The Corroboree
Ed Dunkel

FREE Lophophora seed 2008!!!

thanks greatly ED! :D Always appreciate the donation.

will update the seedring this week if not today, keep ya eye out people.

AGAIN, I HAVE SOME SPARE SEEDS THAT HAVE FRESHLY CROPPED

I have approximately 100 seeds to send out.

This time the challenge is this:

Post a picture of your previous success with the free Loph seed give-away and win a packet of free seed. Beautiful grafting pictures, strange mutations or other success stories will win out.

Also, because it is unfair for those that didn't participate in the previous Ed's free give-aways, I will give several packets out to newbies.

Trades are welcome (as always ;) ) but not required.

I'll be waiting to see how my babies are doing :)

Well I didn't get any seeds to get success stories from, and I'm not quite a newbie anymore, but if no one else posts I'd be happy to take a few off you and hopefully plant over my holidays and graft some onto the oversize peres gorwing out the back :lol:

Hi Ed I am in the same boat as alkatrope would love some seeds so will PM you and maybe get lucky maybe not!!!

Its worth a shot and thanx either way !

I'm not sure if I was part of the free seeds give away - but around about the same time you sent me some mixed Loph seeds. the following pics are the results. I think your seeds make up about 80% of the larger grafts. I say this because they are not labeled as L williamsii, etc.. but just mixed lophs. There are lots of diffusa I think as in the following pic.

post-903-1224490369_thumb.jpg

not so many like this

post-903-1224490395_thumb.jpg

and the rest

post-903-1224490420_thumb.jpg

so if there are free seeds I would like to be in the running to give them a go.

- trades - Your welcome to anything I have - really just fungi but we can discuss if you like.

cheers and thanks again.

and the rest

WT...

you suck. lol. nice grafts... Mine all stalled, but are coming back now the warmer weather has arrived.

:)

Edit - Ed... i'd throw my hand up for some if they were there... i dunno which are which now, but will post a pic of my grafts when i get home... :)

Edited by gilligan

WT...

you suck. lol. nice grafts... Mine all stalled, but are coming back now the warmer weather has arrived.

:)

:P

these are the ones that worked... you should see the ones that didn 't !!

I think I'm getting the hang of it now - had 100% with the last lot I did. :)

Hey there.

I am very intrested in the ways of perpetual cycles of kindness. Literally spreading the seed.

If some are still available, a newbie like myself could and would love to participate in this cycle.

Hope all is well with everyone.

<off topic>

Since it has come up here how do you get the loph seedlings to stick to the peres? I've tried and failed. masking tape: failed. brushed on some liquid latex, I thought this was a stroke of genius on my part: failed.

/offtopic continued

Since it has come up here how do you get the loph seedlings to stick to the peres?

Ensuring you use well watered peres and seedlings, hold off watering for a day or two to encourage a slight stickiness in the peres sap. It should hold with this alone, or you may use the juice squeezed from a fat peres leaf on top of the cut before placing scion on top. Press the scion down gently and make sure the vascular bundles are aligned. Cover with a glass or humidity dome that has been sprayed with water on the inside to ensure high humidity.

That or UTFSE :P

That or UTFSE :P

fair point and thanks :lol:

Sorry, I have been in between jobs and not so attentive to the free seed topic.

I'm sending out PM to some of you guys so far and the rest I will read over the weekend (I hope).

I'm a sucker for pictures, keep them coming!!!! :)

Ed Dunkel

Hi ED,

Thanks for the last round. I decided not to graft your little ones, if there's one thing that peyote has taught me it is to be patient. That said, here is the progress... I'm quite happy with how they're going, the really small ones you can see are from my competition graft crossed with my caespitosa (just wish I put up the photos when it ended) anywho, here's the pic of your lovely little ones (actually they're quite fat):

post-1315-1224853582_thumb.jpg

and under more dramatic lighting...

post-1315-1224853833_thumb.jpg

and then, "ïf only I had a macro lense but I'll have to make do with my camera phone" conditions:

post-1315-1224854214_thumb.jpg

Anyway, to try to qualify for your successes here are 2 of my recent grafts and my second ever graft; the side graft... I thought this guy wasn't going to go anywhere, it stalled for over 1 year, only growing roots and about 1/10th of its size in the entire time. Then I decided to do the diffusa grafts (the larger ones above it to the left and right) and it suddenly tripled in size.post-1315-1224855264_thumb.jpg

I guess it just shows that even if you graft, the only thing that matters is that you actually care for and love the plant no matter how long it takes to mature (just like family... End semi-philosophical rant now)....

post-1315-1224855264_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1224855264_thumb.jpg

Am I too late to throw my hat in?

I've liked cacti for years but I'm new to the world of their propagation. Recently i sprouted my first cactus seeds (13 L. will.) When they were about 2 weeks old i grafted one of them onto a small opuntia pad.

That was 10 days ago, but it still looks fat, healthy and green so I'm hoping it'll be ok! :)

i went the non graft road as well even though i entered the sowing into the graft comp lol

7 went in, 5 came up and are very healthy but still in absolute infant stage even though just over 1 year old; grown in humidity outdoors in good shade. I really want them to make it so am in no hurry, will probably put them under soft lights eventually to get them growing well.

will get a pic if it's possible, but not much to see :P

don't send any the seedring way this year, lots of things just get ordered and not sent in so it's more effective for you to directly send them to people who will utilise them. :) Thanks Ed, can't wait for them to grow up and flower :D wooh

<off topic>

I've never grafter with pereskiopsis...

I've only used myrtillo and T bridgesii...

Is it easier?

Hey Ed, thanks for the generous offer of seeds. I have plenty at the moment so I won't request any but I would like to add a picture of a loph graft to the thread of interests sake.

cheers

post-3173-1224902246_thumb.jpg

if the giveaway is still going may i be put in the running?

never was part of previous giveaway but its always exciting to have a go.

really like the sound of fresh seed ready to grow

Hey Ed, thanks for the generous offer of seeds. I have plenty at the moment so I won't request any but I would like to add a picture of a loph graft to the thread of interests sake.

cheers

That loph is going off! :wub:

That loph is going off! :wub:

Yeah cheers cycle, she's not bad for a little tacker (4cm across including the pups).

post-3173-1224931096_thumb.jpg

OK, all the seed has been taken!

For those hat missed out, please come again next time I have some spare.

Also, thanks for the piccies of excellent looking Lophs. Feel free to keep them coming!!!

Ed Dunkel

living in the states stinks :(

Yeah cheers cycle, she's not bad for a little tacker (4cm across including the pups).

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool........... :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

thats some kick arse little Loph.

nice work.

H.

Ed, just want to say thanx for the seed . Planning a loph garden and with your generous offer I hope to have my first home grown.. Anyway many thanx...

P.S they arrived today!!

Edited by Free Man

Well mine arrived today. In fact i have just finished planting them. I also have some peres on order so its all getting set to go. :)

Hopefully one day I'll have some pix to show.

Many thanks, its much appreciated.

cheers wob