to Broadband in about 24 hours (line is set up!) form bullshit 56k all these years, and perhaps it would be symbolically ironic if I made this record my first torrent download.

It better be good, IB, or you gonna owe me 100Mb !! :P

sadf

Edited by Teljkon

i've always found some of her singles pretty catchy. not that any credit for that goes to her.

listen to this, go on. this is probably my favourite band.

it's not very representative, unless you count the solo at 2:19

these guys are coming in winter! if you like melodic death AT ALL... fark they are awesome, best live show i've ever seen.

edit: did i say melodic death? i meant AWESOME melodic death.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

yeah blackout is pretty good. i always remember britney sounding orchestral, i don't remember it being nearly this synth-filled.

edit: has anybody seen the simpsons episode about the pop singer married to the football player?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I like "you want a piece of me" the one on the radio, good on her i reckon. I like the Brittney Bot sound to lol.

Am I the only one that sees this as a huuuuge april fools joke?

unless this is all serious.. and i guess the joke is on me.

Guest Øskorei
edit: did i say melodic death? i meant AWESOME melodic death.

Huh ? Please torrent "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God. Then proceed to transpose this data to a decent Hi-Fi system, and listen to 8, 10 & 6 in that order.

The Children will soon be forgotten.

Edited by Øskorei

Huh ? Please torrent "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God. Then proceed to transpose this data to a decent Hi-Fi system, and listen to 8, 10 & 6 in that order.

The Children will soon be forgotten.

no

COB > LOG

anyway from memory LOG is more like metalcore / brutal death. cool band for sure, but i can't ignore COB's guitar heroics and unforgettable melodies (apparently even they can't forget them as they seem to re-write them)

if it was an april fools joke, it was a damn good one, the best this year (explains why he hasn't made a follow-up comment yet). got everyone to admit liking pop music, heck, got about three of us to download a pop album.

Guys, I'm afraid you give me far too much credit... for example, that I might know what the date is today, or any day!

Well I do know the date today, because episode one of the last season of Battlestar Galactica should have aired lastnight in the US... *goes to check* DAMN IT! C'mon compress that fucker already, fucking Yanks :)

No, I'm afraid I'm just a bit of a pleb... by the way, I should probably clarify I don't think much of the actual lyrical content of the songs, it's kind of teeny-bopperish, but I do love a well produced track of any genre, but especially hip hop as that is what I am into making.

Wow, I must be pretty neat-o if I can make awesome April Fool's Day jokes without even realizing what I have done... bwahaha!

So Oskorei, did the album make it past your sense of musical propriety? :)

you should have just ran with it :rolleyes:

And missed my chance to be self-deprecatory, make a joke about not knowing the date, profess my love for BSG, swear twice, further justify my interest in Britney Spears, mention my production skills, boast and not-so-subtly chide Oskorei all in one post? No way.

it could have been the greatest april fools prank ever.

could have been.

That just goes to prove how awesome I am... I don't need to do the awesomest thing ever of anything because I'm already so assured of being cool.

Anyway, you are just jealous because you fell for the Virgle prank!

i have quite a few guilty pleasures produced by timbaland or danja :) but madonna's new track is pretty disappointing considering...don't listen to it more than a few times cos it's still catchy...i like it except for the madonna bits (and i'm not a madonna hater) i like heaps of odd tracks from justin timberlake, rihanna, nelly furtado, missy elliot, etc. mostly cos of the production (timbaland/danja ... i think production is a bit of an understatement) but i'm not normally hugely into those styles of music

also stuff produced by the neptunes, stargate, and some stuff by jay-z & q-tip

Coin, I hadn't heard of Stargate, I see them on Wikipedia but don't really know any of the artists they have worked with. I usually like crazy sample based stuttery vinyl chops; I'm getting into clubby stuff lately, but there's so much crap, too... what is an album or track that really showcases their sound? Cheers.

stargate are probably best known at the moment for their production of the Rihanna track "don't stop the music" .. lots of tracks by rihanna, beyonce, and i read they're doing mariah carey's new album (uggh :wink: ) and usher's new album...i guess they are considered as european studio wizards (i'm not saying they're similar to timbaland by the way)

i have to admit that as far as pop music goes, i'm always really interested to hear "new directions" and how the more avante garde sounds filter down to and are adapted for the main stream, and it always goes with following the producers (who are often have the majority of song writing credit), not the actual artists. i never listen to radio, so i usually come across this sort of stuff when i'm in someone's car, or a tv ad, but mostly following "related artists" on allmusic.com, etc

i like that distinction between what is trashy & commercial and is fully engineered to appeal to a mass audience, and that which is creative and innovative in a way that captures the interest and fascination of a massive audience....so it's more a curiosity thing for me...though i do truly like timbaland

i listen to a bizarre mix of stuff....the advent of mp3 downloads has really killed my attention span for listening to whole albums, which i used to enjoy...i never listen to full "classical" works any more, for example

if you're looking for older timbaland produced stuff, he's credited as tim mosley ... i like that he supposedly often creates tracks based around samples/loops, but uses them like a template, builds around them, or recreates them acoustically or electronically, and then the original samples are taken out...we can't keep listening to the same breaks for *another* ten years

Edited by coin

stargate are probably best known at the moment for their production of the Rihanna track "don't stop the music"

for a moment there i read that as starship...as in 'we built this city'. used to love that song. still rather partial to it and other 1980s pop...like duran duran and the whole 'new romantics' thing. you know, strapping lads with big hair, make up and keytars.

also have a penchant for 1950s doo-wop...the Platters, Drifters, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the Five Satins...and love a bit Motown..four tops, temptations, otis redding, supremes, martha reeves and the vandellas.

probably the daggiest albums in my collection (and there are many) would be Olivia Newton John and ABBA. imo the latter is underrated in terms of production values, musical arrangment.... and no one can deny the catchiness of some tunes even if the sugary schmaltz factor is high.

