The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Disturbing Video

Intresting timing on this post though there was just a big recall in the states for bad beef. Some farm workers are going to get in trouble for animal cruelty.

Edited by Teljkon

any form of unnecessary suffering is evil.

buggered if i could ever click on that link. i just dont get animal cruelty, if someone could inflict that upon an animal, what could they do to a fellow human?? punishment for cruelty should be severe.

moved from cape york thread:

QUOTE(Vertmorpheus @ Feb 16 2008, 02:05 PM) *

Turtles... theyre protected, but not endangered in some local twist of the law and basically as long as youre a local you can take them, I think there are similar arrangements for whales in alaska and other sea creatures with the Maori people in NZ?

-----

i'm a bit confused. i just made a statement in the other thread, but now i've checked on their status under australian law. 6 out of 7 sea turtle species are present in australian waters. under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 all six are protected, two ARE ENDANGERED, the rest are listed as vulnerable.

outside of australian law, under the 2000 IUCN (World Conservation Union), all six are on the 'red list of endangered animals'.

"Turtles up there are rarely taken at anything other than quite mature sizes, non breeding"

are non-breeding turtles larger than other sexually mature turtles? that's interesting because it implies they don't stop growing. if that's the case i'm happy that breeders are rarely taken.

anyway i don't want it to seem like i can't appreciate that people need to obtain food. it's obvious that things like trawling, introduction of terrestrial predators and ruthless hunting in the past have far more to do with low turtle numbers than indig australians... however.. it must also be appreciated that hunting of turtles (be that poaching, or legal hunting by indig folk) is the only present INTENTIONAL act of turtle killing.

haha, not sure if it was that being refd back to this thread TIdeal, or my "clearing up" of hastily stated factoids :P

Well there ya go, someone did the homework lol.... tI'd like to say islanders are taking only those not listed as endangered, or just barely vulnerable, But I cant be sure... Im not sure exactly what species they tend to take, theyre lightly beaked with speckled shells in the green/yellow spectrum and get pretty damned big, maybe a metre long? they dont get to a certain size and stop breeding ,afaik, by that I really meant "only usually seen to take big meaty ones that arent currently waiting to lay eggs"... of course, sommetimes ones with eggs are taken, then they're hatched, or eaten... theres a fair difference in approach between "the old timers" and "young folks" that have been to Cairns etc. But yeah, its hardly the most policed policy around, and theres plenty of braeches of it im certain... its rarely regarded as "normal fair" anymore, if youve seen anything about the faroe islands and their whaling, its a similar social position... symbolic, uniting, reinforcing of ID rather than a truly critical protein source as it was in times gone by. Not sure how traditional a lever action rifle and a 60hp johnson motor is, but thats touchin on the list of reasons Aborigines and Islanders don't see entirely eye to eye.... hard not to get a bit puffed up when you cant wander a patch of scrub down here without ppl assumin youre growin drugs or stealing things, but theres people up there that are well known to be malayan/south sea islander hybrids without a drop of "local" bloodlines hunting dugongs with semi auto AK's and fishfinders... but I guess if its a matter of over policing getting int he way of people using the earths gifts, or underpolicing meaning a few abuse the system, I reckon I'll go for the free for all approach and hope basic mammalian sensibility rears its head later on, for the slower thinkers.

Then theres dugong... that stuffs weird, reverse pork chops it 2 inches of crackling n blubber, half an inch of meat pouring with grease... somehow fried dugong blubber tastes more like fried tofu than it has any right to :P

I don't eat any animal that I wouldn't feel personally comfortably with whacking and processing... so fish n chooks are in, anything with big brown eyes and a family structure is out, as is anything I see having a "reflective moment" in a paddock somewhere... course, I still use blood n bone on the veggies sometimes and wear leather shoes... but theyre colorados, so its leather from SOUTH AMERICA so its all ok :P not sure about the karmic maths behind the blood n bone but I figure theyre not rearing animals just to be turned into base minerals later on...so I sleep ok. Byproducts be thy name.

As I was saying to someone here the other night, put me in a lifeboat with a cow and two months at sea, and I reckon youd just find me trying to get the cow to eat some of my fish :lol: Or I'd be taking turns with the cow hopping out to paddle the raft while theo ther takes a rest... I really cant see myself stabbing it to death, carving bits out of its arse and chowing down. Then again I cant see most "proud meateaters" doing the same either, if it came to that... as long as its plastic wrapped and neatly trimmed waiting to just be tossed into a pan, ppl are a lot happier. Start getting into removing bladders and cleaning out abdominal cav and I think many ppl would develop a newfound love for tempeh.

Goooooo Mammals!

VM

Including homo sapiens sapiens teo?

Sure if your in a situation where by you need to eat one, though then Im sure death by natural circumstances would be prefered. I personally dont mind if somone chows down on my remains in a survival situation.

The turtles are generally green turtles. Despite how that website makes them sound like there isnt many left there are shitloads, Id see 10+ a day, and there are alot more breeding grounds then those listed.

