The Corroboree
spunwhirllin

Diplopterys cab

i look forward to this plant being made available in australia as i am sure everyone here is as well.

Excellent work!

I vow to go and bring a Diplopterys cutting/seeds back from the Amazon if nobody esle has it in cultivation by then and the world doesn't end in 2012 .

Some more info has come to light. I did some research on Malpighiceae seed morphology tonite and found that Diplopterys has a modified samsara. So, rather than having a straight wing, the wing has been contorted into a ruffled ball. The ruffly things in the herbarium sheet that I didn't believe could be the seeds are indeed the young seeds! So, we have established that the straight winged seeds that are occasionally sold are not Diplopterys carerana [although they are a useful plant regardless].

The text also said that the seed structure of Diplo is otherwise pretty much identical with Banisteriopsis. Now, this is a problem. Caapi seeds are [as mentioned before] impossible to extract from the seedcoat and there is only one seed per wing. Then how does the Diplo seed presented here come so clean and come with a flat side where they appear to have paired up?

After this new information I am now inclined to give these seeds the benefit of the doubt. I think we can all be very excited because it seem Diplo is finally being made available [and I feel like a tool for getting it so wrong].

If this is real, it's incredible... I have never seen her in flower..

alan shoemaker

Good link for those looking: http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/malpigh/Int...orphFruit2.html , thanks Darcy.

Please tell us more shoey, I'd love to know the experiences of someone who has worked with chaliponga, like use, cultivation, location climate or anything else u could elaborate on :)

Welcome aboard!

Edited by shruman

A friend has just sent me pics of his diplo flowers and I will ask if I can repost the images. He is also hoping for these flowers to develop into seeds shortly [plant is in its native habitat]. I hope I can post pics of each stage over the next few weeks.

Great,we are in agreement.

I had faith in the seed once I read about and posted the following,

It does seem that Diplopterys has been placed into the sub-family Byrsonimoideae.I'm trying to fiqure out what the basis is for this re-designation.It seems that the Malpighiaceae has been divided into vines,shrubs,and arboreal.Vines seem to produce winged fruits for dispersal,while shrubs exploit waterways and animals for dispersal.

I remember chaliponga being called ''oco yage'',is this not ''water yage''? So it seems plausable that diplopterys seeds would be wingless if it is indeed a shrub.

Anyone else have seeds that have germed yet?

Fresh seed seems to be the best.

Edited by spunwhirllin

I've recently been in touch with a nurseryman who has grown and propagated D.c. via air layering. I've invited him to join the discussion, so hopefully he will take an interest. For now, I'll paraphrase a couple of his assessments on the Argentine seed and spun's seedlings...

re: seed - does not look right, should not be moist & juicy (perhaps the photo exaggerated this), and should have at least a wing or winglet.
re: spun's seedling photos - never seen a seedling before, but they look wrong to me... leaves should be less fleshy looking, and should be longer, skinny, and more pointed than even caapi. these leaves look more like Psychotria; are there domatia on the underside of leaves? but the seeds look too round to be Psychotria.

I suspect this nurseryman is from the company Native habitat.If I recall correctly their plants did have pointier leaves than the typical Diplop.

The leaves don't have the espina's(domatia).

psychotria,espina are only on some mature leaves......these too young

t s t .

I'm a couple of weeks into having these seeds on the heat mat. I got some from Mars of Old, and some from the Argentinian vendor. They appear to be identical.

The link that shruman posted shows a cavity in the morphed samara structure that does seem to fit the shape of these seeds like a glove.

Fingers crossed.

If this is real, it's incredible... I have never seen her in flower..

alan shoemaker

And welcome to the discussion Alan!

I just took a look at some newly emerged leaves,They do taper to a fine point.It seems that environmental conditions play a vital role in morphology.

I've placed them in a more humid environment about two weeks ago.

The psychotria espina only seem to show themselves when contions are just right.Some leaves have them and others don't,even on the same plant.The leaves toward the interior of the shrub seem to have them most often,microclimate?

been looking at trouts sst.........worth the money 4 the pics alone!!!

nice pic of diplo seedling on page 233

2 great half page pics on page 222

more pics pages 4,166 and 217

t s t .

So has anyone come up with any idea of what a true diplopterys seed would look like? It's odd there is a bunch of conflicting information on this plant. I have a bunch of seeds that are straight winged seeds. They were sold to me as diplopterys cabrerana seeds. They said the seeds are from the same plants that they harvest diplopterys leaf to sell. I also got some Caapi seeds from them> While the caapi seeds have wings and it easily ruffles apart like taking a feather and seperating the blades of the feather, The supposed diplopterys seeds have a tougher wing. Almost like thin balsa. If you tried to ruffle the wing apart like a caapi it would probably break. I have a connection for the Psychotria looking large seeds. But i don't want to put forth all the time if its not diplopterys.

Diplo does not have straight wings.

Here is a drawing of the morphed crumpled up wing.

frtDiplo.gif

So does the wing seperate from the seed Torsten?

that's the million dollar question.

if it does then the clean seed that is available at the moment would likely be the real thing.

Personally I would have though that it would be as inseparable as in caapi, but my previous assumptions re Diplo have been wrong, so I am not going to rely on this one either.

It should be possible to do a TLC on a leaf from the seed grown by a few folks to see if it contains spice, which would be a further confirmation.

I'm not encouraged by the viability of the available seed ATM. I planted about 25 seeds about 6 weeks ago, and none have sprouted. We'll see what the next few weeks have in store.

Spun, I recall seeing your moniker spray painted on walls around Eugene Oregon, some years ago, notably by the railroad tracks near my home. Am I to asssume that was you? (Just curious; not hostile).

Pisgah,I hope atleast a few come up for you,fingers crossed!

Sorry Friendly,wasn't me.

I wouldn't do such a thing anyhow,I've got better things to do.Perhaps you've seen Anok sprayed around a few places,but thats a common expression.

I've never lived in Eugene though, I'm about an hour away.

Edited by spunwhirllin

Any updates on this amazing plant?

Is a real specimen in cultivation yet?