I'm a sucker for a catchy melody and/or nicely arranged harmonies (doo-wop...sigh, they sure knew how to craft 4-5 part harmonies).

great thread...gonna have to check out britneys new album.

stargate are probably best known at the moment for their production of the Rihanna track "don't stop the music" .. lots of tracks by rihanna, beyonce, and i read they're doing mariah carey's new album (uggh :wink: ) and usher's new album...i guess they are considered as european studio wizards (i'm not saying they're similar to timbaland by the way)

i have to admit that as far as pop music goes, i'm always really interested to hear "new directions" and how the more avante garde sounds filter down to and are adapted for the main stream, and it always goes with following the producers (who are often have the majority of song writing credit), not the actual artists. i never listen to radio, so i usually come across this sort of stuff when i'm in someone's car, or a tv ad, but mostly following "related artists" on allmusic.com, etc

i like that distinction between what is trashy & commercial and is fully engineered to appeal to a mass audience, and that which is creative and innovative in a way that captures the interest and fascination of a massive audience....so it's more a curiosity thing for me...though i do truly like timbaland

i listen to a bizarre mix of stuff....the advent of mp3 downloads has really killed my attention span for listening to whole albums, which i used to enjoy...i never listen to full "classical" works any more, for example

if you're looking for older timbaland produced stuff, he's credited as tim mosley ... i like that he supposedly often creates tracks based around samples/loops, but uses them like a template, builds around them, or recreates them acoustically or electronically, and then the original samples are taken out...we can't keep listening to the same breaks for *another* ten years

Okay, I checked out some of the Rihanna stuff... definitely more of a European dance vibe than the Timbaland feel, but still pretty neat IMO. Funnily enough, the only times in my life I've gotten into radio-friendly music (apart from golden oldies' stations) is when I'm a stoner, I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing... probably just a thing.

I also think pop is taking some pretty interesting directions lately... the fact that it is grabbing the attention of people who increasingly consider themselves serious about music artistry is intriguing, and it's always fun to read the indignant letters to the editor after Rolling Stone or someone do a feature on someone like Britney Spears. It's cool to see this kind of hybridizing between different genres, although I guess it takes a bit of the gleam off when we consider it's really just driven by marketing for money. At the same time, Timbaland seems to think he's not just doing something good for pop, but also for hip-hop, and I suspect he might be partly right... I'm all for keeping it real etc, but maybe part of keeping it real is not being a self-righteous narrow minded snob! (me)

I have been exposed to so many kinds of music since getting into the downloading scene, stuff I would never usually have bothered with, and it's really sparked a passion for music... or maybe I'm just rationalizing? I don't think so though (if I was, I wouldn't though, would I?) :scratchhead: Nah, but it's an awesome way to get rare stuff... does anyone else check out music blogs where the guys just rip and upload heaps of rare vinyl from obscure locales? A great way to waste a lazy afternoon...

also have a penchant for 1950s doo-wop...the Platters, Drifters, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the Five Satins...and love a bit Motown..four tops, temptations, otis redding, supremes, martha reeves and the vandellas.

probably the daggiest albums in my collection (and there are many) would be Olivia Newton John and ABBA. imo the latter is underrated in terms of production values, musical arrangment.... and no one can deny the catchiness of some tunes even if the sugary schmaltz factor is high.

I'm a sucker for a catchy melody and/or nicely arranged harmonies (doo-wop...sigh, they sure knew how to craft 4-5 part harmonies).

I totally love 50's and 60's pop... doowop, motown, surf rock, even a bit of country (Conway Twitty, anyone?). Like you, I love for the melodies and harmonies, but also the analogue warmth suffusing the whole era.

On that note, anyone into this kind of stuff that would like to know what 60's pop sounds like when hybridized with glitchy electronica by a multi-intrumentalist with a Ph.D in Maths (I think I see one hand in the back... no wait, it's just Xipe picking his nose), check out Caribou's new album "Andorra." I never really got into his earlier stuff, but after listening to that album I'm going to have another listen... it's definitely a new favorite.

Edited by chilli

yeah, "andorra" is interesting/nice

if you like that - do you know Cornelius IB?? check him/them out.."Sensuous" is the most recent album..very catchy.."Point" is also excellent

you probably are familiar with Air also

i downloaded some of the britney tracks...i just don't like her voice that much...the only modulation she seems to have is that sexy gruff/growl thing...do like some of the production/beats though..noticed there's a pharrell williams/neptunes track on there

hehe duran duran did a few shows in oz this past week...they put out a track late last year produced by justin timberlake & timbaland, and timbaland did a few other tracks for the recent album. maybe jt sang on the track, i still haven't heard it...mm timbaland is a bit of a slut

i don't mind Britney, i quite liked her "Poison" track from a few years back, but i can't see myself listening to a whole album; however i liked the description IB gave ov the "Andorra" album. so i'm getting that. Thanks for the review.