Sure killing an animal for fun is mean, does that make catch and release fishing mean? I figure catch and release fishing is practise for when I need food, it teaches me to be a fisherman, so Im ok with that. Its sort of like what a lot of bow hunters do where they stalk the animals right up untill the perfect shot then just dont fire. They have enough meat but need practise.

Dugong is yummo to :D

God eats souls.

Edited by teonanacatl

"having a "reflective moment" in a paddock somewhere"

bwahahahahah.

while hindus are strict vego's you have to wonder whether cows were afforded a special sacred status just because of their milk, or because of their fungal bonuses.

i think you're correct about blood n bone. it's basically byproduct and it wouldn't really affect the meat industry if that stuff had no commercial value.

as for leather i'm guilty myself, workboots all seem to be leather and i have a roo suede hat. i've often wondered how much incentive leather adds to the beef industry. it is probably a decent fraction of their profit-per-beast, but at least on the plus side it means they get looked after better. anyway i'm required to wear workboots i don't see that i have much choice in the matter.

i get angry reading about indonesian fisherman dragging in sharks just to take the fin, but then, i know that plenty of aussie trawling crews would do exactly the same whereas the indonesian fisherman are absolutely dirt poor and just trying to make a buck. the (already affluent) australians have no excuse they are just greedy.

i've been meaning to add one other thing regarding the sourcing of food. most people probably don't find rearing their own food as adventurous as hunting, and possibly it's less rewarding and more hard work. it probably requires more outlay too, and a possibility of your hard work being ruined. nonetheless, it's really the number one reason why agrarian cultures overtook hunter-gatherer cultures so overall it's the more effective system and it's perfectly doable in the tropics with the right techniques.

there is an interesting theory about stonehenge that agrarian britons longed for the wild roaming hunter-gatherer days of old, sick of the drudgery of growing crops. i won't go into details unless requested, but there are very solid reasons to believe that stonehenge ceremonies, held by druids with advanced knowledge of the stars, were an attempt to bring about a re-emergence of the lunar-based paradigm of old by showing the moon to be superior to the solar-based paradigm/god of agriculture.

as for the devil

"...and prickly poppy is eaten in the underworld. and all the plants that are not eaten on earth shall be eaten in the underworld."

read that somewhere in the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants. probably the prickly poppy section...

as for the actual topic, meat eating is lame. it's usually tasteless, we get hundreds of times more than our ancestors dealt with, and is mean to the animal unless they live in a field rather than a cage. however it is easier, just because our society is so used to it. that's why i do it, it would be more difficult to search out 'vego' alternatives all the time, though i try to limit my meat intake.

pure vegetarianism annoys me though (not as much as vegans...) because it's just a waste of time. what is wrong with eating an animal that lived happily and was killed humanely every now and then? and chickens don't want their eggs you know. of course battery hens should have been outlawed decades ago but hell...buy free range genius!

and as for the actual actual topic; i didn't watch the video and dont plan to. but i want to know what animal is being skinned. those peta videos are just stupid, it isnt as though pig farmers are supposed to throw bricks at the pigs. it's hyperbole and propaganda. however noone should say "i dont want to know" when you tell them how their meat is made, these people are fuckwits.

i'm doing a bit of a jono post here (no offence man, your posts are great, they just take me ages to read) so i will summarise: it is unnatural not to eat meat, but it is also unnatural to eat processed meat for every meal, which comes from an animal that lived in a tiny cage all of it's short life, as most people in our country (and definitely america) do.

ps i want to cut off shark fin fishermen's arms and then throw them back in the water and see how they fare. it isnt that hard to cut off the fin and then kill it, why be such a turd? obviously theyre doing it because theyre poor but just taking 3 or 4 seconds extra each fish isn't going to have a substantial impact on their earnings.

well, when you have a shark in a tiny boat, you basically want it out of your boat before it thrashes itself free and chomps your arm off. killing them probably doesn't do much to stop this thrashing/chomping.

i don't see a major difference anyway.

either way you have just killed a creature and taken it's most valuable part and completely wasted the rest.

to imply that it isn't wasted because it becomes fishfood is like saying 'war is okay because it feeds the grass'.

ummmm anything that ever has or will ever be eaten is what god eats.

ummmm, how many times do I have to say this, god eats krill... or, maybe the souls of krill... but defiantly krill in some form

god definitely eats quite a lot of krill but i think your ideas are very limited.

haven't you heard of post-whoring?

i don't like the idea of making a post and then changing it to add an extra thought. somebody might see the post a second time and think 'nah, i've read that post, i'm through with it', missing out on my extra remark and causing all sorts of chaos.

dfgd

Edited by Teljkon

god is everything

some things eat krill

god eats krill

but god also eats anything else that is eaten

God eats whales, as largest amount of protein you can source for the price of one spirit.

Take it up with the Dalai Lama, he (mostly) said it first.

BUT whales do eat krill... so Xipe can be right too.

Now everyone's happy... except the whales... but not as many unhappy whales as chickens.

"Quarter Minky n a large chips thanks!"

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

spirit has no price it's eternal

unless god takes the protein, then shreds the spirit in a black hole just to be a bastard

the almighty

alpha and omega

one and only

you have heard this concept somewhere yes?