The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Habanero ice cream sauce

This is a recipie I came up with I think:)

What you do is take some yummy fruity habs (1/2- full fill the bottle) and chop in in halves or quaters or what ever and add a generous amount of cinnamon, touch of nutmeg and even some orange pieces if you like, however dont add so much ingredients that it overpowers the fruity taste of the habs :). Then pour a mix of boiling lemon juice and viniger into the bottle containing the other ingredients and cap it. Its nice as just adjust the ingredients to your taste. Looks nice too cos it goes orange or red depending on the habs :D

Now add to vanilla icecream and yummo, the heat is there but its negated by the fat and coolness in the icecream. Would also go well in fruit drinks and alcoholic drinks.

:lol: now I know your a fellow chiliehead, normal people can not register 'taste' in habs :P Sounds good tho

oi, did those seed make it through? The cumari ou passarinho would be good for this

good a place as any to start this discussion.

i did get into chilli for a year or two, and got to the stage where i sought it.

eating chillie is known to release endorphines. is it REALLY the taste that people are after, or is it in your head, like the way a beer seems to taste so good when you start to become addicted to it?

yeah mate seeds are planted :D

The great thing about this is the icecream, even my gf can eat it and not feel too much of a burn, and she isnt a hot fan. I reckon more lemon juice instead of viniger now but.

TI there is certianly different tastes to chilli and yes I do seek certian tastes. Birds eyes for instance taste strongly and I think only make good additions to somthing like sambal olik, good habs are very fruity just cut one and smell it :) and not somthing I add when I want a chilli taste. some taste like hot capsicum others have much nicer tastes. But yes the burn is good.

Edited by teonanacatl

okay, so it makes food taste different ways i'll grant you that and agree that hab is nicer than birds eye.

cutting more to the chase i guess, does anyone think that you get to the point where you think it tastes so good and you just WANT IT *because* of the chemical effect? i don't know, but i'm pushing the issue because of my experience with beer, and coffee, which let's face it, the first time they are aweful but the more you have them, the better they seem to taste, until they can only be described as divine.

okay, so it makes food taste different ways i'll grant you that and agree that hab is nicer than birds eye.

cutting more to the chase i guess, does anyone think that you get to the point where you think it tastes so good and you just WANT IT *because* of the chemical effect? i don't know, but i'm pushing the issue because of my experience with beer, and coffee, which let's face it, the first time they are aweful but the more you have them, the better they seem to taste, until they can only be described as divine.

I definitely 'chase-the-burn' to the point of having to move food away from myself to stop me 'topping-up' even after I'm well full.

Probably posted this before but:

This is from the _Austin Chronicle_ May 3, 1991 (Reprinted without

permission).

The Chile Pepper Counterculture

-------------------------------

(by Robb Walsh)

Endorphins, those natural drugs that are 100 to 1,000 times more

powerful than morphene, are released into our brain when we eat hot

chile petters, according to a New Mexico University scientist. Like

other psychotropics, including peyote, coca and tabacco, chile peppers

alter our state of consciousness. In the case of chile peppers the

high is non-hallucinogenic, but it is addictive. Experimental

psychologist Frank Etscorn of the New Mexico Institute of Mining and

Technology told the New Mexico Chile Conference that chile addicts are

hooked on endorphins. "We get slightly strung out, but it's no big

deal," he says.

Getting a runner's high without the running may be a bigger deal than

Etscorn imagines. It also explains a lot about the perverse

psychology of chile-pepper lovers. Eating more chile peppers produces

more pain, more pain produces more endorphis. Maintaining a steady

burn has been called "mouth surfing" by many observers of the emerging

chile pepper counterculture. The endorphins and physical sensations

that flood the brain when a chile addict bites into a pepper suddenly

interrupt the thought processes and overwhelm the senses. This

phenomenon has been described by doctors as a "rush." According to

Dr. Weil, a physician quoted by Austin chile expert Jean Andrews,

chile junkies "glide along on the strong stimulation, experiencing it

as something between pleasure and pain that ... brings on a high state

of consciousuness."

The overwhelming body of opinion indicates that the pain of peppers is

intense but causes no real damage. That's why blistering or reddening

is not associated with pepper pain. . . . But ... don't worry about

hurting yourself eating chile peppers.

The chemical capsicin is fooling your nerves into believing that they

are burning in hell, when in fact nothing is wrong with them at all.

And your dumb body rushes all those painkillers to those special

receptors in the brain. That's a pretty good practical joke, huh?

Pass the hot sauce.

"Peppers, the Domesticated Capsicums"

by Jean Andrews, University of Texas Press

Teo - that recipe sounds very interesting and will definitely be tried out, thanks.

And lob me an addy - I've tons of cactii material for you (long story again, but sorry for tardiness).

ed

beer, and coffee, which let's face it, the first time they are aweful but the more you have them, the better they seem to taste, until they can only be described as divine.
Most drugs I either loved or hated straight away and that generally stuck. Coffee, tobacco, weed I liked at my first taste. Beer I didnt like at first taste but I drank it for a year or two cause I had mates thatd bug the shit out of you if you were sober and would... do things... if you had hard liquor and overdid it a bit, I never acquired a taste for it. Chillies I hated at first because THE ubiquitous chillie here is green jalapeno and thats just nasty IMO. Eventually I discovered the good tasting chillies, some of which I had an instant liking for others I never found a use for. I suppose my liking for chillies varies along the rate at which liking for different foods in general does, rather than an addictive buildup reminiscent of drugs.
A man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age.

I've been enjoying sweet chilli sauce on icecream for awhile, it's pretty good.

P.S. Off topic and besides the article that Ed posted is old but "runners high" is no longer linked to endorphins, that was always pie in the sky. Now it's thought it's possibly linked to cannaboid receptors.

"P.S. Off topic and besides the article that Ed posted is old but "runners high" is no longer linked to endorphins, that was always pie in the sky. Now it's thought it's possibly linked to cannaboid receptors"

so, exercise doesn't release endorphins, OR, endorphins are not what make people addicted to exercise? OR, endorphins do make you addicted to exercise, but aren't responsible for runner's high (whatever the hell that is). maybe i should look it up myself :/

that article is cool. it makes me want to go and torture myself. i think a major turn-off for me is the unavoidably runny nose.